1971 CL 350 Clean up

Sorry, I'm not sure why you can't see the photos :(
I came in early to work on the bike and tried putting the oil filter in again. This time everything just slipped into place, so I think I was doing something wrong before. Luckily, I took everything apart before I left it for the weekend, so the oring is fine. Drained the awfully dark and smelly oil, and added some new. (I'll run that very shortly and replace again because I smelled gasoline mixed with the oil) All systems go it appears. I'll get some fresh fuel today and try to fire this thing up. :D

interceptor said:
Sorry, I'm not sure why you can't see the photos :(
I came in early to work on the bike and tried putting the oil filter in again. This time everything just slipped into place, so I think I was doing something wrong before. Luckily, I took everything apart before I left it for the weekend, so the oring is fine. Drained the awfully dark and smelly oil, and added some new. (I'll run that very shortly and replace again because I smelled gasoline mixed with the oil) All systems go it appears. I'll get some fresh fuel today and try to fire this thing up. :D

that is awesome !!
you can even prelube the engine before startup, plugs out and grounded or ignition off,and crank it a bit with the electric starter.there is a m6 bolt just behind the points cover in the rocker box, this is the witness to confirm oil is getting up to the top end
;)

The only bolt I saw sat just above/right of the points cover. But I didn't have to take the cover off. When I took it out, I was looking at one of the long bolts that holds the head/cylinder/cover on. But after looking at the spare engine, I don't know if thats the right bolt. I took every bolt out of the ignition block (on the spare) to see if there was something that went through to the galley, and I didn't see anything. If I took out the right bolt, then no, I did not see any oil when I cranked the engine. ??

thats the one, looking in to the stud
takes a while for the oil to show,this is why its not a good idea to panic rev a new rebuilt or cold motor

you can even use an oil pump can to get some oil up there but on my sl which doesnt have electric start i never could get it to show oil pumping up there till i started it

Success!!! I verified the top end was receiving oil by removing that 6mm bolt while running. I let it warm up for a couple of minutes, and then adjusted carbs. I unplugged the left side first, and set the RPM for the right carb at 1100 RPM, then did the same for the left. When I was done with both, it purred like a kitten at 1100 RPM. I had to tweak just a little on the right side so the RPM's came down smooth after blipping the throttle. It really does sound amazing :D It does have a very small leak out of the right carb overflow tube, but only like 3 drips for the couple minutes I had it started. I'm hoping that it will work it's way out after a proper break in. Tomorrow I'll verify that the timing is spot on. For now, I'm just super excited that it is running.
I did order the rest of the parts needed to finish this bike. Should be here on Friday.

Well, she started right up this morning and the timing is spot on. Neutral light is not working, so I don't know if I missed that when I hooked up the wiring, or the bulb is burnt out. Also, took the time to really check the charging voltage. Seems like everything is working like it should.
Things that still need to get done:

* neutral bulb
* add items that I ordered (2 bolts, brake shoes, battery strap, gas cap gasket)
* paint tank

I'm pleased with how the bike came out, and look forward to showing it to some friends with hopes that someone will actually want to buy it before I put it up for sale to the public.
Anybody looking for a CL350? ;D

I applied filler earlier this week, primed again and sprayed two layers of paint. I did not sand in between or anything like that. And then today I finally got my tank decals, so I applied the clearcoat so it can dry and harden over the weekend, then I'll apply the decals and ad another layer of clearcoat after. Here's some before and after pics:

CAM00790_zpsnp1c21yi.jpg

Paint with clearcoat

CAM00797_zpst1lqftip.jpg

Tank decals are for a 1970 CL 350

CAM00801_zpspupr4tgc.jpg

Some comparison shots of chrome being cleaned up

CAM00785_zpscuretjam.jpg

CAM00783_zpsgbr0ardm.jpg

And I told you I was using a clearcoat that I'd never seen used before, and I have tested it now on two pieces, let them dry and waxed to a high shine. It looks great, and is applied with a spong brush. All bubbles, strokes, streaks dissapear after 15 minutes or so after being applied, and I have tested its toughness against liberal doses of brake clean, gasoline and diesel. Nothing could break it down. So for basically 25 cents, I clearcoated the side covers and the tank.

CAM00799_zpsculolnlw.jpg

Unfortunately i couldnt find my timing light, so I just used a light. Everything was spot on, and I checked the advance earlier and it looked good. Hopefully, it will be ok? If I do find it, where would you set the advance at?

you aren't done setting timing untill you check/set full advance,what you jhave done is just get it running
full gets set as per the FSM between the marks at 3500+ rpms'
if for some reason it is over advancing is the danger

Came in early to ad the decals to the tank. What do you guys think? I think it's pretty darn cool.

CAM00807_zpsjbtwsos4.jpg

CAM00806_zpssk6httoo.jpg

When I started it up, only the right side is firing. It'll fire on the left side when I give it throttle, but not at idle, so off comes the carb again for another cleaning.
It's ok, because I think I set the floats at the wrong level. I believe they should be around 19-20mm.

xb33bsa said:
the bike looks fantastic 8) yeah low bat = a dropped coil/cylinder
Thank you, I think it came out great. Now I can check the timing like we talked about earlier. I found the timing gun :D

awesome check left cylinder first iof needed set timing with backing plate,then check right cylinder adjust if needed by tweeking point gap as long as point gaps stay in the 012-016 range yer gold

Just a quick update. I found out that the left carb was faulty, so I had to get another one. After installing the new one, it started right up :D I set the carbs after it had warmed up a bit and took it out for a quick test ride. Man, this thing sounds great. (Timing is now done, too.) So, I am happy to say that this project is complete.

If you were following along and read my first post, I said my plan was to sell this bike, and that's what I'm going to do. I really hate to see it go, but I do have my CL360. Thanks for every ones input and help. I feel some body is going to be getting a great bike.

Back
Top Bottom