Testers Needed - LED Headlight Bulb

I installed the 6v light in the XL, which actually has a Yamaha YT headlight installed. First off, it's bright... really bright. The 6v H4 bulb I had in there wasn't nearly as bright. I assume the reflector wasn't right for the H4 either, but the bulbs sided-by-side are clearly a different brightness. I flogged the hell out of the bike today in the dirt- jumping it and flying over moguls and washboard at full throttle. Git u some of these.

Just daylight. I can get you night pics tonight...

Low beam
fb37b66b588aaa0e617af4116c82b78c.jpg

High beam
a921cb17c0323acd1a87c5717022bfe6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6v night test-

For perspective:

I have an acre. The pear tree in the middle of the image is halfway to the back fence.

Low beam

5UsO_sQMDAIrK9tA.jpg

High beam

b9iok4z4v7xA8r05.jpg

Looks great! When do you plan to have these for sale? I have been looking to replace my hid with a less cumbersome led and I'm not sure I like what is available on the market currently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've placed the order with my manufacturer so I will hopefully have them in the next couple of weeks.

Looks a bit lower profile than the ones advmonster is selling. Is that a fan or just a heat sink?

END OF LINE

It's a fan. The cooling is active which is why we're able to get a lower profile bulb. You can only just make out the sound of the fan when the bike is on, but not running, and definitely can't hear it all with the engine running.

Sonreir said:
It's a fan. The cooling is active which is why we're able to get a lower profile bulb. You can only just make out the sound of the fan when the bike is on, but not running, and definitely can't hear it all with the engine running.

Won't prevent me from buying these for sure... "but" the heat issue has been a major part of the commercial LED debacle, the diodes can last for 50K hours "but" the drivers have proven to fail faster than a fluorescent ballast due to heat dissipation in dead space. The T8 tubes that were so popular are failing at an amazing 60+% and counting in under 1yr. I personally sent last week 65 MR16 lamps to TCP that failed all in one month at only 12-1600 hrs... Cooling fans!! whoda thunk?

Whats the consumption/life expectancy of the fan... PC type stuff?

Tune-A-Fish said:
Whats the consumption/life expectancy of the fan... PC type stuff?

Yeah, unfortunately. About 10,000 hours (or a little over a year of continuous use). Still... it should still last long enough to make $45 worth it.

Sonreir said:
Yeah, unfortunately. About 10,000 hours (or a little over a year of continuous use). Still... it should still last long enough to make $45 worth it.

I agree, Just waiting for the order to arrive at this point... if you are set on a price, you could do pre-order invoicing. I'm in for 3ea.

I'm still waiting on final marginal cost from the manufacturer, but I'm about 90% sure on that price point. And as always, no shipping costs for USA customers.

Yes, seems like the fan will be the life limiting factor. I wonder how moisture intrusion will affect the life.

What happens when the fan goes bad? The chip overheats and it just stops working?

Still worth it to me for the lower power draw. The 35w bulb I use now isn't very bright.

END OF LINE

Although, I had a computer fan that lasted 14 years operating inside a refrigerator. But it also wasn't exposed to the vibration environment of a bike.

END OF LINE

The fan (and associated electronics) is meant to be moisture resistant. It can definitely deal with condensation and the like, but full on water will be a no-no. Keep your headlight bucket from filling up and you should be OK.

I haven't yet tested a unit with a bad fan, so I'm not entirely sure. That might be an interesting idea. Disable the fan, turn on the high beam, then wait and see what happens...

Well, I know so far it's enduring off road riding very well. It's been exposed to rain, dirt, mud and dust.

Looks the goods mate. I was planning on running my TS as a 12v system so I could use L.E.D lights. Looks like I have another option now.

Back
Top Bottom