www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Yam RD "Blue Dream"- Ride,Maintain,Tune  (Read 35845 times)

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Yam RD "Blue Dream"- Ride,Maintain,Tune
« Reply #40 on: Jul 20, 2015, 16:22:18 »
What you guys think of gas stabilizers?
I used this stuff a few times...mixes 1:1000 and says that it slightly rises the octane (i run 95) cleans carbs and keeps rust out of tank.
Go or no go?
The aim for me is mainly keeping the tiny air bores in my carb clean.i already once had a blocked one.
Tank is clean and lined.
Sorry the bottle is german :-)

Offline Tune-A-Fish©

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
« Reply #41 on: Jul 20, 2015, 16:25:16 »
9 sprechen sie deutsch :o
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church

Offline jpmobius

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • where does this go?
« Reply #42 on: Jul 20, 2015, 18:26:21 »
I only use fuel stabilizers when I know I am going put something in storage for a while, or at least not use it for a long time.  (I usually forget though and pay the consequences!)  They definitely work, but I have never used them for daily use.  I don't use fuel filters on the bikes either and can truthfully say I have never had a problem. That may seem pretty careless, but conversely I tend to ADD fuel filtering on fuel injected engines as injectors are a terrible pain to clean and suffer massively with the most microscopic bit of foreign matter.  I do keep my air cleaners in good condition and not leaking.  Most of the time I run the fuel out of my carbs on the bikes which I am sure greatly helps forestall potential problems.
Mobius

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

1973 RD350 Yamaha build  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66498.0

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #43 on: Jul 20, 2015, 18:37:56 »
My father runs this stuff since years on his flh 1200 harley and NEVER had to clean his carbs since then....maybe his carbs are not so easily blocked.
Interestingly i have the feeling that when i run the motor with this stuff,which smells terrible it loses a bit of perfomance....

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #44 on: Jul 24, 2015, 09:42:27 »
iŽm about to tackle the gas leaking issue.

Question A:as i already said the bike slighlty leaks fuel (little droplets).as you guys said, it is possible that the petcock leaks,but is it also possible that a slight wear of the brass tang where the needle touches could cause the needle not to close entirely (mobius posted this already earlier in one my threads)?
i think i will give it a go and slighlty sand the tang with 400 then 600 grit smooth if theres wear.

Question B:how do i go about preparing K+N filters for use,do i need to oil them?i read somewhere then i can also fog some diesel on them to prepare them...

thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2015, 09:44:28 by Ryan Stecken »

Offline Tune-A-Fish©

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #45 on: Jul 24, 2015, 09:57:46 »
K$N has a filter cleaning kit and it includes oil. I would wash it by soaking it in soapy water never allowing the inside (clean side) to enter the water and then rinse from the back side (clean side) only, allow to dry and fog with spray filter oil very lightly

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #46 on: Jul 24, 2015, 10:29:03 »
thanks tune!

but how do you treat a frehsly bought K+N,do you oil it before use?i mean that oil is effin expensive!

Offline davedogg

« Reply #47 on: Jul 24, 2015, 10:54:30 »
I wanna say the K&N filter is already oiled or doesn't have to be out of the box.  The Uni foam filters need to be oiled.

Offline Tune-A-Fish©

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #48 on: Jul 24, 2015, 11:36:34 »
thanks tune!

but how do you treat a frehsly bought K+N,do you oil it before use?i mean that oil is effin expensive!

Already treated with K$N filter oil Ryan. You can put a chunk of paper towel pushed lightly against the filter material and let it sit for a hour to be sure... the oil should show up on the paper slightly (look close) as a yellowish oil color stain.

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #49 on: Jul 26, 2015, 18:27:18 »
Thanks tune a!

Good news guys,my birthday presents this august will be very RD centered :-) dg pipes, carb parts,y boot.

The dg's are the reasonable priced pipes i could get for now.lets see what they can do.
Cant wait to hear these pipes,i have to be really careful the police in austria is really a**** about loud pipes.
Do you guys have experience with the dg pipes?how loud are they and will they bring me some horsepower(of course together with some carb work)?

Gonna post pics of my RD 350 parts too,i think the PO did some head work,sqish band and the burning room loom modified.
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2015, 18:29:18 by Ryan Stecken »