SR250 build from South Africa

Spawnwheel

Hello,

My name is Daniel from Johannesburg, RSA. I've just begun stripping a SR250 that I'll be hopefully turning into a neat little tracker for my wife to use. She often sits on the back of my bike and has been talking about getting one of her own, so thought this would be a nice excuse for me to build up a bike.

At the moment the bike is stripped and I'm in the process of detabbing the frame. I've come across a few issues along the way. The left rear shock mount as sheared off the bike and is inside the shock. The previous owner must have used the bike like this for some time as it shows some wear where the shock vibrated against the frame. The original nuts were also missing and just had a long bolt running through it. I'm hoping that I can find someone nearby me who can weld a new one on.

Anyway here are some pix of the going so far. I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences with everyone and learning from all the pros on these forums.

Regards,

kkKTDLH.jpg

The bike how it began

zCxvY9f.jpg

tfAisSm.jpg

Stripping...

XJqGihX.jpg

The trouble shock, note the long bolt

JrDVGZ4.jpg

No those are not my feet...

B9ij4VM.jpg

The sheared off mount

Lx2pcZ6.jpg

The other side, how I assume it the other should look like

wEoxtQa.jpg

I'm still looking for a way to remove the steering bearings, is there a special tool for that top nut?

For the castle style nut i just use a flat head and a hammer there is probably a special spanner tool tho

DesmoBro said:
Put it all back that was the cleanest most complete SR250 ive ever seen

Haha! My wife would not be very happy with that. Took a lot of convincing to get her to agree on the SR, she says she doesn't want to look like she's making deliveries.

DesmoBro said:
For the castle style nut i just use a flat head and a hammer there is probably a special spanner tool tho

Thanks, I was thinking of doing that, but am worried that I'll damage it. Does it come off quite easily with just a small whack?

to protect from damaging that nut, i rolled up a good wad of a shop towel (or any paper towel or rag would work) and smushed it into the notch where i placed the flathead. this protected the nut from any sort of denting or scratching if you are paranoid about damaging anything such as I was. shouldnt need to hard of a wack either. just be patient.

ill be following this one! keep it up

ShaggyPit said:
to protect from damaging that nut, i rolled up a good wad of a shop towel (or any paper towel or rag would work) and smushed it into the notch where i placed the flathead. this protected the nut from any sort of denting or scratching if you are paranoid about damaging anything such as I was. shouldnt need to hard of a wack either. just be patient.

ill be following this one! keep it up

Thanks @ShaggyPit, I'm going to try this weekend to knock it out. Also going to be doing some more cutting and grinding to get rid of those tabs. I've been very cautious on which ones to cut as I still want some use for pannier mounts. I'll post some more pix next week.

Before you cut it all up, was there any dicussion about dropping the forks (internally) and just trying some different bars?

It's in remarkably good shape.

cosworth said:
Before you cut it all up, was there any dicussion about dropping the forks (internally) and just trying some different bars?

....i couldnt believe that first picture wasnt the stock photo....

Promising build bud!
Im also from Joburg! What bike are you on if your wife is going cafe?

I also have a build on here:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=63587.0

Definately must come to a CROSA meeting when youre done!

cosworth said:

Hey @Cosworth, the look that I'm going for is similar to the La Corona SR250, seen in the picture below. The stance has been changed. Not sure if they lowered the front end, raised the back or both to get the look.

49GzrRI.jpg

This is my first build, so trying to keep it as simple as possible, so trying to keep as msny of the original parts as possible. The front end I was hoping to use the original forks and upgrade the internals to make it a bit stiffer. Also dropping it a touch.

Kwashi said:
Promising build bud!
Im also from Joburg! What bike are you on if your wife is going cafe?

I also have a build on here:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=63587.0

Definately must come to a CROSA meeting when youre done!

Great to meet a fellow Joburger on the forums!

I ride an Enfield 500, the thinking of using a SR was that the two cruise at around the same speed, so should be a good match to the Enfield.

Where about's are you based? We're in Randpark. When are the CROSA meetings? We sometimes go through to the Piston Ring Club and bump into some of the guys there, but didn't know that they have other meetings too. It'll be great to pick their brains about the build.

That bike has been lowered about 40-50mm up front and just a hoop in the back. Nice bike. Rear shock length appears stock.

Im in Midrand, Have two another mate with a CB650...

Search for CROSA on FB and youll see they have meetings every weekend at a coffee place...

Life got in the way and I haven't really spent much time working on this project.

I've removed the engine from the bike and was halted by the flywheel, so waiting for the local bike shop to bring in the correct flywheel puller tool for this bike.

In the meantime, I'm hoping to clean and polish all the parts that I've removed. The crankcase side cover has quite a few scratches and marks that I would like to get rid of. What's the best way to go about this? With a drill and wire brush or with sanding?

d6GnemC.jpg

This is how the cover looks at the moment, there seems to be a clear coat over the metal in places.

So after a bit of googling, I decided to rough sand the case with 200 grit and move down the grits. I've spent about two hours on the case so far and managed to get most of the scratches out. I'm now on 600 grit. Hopefully by the weekend it'll look like a mirror finish

8PeoToD.jpg

This is what the cover looks like now, much better already!

I managed to get the cover all polished up. Looks really great now 8)

I managed to get the flywheel off thanks to the local bike shop. But have noticed that some wires lead to nowhere behind the stator coils. Are these supposed to be connected to each other? I have no experience with electrics, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

Here are the pix
k1mXmAbl.jpg

On the coils it looks like it's held in place with a rubber band that's a few years old and has been varnished over. Also, are these coils factory supplied? They don't look like the ones in the images I have in the service manual
oclKhBJl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom