www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Yam RD "Blue Dream"- Ride,Maintain,Tune  (Read 33536 times)

Offline jpmobius

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • where does this go?
Re: Yam RD "Blue Dream"- Ride,Maintain,Tune
« Reply #10 on: Jun 19, 2015, 21:16:03 »
And just FYI, I have found the R-5 emulsion tubes to work pretty well with some pipes/port/etc combinations, but can't recall which ones unfortunately. 

Regarding the oil pump drive for the 350cc cylinders, you do not have to change anything.  In the US, 1973-75 250cc RDs had a higher ratio primary gear set to work with the smaller output if the 250 compared to the 350.  You can certainly put 350 parts in your bike, but you will need the 350cc drive gear for the crankshaft and the matching clutch basket with the corresponding gear.  Then you will of course need the matching oil pump drive gear.  As far as I know, there is no difference between the 250 and 350 pumps; There is enough adjustment through shimming the pumps to accommodate the difference in engine displacement.  You will no doubt be pleased to learn that putting a 250 gear set in a 350 was a popular performance modification back in the day, though from a practical perspective you can achieve the same thing by changing sprockets in the final drive.
Mobius

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

1973 RD350 Yamaha build  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66498.0

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #11 on: Jun 20, 2015, 19:56:23 »
Thanks mobius for the info!

So to put it in a nutshell i will need:
350 cc clutch basket
350cc drive gear
350cc oil pump drive gear

Do you know if these parts are marked somehow so i can be sure when i buy these parts that these are from the right model...the 250cc version is 2R8 and i think that 350cc is 2R9....do the parts somehow have punch marks or something?

As for my first mod the Y Boot:
How would you go about rejetting?
I have now 115 stock main and 25 idle now.
I guess start rich with 125 then work my way down,how can i see that i need to go leaner,plug chops or how do i 'feel' running too rich?

Thanks for your input!

Offline davedogg

« Reply #12 on: Jun 22, 2015, 16:25:08 »
Here's some instructions on the carb mod. Should help answer your questions.

http://www.2strokeworld.com/manuals/Dave_F_W-Pictures.pdf

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #13 on: Jun 22, 2015, 16:51:42 »
The Dave F/Dale A mod has been around for years and no one has yet come up with an explanation of what it does or how it helps.  No data on A:F ratios stock versus with the mod.

What problem in the fuel slope is it trying to fix?

AFAIK, the 350 has faster spinning transmission to reduce loads on the transmission gears and it is way easier to just gear it differently at the rear wheel. For years people swapped 350 top ends onto 250s and had no issues with the trans or oil delivery.  I race a 250 TZ for years with a 350 or TZ750 top end and no changes to the bottom end at all.   Gearing was different than on a full 350 but that's not an issue to work out.

I never investigated it, but is the 350 set up to deliver more oil or just the same as a 250?  If it's the same, there's no need to change anything. 

Offline jpmobius

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • where does this go?
« Reply #14 on: Jun 22, 2015, 17:00:04 »
Like I said, I don't think you need to change anything.  I do not have the part numbers handy, but do not believe they are indicated on the individual parts.  The difference is in the number of gear teeth.  You can pull off your right side case and count the teeth on your primary and oil pump drive gears.  The crank gear will have more teeth, and the clutch basket and oil pump drive will have fewer teeth.  There are only two "sets", one for 350's and one for 250's, and you either can't assemble mismatched parts or they are obviously are not correct. 

You can estimate the oil ratio by observing how much oil you have to add to the tank compared to the fuel you use.  Add or remove shims to get the desired rate of oil consumption.  You should be starting out rich as hell with the new top end, so add shims to start with, and then just remove shims to close in on your desired ratio.  Not a huge difference between the 350 and 250 oil consumption anyway.
Mobius

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #15 on: Jun 22, 2015, 17:34:50 »
Thank you guys for the insight!

Interesting what teazer wrote about putting the 350 top end on the 250bottom.
What i read is that the clutch is the problem.slipping clutch.
Maybe the guy who made the website didnt really know what he was doing :-)

Mobius what is your estimation on this issue?should i buy the 350 specific parts or just run with the 250 bottom end?

The last few rides i found an annoying issue with my RD.
The right plug tends to foul.the carbs are now in perfect tune,she really purrs and the plugs look really good when ridden hard,but when i let her sit for 1-2 days the starting takes longer and she tends to smoke way more after starting then when she has been ridden.
Today the right exhaust smoked more then the left one.
After a few minutes of riding it the problem dissapears (one can even hear the fowl of plugs when the motor is cold).
Should i worry or is this just a classic RD phenomenon?

FYI the issue with the motor dying when i braked from higher rpms was just a carb tuning issue as mobius stated earlier and is sorted :-)
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2015, 17:37:15 by Ryan Stecken »

Offline jpmobius

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • where does this go?
« Reply #16 on: Jun 22, 2015, 18:00:26 »
The 250 and 350 clutches are the same on US '73-'75 models, just the basket is different, and that is just because the drive gear is different - the basket itself is the same.  That said, the torque offered to the 250 basket will be increased compared to the 350 because of the higher gear ratio, so potentially there could be an increased potential for slipping, though I have not had this experience myself, and I have run many 250 primary sets with 350 top ends.  That is not as valuable advice as it may sound as many of those engines were far from stock and required much stronger clutches.  I would keep all the 250 components like you have them and go to aftermarket drive plates and/or springs if you have a problem.  Trans oil can have a big impact.  I am using non-synthetic Shell Rotella diesel oil because it seems to make the transmission shift more smoothly, but the clutches seem to like it as well.

Mobius

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #17 on: Jun 23, 2015, 10:30:00 »
Nice mobius that will save me a lit of money,if i run into clutch slipping i can still change the parts anyways.
Do you have an idea what the fowling problem could cause i stated i my last comment?

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #18 on: Jul 06, 2015, 04:12:26 »
Hey guys!long time no hear had a blast the last days riding my RD last week i pulled of the heads to take a look at the cylinder walls and pistons.
All looked good besides the left cyl had a few scratches,it was kinda hard to get a good shot but it was not terrible grooved just slight scratches.should i be worried?
The pistons looked good,they had slight coal.

I gave the carbs a little clean out to,the little air drilling of the right carb was blocked.

Offline Tune-A-Fishİ

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
« Reply #19 on: Jul 06, 2015, 08:15:17 »
Looks like some dirt got on the rings, the scrubbing above the smoke ring right where the scratches are shows something was/is riding the ring? suggest pulling that jug being that your that far in... just to inspect the rings.

Also, what are you running for burn oil... seems a little wet, is it drooling oil?
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2015, 08:29:57 by Tune-A-Fish »
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church