1977 CB750 Deviant Hell Ride

Phew, it was a bit of work to just read the build. Could have made it a bit harder on yourself couldn't ya? Jeez.

Excellent solutions to your hybrid issues. Great head down attitude! The bike is shaping up to show these qualities. It's gonna be a keeper.

If I have one general suggestion on the build it is to stop placing deadlines onn it. I understand it can create motivation, but it can also be daunting. Builds like this take the proverbial "as long as it takes", and there's nothing you can do to change it. The shakedown runs may prove to show some areas that need addressed, and patience will continue to be a virtue.

In your pic of the sprocket bolt clearance, your axle is not tight yet and you will lose at least another 1mm of room when it is. XB has an excellent suggestion with gaining clearance through lock tab removal. Torque and threadlock is more than sufficient in a non race application.

Did you partially fill your filter with oil before you installed it?

Up to date and on board, looking amazing so far.

P.S. the gs500 front brake is going onn my hybrid as well. Great choice, easily adaptable twin pot caliper.

DohcBikes said:
Did you partially fill your filter with oil before you installed it?
Yep. I learned that a long time ago with my cars.

I appreciate the words and advice. It means a lot. As far as deadlines, I'm an artist and a teacher, so hard deadlines are my MO. However, I came to the realization this weekend that this bike will be finished when it wants to be. Sound advise and you're absolutely right. I've practically collected an 8' x 10' of parts from this build alone, as the third part I buy ends up being the one that works. I'm not in it for the money, so there is no need to stress the deadlines or shipping times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tune-A-Fish said:
If you get back 1/2 to 2/3rds of cost it's still cheaper than a therapist ???

And the money it's gonna cost to rename GRU, again......thank goodness, it's been voted upon.

budlite282 said:
And the money it's gonna cost to rename GRU, again......thank goodness, it's been voted upon.
And all those people that were pissed and wanted it to say Augusta State are not happy it'll be called Augusta University. People are dumb. Ash works at GRU. She just laughs because all of their billing is still MCG, but their pay checks and bennies are GR Health. Some stuff is printed as MCG DBA (doing business as) GR Health. I guess now it'll have to be Augusta University Formally MCG DBA GR Health.

deviant said:
And all those people that were pissed and wanted it to say Augusta State are not happy it'll be called Augusta University. People are dumb. Ash works at GRU. She just laughs because all of their billing is still MCG, but their pay checks and bennies are GR Health. Some stuff is printed as MCG DBA (doing business as) GR Health. I guess now it'll have to be Augusta University Formally MCG DBA GR Health.

Agreed.

Good thing I'm retarded.....uhhhh....retired United States Army, and don't really have to rely on that place.

Eisenhower Army Medical Center works just fine for me.

Although, it's a great medical center, don't get me wrong. Occasionally EAMC sends me there for certain procedures.

Another small update:

Located the front turn signals:

5024ad2dc4bd348a2c158a8213ba5015.jpg

Made a template for the dash:

25e09bdcfd6f60c723fb2d1b2b4b6c7f.jpg

Got the primer or whatever off the front fender with some acetone. That made the decision to match this yellow.

cd481863acabf2a132991d895fa4e9d8.jpg

Mounted the tires and balanced the rims. Avon Roadrider up front/Metzeler Lasertrac in the rear. Stock GPZ750 sizes.

00906b2293aeef95a471cf8ee0d1c222.jpg

Now I need to locate these Accel Supercoils. They have some girth and don't fit so well in the CB500 tunnel.

c48c418b25dc1d5d762090b80d3c9595.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe someone has some insight on the design of this tailpiece, if it's been modded (it appears so). A repack is in the works:

faa54769c2a103f418e0b5db2a74b663.jpg

Love the yellow. Glad you are going with it. Nice dash piece and the metzeler should be a good tire.

Looks like I'll be able to fit the coils in the frame under the tank after all. I removed the brackets they were previously mounted with. I'll need to make a bracket that keeps them together and mounts top or bottom. No room on the outside of the coils.

Got it off the center stand to see where we are:

777226c886f573751fdd0ed85a3d2191.jpg

^^^^^^^dayyyyum^^^^^^^^^

Eric, that bike is looking better with every post.

Good job.

Thing is gonna be a fun ride man, but Slow down mang... I spent all day hiding wire yesterday, got the pipe on and found I welded the back section a bit inbound so the can wont work (yours if you want it) so just take some advice... check and recheck :eek: :eek:

Tune-A-Fish said:
Thing is gonna be a fun ride man, but Slow down mang... I spent all day hiding wire yesterday, got the pipe on and found I welded the back section a bit inbound so the can wont work (yours if you want it) so just take some advice... check and recheck :eek: :eek:
Which can? Yeah, I installed the stock Supersport 4-into-1. The bracket on the can lines up with where I installed the Ninja m/c. Gotta figure out where or if I've got the place for the hanger.

Those Uni's look solid. I went with the stock box for now. The caveat- I had and earlier model K box, so my carbs need the larger boots. Opened the holes up with a burr bit and installed new boots.

canyoncarver said:
Yep..well no, never mind. Looking good - is it done yet?
Ha. I haven't quite figured out how I want to do the seat, honestly. Mostly, I need to figure out how much up the tail section it should go, or if at all. I'm kind of avoiding it until last minute under the assumption I can go with the black high density stuff guys use on the race bikes until I figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom