Total loss ignition questions

1fasgsxr

Over 1,000 Posts
I am going with a total loss ignition system on my 350F . I really don't know where to start... I understand the basic concept. Will removing the piece from the crank affect the balance of my rotating assembly? Can I remove the entire harness and run just what I need for the coils and what a ever else I need ?

You can remove the rotor without harming the engine. You can eliminate 100% of the wiring except the ignition system: Battery, points, coils, condensers, spark plugs.

Are you sure you know what you are doing? I can not think of any situation in which this would be desirable except for drag racing, in which case you will have your work cut out for you. Total loss ignition will essentially make your bike usable for nothing else.

Didn't think of that! If there is an application where losing the parasitic energy consumption of the alternator in exchange for the weight of a battery (not much of a sacrifice these days), top speed certainly qualifies. What class do you intend and what is the current record? I am pretty clueless (as possibly others might be) about the rules.

Most rules and regs require a kill switch.

You'll want to run power from the positive terminal of the battery, to a toggle switch (turns bike on and off), then from the toggle switch to your kill switch. From there, you can go to the coils. No other wiring needed.

Also, a LI-ION or LiFePO4 battery would be a good addition to that setup.

Thanks Sonreir. Thats helpful info..

jpmobius The class will be modified production 350cc non push rod..I am still a little uncertain of the engine class...they have so many... probably modifies engine: gasoline ..my best guess the record is either 98.667 or 109.562, but the last one is for a partial streamlining...which is a fairing...not going to run one ...yet

I will try to... may start a thread for the rest of my build...started one and have stalled on it...hope to make one of the events this year for sure

Back
Top Bottom