1979 CM400a Hondamatic Repairing and Updating Uncle Billy's Bike

Thomas_Hudson

Honda owner/Honda Rider
Starting a proper build thread, hopefully in the right section this time. I'll fix the other thread later.

This is a 1979 Honda CM400a Hondamatic motorcycle that I first got from my Uncle Billy when I was a kid. After being in the care of my Brother in law for years, parked in the garage since 1995, I was reunited with it recently after my Uncle's passing. He was a awesome guy and a real inspiration in my life. So I want to bring the bike back to life as a clean example of what it was to begin with.

I am not a pro bike builder and I'm sure I will make a mistake or two along the way, feel free to comment and correct something I may have screwed up before I get too far along. This is the first time I have tried to do this type of rebuild. I downloaded the FSM and will be following along with it for the services needed.

This isn't a restoration in the purest sense but it's no chop/bob either. Again I just plan to clean and repaint the bike, replace the damaged bits, add some chrome, and have a fun bike that I can share with my son, as he will be charged with it's care after me. This is a family heirloom at this point belonging to 3 separate generations of my family. Kind of cool and I hope that it stays in the family from here on.

The paint will be Honda Candy Gold, not a color available on that bike, but a very nice choice for this little project.
Thinking black panels outlined with white pinstripes, and similar on the side covers. I wanted to keep chrome fenders, but now it looks like it might have painted fenders, as finding good straight chrome fenders hasn't panned out. I can straighten out the originals but they may never be good enough for chrome again. Paint scheme similar to this bike.

I have taken a ton of pictures to help me remember where everything goes back, sorry if that gets a bit boring, bunch of angles of some of the components just for reference later.

How the bike was sitting when I went to pick it up. Hadn't seen this bike in about ten years now.

It had been parked here since at least 1995.

Flat tires, bent fenders, dead battery, missing keys, whatever. I'm so excited.

Sitting in my garage after I got it home.

Started taking the bike apart to see what was still damaged. The front wheel is sitting crooked and the forks appear to be bent, maybe the lower triple tree as well.

This kind of sucks...... this lower tray for the indicator tree is busted, and so is the ignition switch. I had a spare and dang if I didn't break that one trying to remove a busted ignition switch from it. So now I have to find a third one.

Rear suspension needs attention and the rear tire is garbage.

The rear wheel is scratched up a bit, not sure how that happened, maybe when I used to trail ride this bike back in the 80's.

So the forks look bent and out of whack.

So here they are off the bike

Something's not right

Not sure what to think here. They don't look that bad off of the bike. Maybe they were just bound up?

With different lower tree. Looks better

Appears to have bent the stops on the frame.

I think I'm gonna have to get some help/advise on the frontend. Forks need servicing at the least and the caliper will need attention too.

So this valve cover might not have been removed since Regan was in office. Not sure what to expect, but It needs to be opened up so we can start some real work on the bike and get the services caught up. Set valve clearances and check out chain, tensioner, and guide.

Wow!! That's pretty clean.

What the Heck???

Is that Buckshot? What the heck did you get into Billy? LOL Must have made it out ok.

Looking like a fun project. It's pretty cool you know the history behind the bike, and probably rode it, too. I'll be following along.

Nice with a family heirloom like that! Also curious about this engine, dont think we ever got any automatic transmission bikes to sweden..!
Seems to be a lot of them "over there"?
Cool stuff and i wish you luck and lots of patience with the restoration!

Back
Top Bottom