1979 Honda cb650z cafe build

More goodies arrived yesterday. My stainless exhaust, muffler and pipe, no headers yet. I think I'm going to buy some stainless pipe and fab up the headers. No real options other than the Mac 4 into 1 and everyone is running that. Man it would be nice to have all stainless on there buffed up. I wonder if the cb550 exhaust ports line up???? I believe the engines are very similar???

Also received my new gas cap with mounting flange from Dime City, nice product. Just have to drill out the existing stuff with a 2 3/4" hole saw then this puppy can slide right in and be bolted on. I like the look of the bolt-on vs soldering in the brass ring.

No rear rim yet and the new rear tire keeps staring at me in the garage.....install me please!!!!

Well that's all for now.

Attachments

• Dime City gas cap.JPG
    Dime City gas cap.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 943
  • GP extreme exhaust 3.JPG
    GP extreme exhaust 3.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 1,021
  • GP extreme exhaust.JPG
    GP extreme exhaust.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 929
Ride509 said:
I love it, beside the fact that it's about identical to what I am currently building. Guess great minds think alike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a link to your build or some pics????

Here is the only pic I have waiting to do a build thread till I get farther along . Currently it's apart because I am welding up the frame . Putting a hoop in and doing some gussets
737d253ab74cfc1942cc52bed0ba6e3c.jpg

sivilized said:
Can you tell me what seat and pan that is? Have a link?

http://caferacerseatandtank.com/

Have a look around their site, they have several different seats & oil tank options. great to deal with. I ordered seat Number 3, its about 23.75" long. They also make a longer version of this seat. Tuck rolled tan leather for the seat.

Ride509 said:
Here is the only pic I have waiting to do a build thread till I get farther along . Currently it's apart because I am welding up the frame . Putting a hoop in and doing some gussets
737d253ab74cfc1942cc52bed0ba6e3c.jpg

Looking good, I see you are also dealing with Devin at Cognito Moto. He has some great stuff there. What are your plans for exhaust??? I'm talking to a company up here in Canada that is just starting to make stainless exhausts (Hindle style) for our 650's. He should have a prototype ready in a couple of weeks which I'm going to buy. Let me know if you are interested and I will forward there contact info???

I am planning on building one myself . I have done some ss car exhaust with 90s and 45s. Was planning on going more of a gp style . Like the Dan Moto but with a cone end instead of the open end

Ride509 said:
I am planning on building one myself . I have done some ss car exhaust with 90s and 45s. Was planning on going more of a gp style . Like the Dan Moto but with a cone end instead of the open end

My muffler is from DanMoto, GP

So I have the DanMoto GP style muffler but have been having trouble finding a stainless exhaust. I considered fabbing one up until I found this puppy!!!

Its a proto type from Ripple Rock Racers www.ripplerockracers.com

Picture is of their header install on cb650 engine in the cb550 chassis. I talked with Kemp and they are just setting up now for production, told him I am good to order when ready.

Pipe is a Hindle design, 4 into 2 into 1

Attachments

• cb650 Hindle style stainless header.jpg
    cb650 Hindle style stainless header.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 585
  • cb650 hindle header.jpg
    cb650 hindle header.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,597
I'm confused. When you say it's a Hindle design, does that mean it's made under license from Lang Hindle or the company he sells his pipes through or is it just a knock off copy of a Hindle pipe?

Hindle don't appear to list pipes for old bikes anymore, so it would be really good if these guys have the rights to make them. Hindle made great pipes.

I would think its sanctioned by Hindle. I contacted Hindle Products Ltd in Ontario directly and they forwarded me to Ripple Rock Racers for the vintage stuff. Their site listed exhausts for the cb500/550 & cb750.

Of course I couldn't comment on wither or not they have the rights.

Kemp is in some form of agreement with Hindle - I don't know the details, but it's all legit.

All I know is there is not a lot of exhaust / header options out there for our vintage bikes and I'm really looking forward to getting this header and installing it. Kemp is really great to deal with.

Well its been a bit, life stuff I guess. I finally received my stainless header from Ripple Rock Racers. Just have part if it on for now to check fitment. I gotta say this thing is beautiful and I'm glad I held out for it. Have to buy crush washers before I can install. The mid-pipe has to be bent to accommodate my muffler location. The muffler was not part of this Hindle exhaust but it is stainless to match.

I am well into this bike now with parts so I decided I'm going to make up a new wire harness using the Moto Gadget M Unit stuff. Not much left to buy for this thing to make it a new bike lol

Still waiting for my rear wheel to be laced up. He was having problems with getting the pattern right. Hopefully this week.

Attachments

• stainless header 4.JPG
    stainless header 4.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 1,140
  • stainless header 3.JPG
    stainless header 3.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 1,128
  • stainless header 2.JPG
    stainless header 2.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 1,131
  • stainless header.JPG
    stainless header.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 1,186
Got some rear sets in off ebay. The brackets I got from Cognito Moto. Brackets are for a cb750 so for my 650 I had to slightly notch out the right side to accommodate the bolts for the sub frame. These brackets are pretty beefy so this shouldn't effect anything.

Attachments

• cb650 rear sets 3.JPG
    cb650 rear sets 3.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,640
  • cb650 rear sets 1.JPG
    cb650 rear sets 1.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 2,254
  • cb650 rear sets 2.JPG
    cb650 rear sets 2.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 1,374
also picked up a set of Brooks leather wrapped grips out of the UK......but made in Italy. These things were a bit pricey but fuck it they are beautiful and match up with the seat perfect !!!

The install is a bit tricky on the throttle side. These grips are made for bicycles and fit 7/8" bars so I am going to have to get creative for the right side when I install it on the new polished aluminum throttle assembly I just got. It has a slightly bigger diameter as it slips over the 7/8" bar. More on this later.

Attachments

• cb650 Brooks leather grips 1.JPG
    cb650 Brooks leather grips 1.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,266
  • cb650 Brooks leather grips 2.JPG
    cb650 Brooks leather grips 2.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 1,391
  • cb650 Brooks leather grips 3.JPG
    cb650 Brooks leather grips 3.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 1,429
jpmobius said:
You'd better consider a green zip tie for that: safety first!

hahaha....I like the black..........good eye!!

Just mocking up the bike for now. Have to fab up a bracket for the right rear set linkage side to get it out of the way of the exhaust pipe.

How do you like my bungee cord muffler mount?? LoL

Back
Top Bottom