ZRX fever - it's highly contagious

grandpaul

Author, "Old Bikes"
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
I bought a 1980 KZ1000 back in 1986 with 32 miles on the clock, and it became the highest mileage bike I've ever owned (I've owned 150 bikes in 45 years). But, once my collection got so numerous that I had other choices that pushed certain buttons, the trusty old KZ became the RUSTY old KZ.

One fine hot Laredo afternoon (2001), I was at Joe Gregory's salvage yard looking for something or another, and as I wandered through the back of the shop to head upstairs to the parts bins, something flashy green caught my eye. Leaning against a pipe column was sadly front-ended 1999 ZRX1100, the modern incarnation of the classic KZ (I had been wanting one since I first spotted the intro adverts). It had bent forks, a dented gas tank, trashed front fender, fairing & instruments, and a broken footpeg.

I did an immediate about-face and found Joe in his office; I had a number in my head, and as soon as he told me how much he wanted for it, I told him I'd be back with the cash. We made the deal and I brought it home. Joe found me a tank and fender at a shop in San Antonio, which I picked up, along with a nice Muzzy CF muffler. Once I got the new fork tubes installed and got it all back together, it fired right up, but seemed to have a stumble that wouldn't go away. Turned out one carb had it's low speed jet plugged with a tiny bit of grit.

With that fixed, I took it out for it's maiden voyage and realized I was at extreme risk of losing my license at a moment's notice.

410879231.jpg

Talk about doing the ton, it was WAY too easy, in 3rd gear no less. Also, it had been a good while since I owned a bike that would wheelie that effortlessly, and that was a dirt bike when I was a teenager. I have to tell you, I racked up as many miles in 3 years on the ZRX as I had on the KZ in the previous 10 or so.

A few years later, I passed the bike on to my oldest son; he rode it for several years, a couple of his friends took turns dumping it, then he traded it in for a newer Yamaha FZR600.

When I went looking online for parts for the '99 ZRX, I stumbled across www.zrxoa.org and became a member. They are a great bunch of guys with some mighty nice ZRXs, as well as a bunch of Zs & KZs, restored and customs.

Years came and went, I was riding my 2000 Triumph Legend 900 triple for the most part, but missing the 'Rex.

In 2008, I happened to be back at Joe Gregory's looking for more parts, when lo and behold, in the EXACT SAME SPOT where I found my old 'Rex was a 2003 ZRX1200R, with almost identical crash damage! It was a sign from God. I bought it on the spot (probably paid too much, but that's another matter).

343819339.jpg

The ZRX forum was just the ticket. The guys all remembered me and fixed me right up with everything I needed (and a lot more). This one needed a front wheel, which meant buying a complete front end. It also needed a frame, which meant buying a frame with rear end package deal. In order to get a good gas tank AND good petcock, and gas cap, I ended up with THREE gas tanks. In order to get a good fairing and mounting frame, I had to buy three fairings, a spare frame, and three windscreens. Some of you probably know where I'm going with this... Yep, I ended up buying another engine and built TWO 1200s.

The 1200R came out REAL nice

359501940.jpg

The bike has done 145 indicated, with a good bit left over. I believe it can do 150 with the pipes, jetting and gearing it has. Other than my '83 Interceptor, it's as close to a tupperware sportbike as I'll ever own. If I hammer it in 2nd, I start to lose peripheral vision and must ease off, or possibly risk unconcsiousness.

This is what the pile of parts looked like when I started on the 3rd 'Rex, a "mostly" 2000 ZRX1100...

348536712.jpg

It was a bit more dragged-out, as I had to buy a lot of little parts onsie-twosie to finally get it all together.

359613558.jpg

I sold this one to SORT OF make up for the net loss I took on the 1200R.

I also sold off most of this pile of leftovers, as well as other stuff that sold before I snapped this pic...

372647789.jpg

"Trifecta!"

354489227.jpg

This was just before my older son, Jason, traded in the original 1100 (foreground) that started all this nonsense.

Left to Right: my oldest son Jason & his ZX7, me, my younger son Kevin and my old ZRX1100

410915623.jpg

Me on the "spare" 1100 that I sold a day or two after this photo, leading my younger son, Kevin on my 1200R through our private driveway which has just enough curves to get you in the mood for some REAL carving-

345465656.jpg

grandpaul said:
When I went looking online for parts for the '99 ZRX, I stumbled across www.zrxoa.org and became a member. They are a great bunch of guys with some mighty nice ZRXs, as well as a bunch of Zs & KZs, restored and customs.

The bike has done 145 indicated, with a good bit left over. I believe it can do 150 with the pipes, jetting and gearing it has. Other than my '83 Interceptor, it's as close to a tupperware sportbike as I'll ever own. If I hammer it in 2nd, I start to lose peripheral vision and must ease off, or possibly risk unconcsiousness.

My "02 has done 167 indicated and still creeping up.
150 is just about effortless obtainable.

I would do bad, bad things for a ZRX. Something about them always struck a chord with me. Nice story Paul.

For those who are interested in these project bikes of mine, just know that it will take quite some time for me to post the actual step-by-step build threads. IF you stay tuned you will eventually see:

12 Custom builds (most from scratch)
19 Total restorations (most rusty, crusty, barely-rolling or total basket cases)
3 ZRX salvage builds (one from parts)
...plus several other major overhauls, refurbs and make-runs.

That doesn't include the BSA & Norton I've already started here.

Back
Top Bottom