1977 CB750 Deviant Hell Ride

trek97 said:
As far as hardened rear sprockets go...

this may be totally F-ed up information. But havent I read once that some have aluminum or even PLASTIC rear sprockets. Maybe Im just trying to take you out ;) ...but I think Ive read that. On the "internet".
In order to weld hardened steel, you have to temper it. Which then would require you to re-harden it.

the rear steel oem sprockets are not hardened ,yes weld 2 together but do it with minimum overlap 1/8'' per side is plenty then put some nice even skip welds in the inside and outside natural fillets that are present.you could even do it with a hf wire pusher but after initial tackup preheat the fuck out of it for good welds

lokking at your rear sprocket just now that spoked style is a natural for a non machined method of overlap offset.this will have more overlap than what you can do by machining shit. 3/8'' overlap would doit.could be done with a cutting torch or even a hacksaw,4'' grider with slitting discs just ,voila, the trick part is getting and maintaing concentricity,this can be dun before cutting by bolt the 2 sprocket together(you could use the sprocket bolt holes but need to verify stacked concentricity) use a drill press drilling and then reaming to size would be best bet,you really want dam near dowel pin precision in the fit ,but you can play with your bit selection on a srap and try to find drill that steps up from generous pilot hole size to a good fit, one small thru bolt in each spoke as alignment bolts,3/16 bolts would be fine they can be center puch located by eye they need not be precisely clocked or precisily concentric jut remenmber they will only fit back together properly clocled to each other
where you drill these alignment holes will be in the center of overlap zone
so that bolting the spockets together again for welding is an accurate deel no question
when you cut the sprockets just do the cut one side or the other of the alignment hoales

Looks like cogmoto has a spacer too"
61dfa8e2266cd619d0775b2dd6646f52.jpg

All Cognito's stuff is basically to run wider tires. I'm trying to mate parts from 5 different manufacturers onto one Frankenstein bike.

deviant said:
Ha. It's too bad my rear end is from a 1982 GPZ750. ;)

Ahhh shit yeah that's right, well back to XB's point then, if the hub is concentric to the sprocket and you have some extra poking out of the sprocket, you could put the donor on with some holes and plug weld/tack it then heat it up and weld it with more plug welds then just chuck it up and face cut off what you don't need. yeah no??

Well, this was supposed to be the summer to ride it but I just keep nitpicking away. I was hired to restore the exterior of a 1921 Chicago-style bungalow which has consumed the majority of my summer off. Gotta pay for these habits.

Today was the first rain day in over a month, so I took the day off and made some progress. I've been meaning to adapt the rear hoop to my current design. The bike was set up for a different seat before I got it. I notched the tubing and pushed it up to allow the fender to push through the frame and hang from the hoop. I modded a fender bracket from an XL to hook it up. I also altered the battery holder to lift it about an inch giving clearance for the Yammi fender.

772630af495c6794f5100c95faaf50aa.jpg

d9f8e506bdcfd66d656b6e0ed9c4d584.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleaned and rebuilt the carbs. Nothin' fancy, no polish... Just clean and hopefully functional.

7a8b93be01b2f7201fdb5dfdfc8957b4.jpg

GPZ 750 front fender

cc4e39d0f254a3713e92d365a425c486.jpg

08c68351cfc54c48ac61ada6015925b6.jpg

It was just wide enough for the KZ750 front end to be annoying, so I drilled out the rivets to separate the plastic fender from the fork brace. Put the brace in a vice to squeeze out a few mm's, flattened the top of it to keep the rivet holes aligned, re-rivet and install.

7d7ffb691ee1194c0f292062624203b4.jpg

Hand controls

9ce844c96337648b1cd6dd97537ce2ce.jpg

Nightly visitors

162b124aef4a9d3ca24789fc871b9668.jpg

Polished up the front fender. Turns out, it has a great yellow metallic paint job. If I can remove what looks like primer, I may keep it.

goddam spiders i been moving 2 shops into one and the goddam spiders are ever where :( throwin' down bundles of thousands of babies at a time :-[ :-X :'(
the bike is looking nicely be sure you got near full lever travel near that throttil housing
i got one those fenders in red somwhere round here, it is a pleasent design

I like the yellow, looks hot rod... whats up with the spiders this year, I got em X10 in the house and shop :eek:

Yeah man, fender looks right. For spiders, I keep a long handled bbq lighter around for those little bastards.

I like spiders.........they keep squeeters in check.

Dayyyum Eric, where you keep finding all these parts around here in Augusta?

Fender looks cool. May have to give one a try on my 750.

JustinLonghorn said:
Did you use the rivet gun that was in the Apache parts bin?
Why yes, yes I did use the rivet gun that came with the Apache.

budlite282 said:
I like spiders.........they keep squeeters in check.

Dayyyum Eric, where you keep finding all these parts around here in Augusta?

Fender looks cool. May have to give one a try on my 750.
Motorcycle Recycling in Jackson, SC, just across the river. Call Roger. Everything else is eBay.

Back
Top Bottom