www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Long awaited CB200 Build  (Read 8957 times)

Offline bex

Re: Long awaited CB200 Build
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2015, 17:59:28 »
That sucks of course, I've never built a bike before, so there will be mistakes no doubt. I'm not sure how to accurately work out full bump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2015, 18:20:35 »
did you take a measure so you get the swingarm angle back to stock ? full bump is just that shocks bottomed out hard it is a dead simple thing to do but a vey important clearance deal

Offline bex

Long awaited CB200 Build
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2015, 18:27:32 »
I think the swing arm angle won't change, because the swing arm is still the original and the pivot points are exactly the same, same wheel diameter/hub height etc. I can't measure shocks as I don't have any yet, although the height of the hoop isn't a lot different from the original frame so I'm not thinking it will be an issue. You may of course be right and it could be close but I don't think it's any problem.

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2015, 19:28:25 »
The pic in Post #5 shows a steeper swingarm angle than stock.  I think that's what he's referring to.  You show shocks in the first pics, so assuming those are stock, anything you buy should match that length.  The stock frame has a crossmember that stiffens the frame and mounts the rear shock.  Your modified frame ends at or near that member, except it's at least 2 inches lower than the top of the member.  Just with those things considered, you reduced your clearance by at least that much.

Offline bex

Long awaited CB200 Build
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2015, 04:37:32 »
Still not sure I get you - why do you think the swing arm is steeper than stock? Except perhaps for a bit of a flat tyre it shouldn't be - it's not been touched. Although it's falling apart with rust underneath so I have a replacement.

The stock shocks are not long enough and slightly longer ones are needed, though the resulting  angle they lie at is much the same as stock, the mounting points are a bit higher.

The new frame will get cross members to brace it too.

Granted clearance may be a bit less but not in any major way.

Appreciate all the comments. Not sure what I'm missing.... :-/

« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2015, 04:45:22 by bex »

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2015, 05:10:39 »
HOW did you maintain the stock ride height ? did you document or witness the exact ride height ? (stock)
you should have done this and gotten the shocks FIRST and then build
if you change the rear ride height even an inch from stock then you start to maybe adsversly fuck up the handling
the rear wheel goes upand down when you hit bumps this is another factor and where clearance comes in at full bump

Offline bex

Long awaited CB200 Build
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2015, 05:22:39 »
Hey relax, it's just a bike :)

Of course you're right about changes having adverse affects but it's all part of the challenge. If I didn't want to take any risks I would just leave it stock and pig ugly and then why bother with the build at all.... It's supposed to be a learning curve.

Almost every build I look at changes the ride height by simply changing seat units or similar. The more adventurous ones start chopping frames, dropping forks, etc etc and completely changing ride height, position, everything. It's a different bike in the end that will need some work to 're-handle'.

Comments and advise always appreciated of course.
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2015, 05:29:02 by bex »

Offline bex

« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2015, 06:00:04 »
Cutting templates to cap off the frames.

Offline alzcbz

« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2015, 09:14:12 »
At full compression, on the stock bike, the tire traveled up between the frame rails. That's why there is concern about clearance with that flat frame loop.
This is how I built my subframe:

And I checked it at full compression with the spring removed from the shock:

Hope you have clearance in the tank tunnel, now that your subframe rails occupy that same area.
You are very ambitious, and that's a good thing. Just take heed when people are questioning your decisions.
Carry on.
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2015, 09:27:11 by alzcbz »
73 CL350 Hardtail somethin turned into café
99 ZRX1100-Green
73 CB350G-Sold
89 Hawk GT Race bike-Sold
89 TRX250R-Sold

Offline bex

« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2015, 09:31:18 »
Yes all appreciated for sure. Will be checking it out soon and fingers crossed all is good. If not lesson learned and I'll definitely know this for next time around :)