1973 ironhead 1000. "the dark side" dead tail

Rider52 said:
Both forks are made by Showa, but I had no idea they were that close. Nice job on making do with what you have. I personally feel any Honda twin leading shoe brake is superior to the first generation of Harley disk brakes. When I build up the 73 basket, I planned on using a Honda CL77 305 scrambler front wheel. I was thinking I would need a new axle. Now I'll just zap on a spare set of Honda 750 lowers and use a Honda axle. Thanks for doing the R&D!!!!

I figured there had to be some family blood after looking at them. I used pretty much all the guts outta the harley. Springs and tube i.d. are smaller diameter than the honda lashup. I am sure i am not the first to do this, and truth be told i wouldnt have bought all these parts to do this, i just had em around and it all worked out. I like to document this stuff for that very reason. I searched the interwebs and didnt find anything, but now maybe the next guy will. I may have to do some shortening or make some spacers for the damper rod as they are a few inches longer than the honda ones and the cb ones wont fit down in the harley tubes.

Re: 1973 ironhead 1000. "the dark side" dead tail

Got the hoops de-laced. Even with as grungy as everything was, all the nipples broke loose without to much drama
fef2568ea0baf35946867255a5ba6221.jpg

Lost of crustified grease and grime, but nothing was seized up, broke or overly worn.
fcacee02f70e65a267af9047c20a827c.jpg

de94ff487aaacc1d4a533908cf9d7870.jpg

e97bf03499d1c73b976ef85893925b0d.jpg

Got a couple layers of crud busted loose. It all cleaned up well. I have s.s. spokes on the way. Even the chrome on the levers is "good enough" to use for this project. I may powder coat the rims or just spring for a black aluminum mikes xs... but looking like powdercoat at this point.
de4107ed202b27b6c2a90e3808634746.jpg

hurco550 said:
Got the hoops de-laced. Even with as grungy as everything was, all the nipples broke loose without to much drama Lost of crustified grease and grime, but nothing was seized up, broke or overly worn. Got a couple layers of crud busted loose. It all cleaned up well. I have s.s. spokes on the way. Even the chrome on the levers is "good enough" to use for this project. I may powder coat the rims or just spring for a black aluminum mikes xs... but looking like powdercoat at this point.

Glad to see that ol' girl is staying true to form! Since it sat in a barn for 40 years or so, when I started pulling it apart I thought pieces were going to come off reluctantly. Instead, other than being extremely dirty, everything was pretty easy and in excellent condition, especially with the number of miles it had. Excellent job of using what's on hand to git r done.

There was just one bolt that was being stubborn. It's the retainer for the speedo drive. It honestly was messed up (looks like a long time ago) before I got it. Though I did make it worse haha
bbf819c574210eae260dbf6dd4f0897a.jpg

So I did a little tig buildup
0829876f8af36504f12c29fb5bf40c2f.jpg

Very little effort with some pliers and she was out
8e556435ac1c0b57b2228ab12419d5fb.jpg

Just a little cleanup to fix some discoloration and she is good as new
e5881639b9af14d5b814979169ab59d4.jpg

Used a local powder coat place for my front hoop. Pretty disappointed to say the least. I could have gotten a better finish out of a $2 can of spray paint. It's orange peeled something horrible and has little sharp spike looking things coming out all over. He quoted me $50 and only charged me $40 at least. I don't ask people to work for free, but I really don't think I should have been charged for this job.

Can I wet sand some of this out, or is it just a lost cause at this point? I de-greased the wheels before I sand blasted the rim well and de-greased it again before dropping it off.

These pics don't do it justice. Should I just cut my losses and get a new rim or try to fix this powder?

0fbe88a78be387ff7b9d7c9074b35816.jpg

fae4c56ed535f328e5eee6c1e99f4e99.jpg

87d8548e68e983c3ad1ac7e6375c7078.jpg

That's appalling work! I would open a can of whoop ass on him. Jeez.
Really that isn't acceptable at all.

hurco550 said:
Can I wet sand some of this out, or is it just a lost cause at this point? I de-greased the wheels before I sand blasted the rim well and de-greased it again before dropping it off.

These pics don't do it justice. Should I just cut my losses and get a new rim or try to fix this powder?

You can sand and buff it mang, but I would just blow it off again and buy some appliance epoxy, prime it with zinc and shoot it as many times as you want to get that real powder gloss. I have been using it and it works great, even in a floor board it's held up with no wear.

Erskine said:
That's appalling work! I would open a can of whoop ass on him. Jeez.
Really that isn't acceptable at all.
Yeah pretty much. He was kinda giving me the "it is was it is" run around and I was just doing all I could to not lose my cool in there.

I am doing a bit of wet sanding. It's bad that my first pass with 320 makes them way better than they were. It's almost a textured finish.

Lesson learned, I won't be using them anymore for anything. The more I sand, the madder I get.
deviant said:

Tune-A-Fish said:
You can sand and buff it mang, but I would just blow it off again and buy some appliance epoxy, prime it with zinc and shoot it as many times as you want to get that real powder gloss. I have been using it and it works great, even in a floor board it's held up with no wear.
If I can get it descent wet sanding it I'll try. I'd hate to think how long it would take to blast it off. He said he put 5 layers on to try to "fix" it. It shows, looks like he put 5 layers of asphalt tar on it.

Will being 5 coats make it Crack? I'm a few hours into wet sanding now and it's coming out pretty decent. Still not happy about it, I just don't feel like trying to blast all that off. I've heard it's a real bear to get back off

Man, buddy, that sux! Let me know who that is so I won't be tempted to go there!

ridesolo said:
Man, buddy, that sux! Let me know who that is so I won't be tempted to go there!
Yeah, such is life. It's racecraft on rt.4 just south of Marion. They won't be getting any more of my business, and I wouldn't recommend them getting any of yours.

hurco550 said:
Yeah, such is life. It's racecraft on rt.4 just south of Marion. They won't be getting any more of my business, and I wouldn't recommend them getting any of yours.

Hear ya. I have used the place over in Mansfield out near the airport. In the past they've been good, fast, and not terrible expensive. When I worked for PECO II in Galion we had a coating plant right there in the building and the guys could/would throw stuff into their batches for me for the cost of materials. The biggest problem w/ that was that it was a little like buying a Model T; you can get any color you want... as long as it's black.

Lots of sanding later, it's too the point of being usable. Still not perfect, but I guess this isn't going to be a show bike.
6f3cb942b5c9ae1567b1bdfb20efb21c.jpg

hurco550 said:
Lots of sanding later, it's too the point of being usable. Still not perfect, but I guess this isn't going to be a show bike.
6f3cb942b5c9ae1567b1bdfb20efb21c.jpg

You my friend are a better man than me... I would of made them buy me a replacement :eek:

Tune-A-Fish said:
You my friend are a better man than me... I would of made them buy me a replacement :eek:

I still may make him. im not super happy with it even after sanding, but I may have screwed myself by paying him in the first place

Meh, live and learn... dude knows we all do. what rim isit? maybe we can come up with a clean one to hit with epoxy 8)

Back
Top Bottom