ZRX1100 - Let's upgrade some stuff.

Pick your poisons and go for it Justin.

I'm happy this came in today:

Attachments

• camtensioner.jpg
    camtensioner.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 414

Saturday hooning I started to get some highway speed fueling issues. It would act like it was about out of gas and I had to pull over twice. It started right up afterwards and didn't happen again after that. Sooo.....

Sunday was productive. I pulled the carbs and dropped the needles a notch and left out the shim, so clip and a half adjustment lower. I'm hoping this helps with my fuel guzzling. Because of the fueling issues on Saturday so I removed the secondary fuel filter since the Pingel has a nice screen built in. I also cleaned up the fuel hose routing to the carbs in case that was an issue.

The manual cam chain tensioner was a good idea. I had reset the stock one before but it was still noisy and I didn't fully trust it. Install was easy except the part where I agonized over the correct tension for awhile. Six or eight times before I believed it was good and closed it up.

I also noticed my parts bike had some neat mirror extenders. So nice now that I can see past my shoulders!!!

Afterwards, it was raining and dark so no test ride yet but it started right up and sounded good. The cam chain is much quieter.

Attachments

• cct_stockvsape.jpg
    cct_stockvsape.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 413
  • cct_adjusting.jpg
    cct_adjusting.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 412
  • cct_mirex.jpg
    cct_mirex.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 388
Fun update. Last week (Aug 5-9) my wife and I took a road trip to Colorado like we try to do in August. She rides her 14' FZ6R and although I've got another road bike, I always take the rex. The four corners, Durango and even up to Aspen and Telluride. Cool places and fun roads. Favorite ride/site was Independence Pass at 12,095 feet up. It's a beautiful, cold, technical, and sometimes death-defying ride through that pass and it's worth it. There was a bit of light rain riding and in some spots I think we killed our weight in gnats.... Other than that, the ZRX ran really well. Fuel mileage is basically back to what it was before the mods if I ride uh. smoothly.. I think the carb settings are keeper for now.

The ride did uncover the next upgrade I'm looking into. Racetech makes sweet fork internal upgrades. Probably ordering up a stock clutch rebuild too.

Attachments

• cc_zrx_aspen.jpg
    cc_zrx_aspen.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 389
New Barnett clutch plates came in today. Already had the cover gasket. I also got kwicks air plugs to finish sealing up the valve cover breather bit. I do think I've been losing more oil after the mods. I hope the plugs help. I'll post pics when I do that job too. Might be this weekend.

Attachments

• clutch_andstuff.jpg
    clutch_andstuff.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 392
Welllll, didn't get to it yet. Other stuff and whatever.

Quick story though I forgot to post about on our Colorado trip. Short history. Back in the 80's my family owned Rider Suzuki/Kawasaki in Belen, NM. During that time we got to know Doug and Pat of Doug's Kawasaki in Farmington, NM. Doug's been dealing Kawis' for 40+ years in the same location. Great dude. Patty and I went through Farmington on our way to Colorado to see Doug and say hi. When we got there, he had just delivered to one of his local customers, one of the only 40 Kawasaki H2R's in the whole US. I missed seeing it by a few hours but Dougs' the man, we hung out over an hour just catching up. I bought my ZRX from his showroom in early 2001. Right where the H2R was sitting. Cool stuff.

canyoncarver said:
Welllll, didn't get to it yet. Other stuff and whatever.

Quick story though I forgot to post about on our Colorado trip. Short history. Back in the 80's my family owned Rider Suzuki/Kawasaki in Belen, NM. During that time we got to know Doug and Pat of Doug's Kawasaki in Farmington, NM. Doug's been dealing Kawis' for 48 years in the same location. Great dude. Patty and I went through Farmington on our way to Colorado to see Doug and say hi. When we got there, he had just delivered to one of his local customers, one of the only 40 Kawasaki H2R's in the whole US. I missed seeing it by a few hours but Dougs' the man, we hung out over an hour just catching up. I bought my ZRX from his showroom in early 2001. Right where the H2R was sitting. Cool stuff.

Cool stuff you're doing with your 'Rex Sir. :D

I have two H2 stories from the weekend. :)

1)We were off to Canadian Tire Motorsports Park for a vintage racing weekend and stopped by Hindle Exhaust to see if our old friend Lang Hindle was there. Turned out we'd just missed him, but there was a cool machine on the work stand.

Working on a can for the H2 'beast'. :eek: 8)

2) The previous weekend was the Superbike Weekend at CTMP. Kawasaki had the 'track only' H2R there. A former Canadian Superbike champ took it for a couple of demo 'hot laps'. Witnesses said they've NEVER heard sound from a race bike like that before!! :eek:

Crazy cool. :D

That is awesome Drewski. Thanks for sharing the pics and stories. I've been dying just to sit on one.

There's only one dealer here in Phoenix (that I know of) that has these in stock, and won't let you touch them.....

Love the ZRX, if I didn't have my ZX14 I'd have a ZRX doing exactly what you're doing.

DesertKZ said:
There's only one dealer here in Phoenix (that I know of) that has these in stock, and won't let you touch them.....

Love the ZRX, if I didn't have my ZX14 I'd have a ZRX doing exactly what you're doing.

Thanks man. If I had a ZX14, I'd probably be in jail.

SS brake lines on order. Should be here this week. New grips and some little bar end mirrors to try out too.

Got the new lines on last night. I cleaned more grunge out than I expected.

Attachments

• zrx_lines1.jpg
    zrx_lines1.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 371
  • zrx_lines2.jpg
    zrx_lines2.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 394
  • zrx_lines3.jpg
    zrx_lines3.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 378
Brake lines all done, bled and working well. I also did a bleed/flush on my clutch hydraulics. It'll need another cleaning but it can wait until winter.

Great work on your zrx! :D I've got braided lines in my future as well. 8)

Back
Top Bottom