Xs750 896cc engine rebuild and chop!

In my Face!
Alternator wires burnt and shorted on the exhaust..
That battery was none too happy, smelled like eggfarts and smoking like a steaming pile of shit on a cold november morning.
Hopefully i didnt fry the m-unit

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1440372205313.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1440372205313.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 260
Currently waiting on a cheapo chinese replacement for the regulator.. then I'll see for sure. Seems like the current one is totally toasted and is sending AC to the battery!

Got a list of stuff i need to do before any more riding anyhow, like tilting the battery box a bit. Rear tire hits it going over bigger bumps now.
Also need to do the first valve clearance check an retorque the head.
All these running-in things you know..

Got some stuff done today:

This bugger was hitting the rear tire hard, giving me a good hard kidneypunch in every pothole..

So I'll replace it with a bit of pipe moved forward, reinforce the frame a bit and add mounting tabs for a fender, which I'll probably make from stainless, and side cover mounts. Gonna be good!

Got that welding bit finished this weekend, with a bit of luck i'll have the new reg/rec instslled by next weekend, then check the valves, and go on shaking the thing down!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1441597226415.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1441597226415.jpg
    851.4 KB · Views: 223
Shakedown in progress..
The chinese (go figure) rec/reg unit showed up with only the rectifier part working, so i smacked on an old oem regulator and went for a long ride, everything worked sweet and the engine is loosening up a nicely so i pulled it higher through the revs today, and its got that screaming turbine humm niceness going, love it..
All until i ran into some rain, and it shorted out the motogadget unit, quite a show when its putting current through every output :D
Wasnt all that fun freezing in the rain though, cursing and fighting to light a cigarette with matches (gf stole my lighter..)
Pulled the ground and waited for the rain to blow over, dried the box with my buff then ran it home cold as fuck.
Need to rainproof that box, thinking about making some transparent plastic cover..

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1442254567845.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1442254567845.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 243
Haha yea, kind of how i wanted it! Time to start refining it, riding season is almost over here.

Skickat från min SM-G800F via Tapatalk

Haha I'm looking for something smaller now. Like a <250cc 2-stroke for a 500 mile - $500 challenge I'm doing with a big group of local riders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The list of things i want to do to this thing for next year is quite long.. first up is making it weatherproof and reliable, 2 breakdowns in the shakedown is more than enough.
Almost feel like a fork extension is out of the question for this garage season, gotta have the time to service all the other gas eaters as well, and start looking at the bsa i got lying around in parts..
And hopefully go somewhere less arctic during the worst month.

Skickat från min SM-G800F via Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom