Sr250 Tracker

Just more info to consider: the front wheel can take up to a 100/90-18 tire (120/90-18 if you raise the front fender with custom brackets); the rear can take a 130/90-16. This may give you a couple more tires to choose from.

Some tires others have used: Dunlop D404, Bridgestone Spitfire (MotoMucci), Pirelli City Demon (bdtuth, Chiel), Cheng Shin (Cosworth); I have a set of Shinko 712s on as I wanted a slightly more aggressive tread for a street tracker look.

Good to know zap2504. If I run larger sizes will I have to run larger tubes as well? I've already ordered them. Also turns out the Durotour was the oem tire on the cb400ss in the early 2000's

Update! So a lot has happened in the last couple of months. After installing a new ignition unit and head gasket the bike runs swell! Been daily driving it for about 3 weeks now and have put over 150 miles on it without so much as a hiccup. Still the stock carb. With the help of a good friend and moto mechanic I've solved the draw issue so no more dead batteries, been through the brakes and checked off a lot of the essentials left on the list. Only real mechanical thing left to fix is the front forks. The sag under braking is ridiculous to I'll be looking into new springs and oil for sure. Here is what she looks like now with new front signals (waiting on brackets for rear) and a mockup of the final look I'm going for. After getting some riding under my belt I completely agree with the compromise between cafe/practical and think this is a good setup. All for under 1K too so happily within my budget.

as she sits
12493593_10208651229502514_5969780680964975943_o.jpg

end goal
12496065_10208651229462513_506554543834221788_o.jpg

close to the finish line!

Replace the fork seals and oil before you go off spending money on new springs. While I'm sure they're a bit worn and less than adequate, you might find seals and oil are enough to mitigate a lot of your braking dive

Preload will help a lot and you can do it any time. Cut some one inch lengths of the proper diameter PVC pipe and install them in the fork tubes on top of the springs under the fork caps.

Obviously, take the weight off of the front end before you do it.

Glad to see you back.

DohcBikes said:
Glad to see you back.

Glad to be back. I'll give that PVC thing a shot and I've got a filter on the way. The airbox was trashed beyond saving when I bought the bike so pod filter will have to do for now. My new 4cell lipo arrived and holy crap it's tiny! gonna start mocking up a newer battery box. New controls and perches, bar end mirrors, and exhaust wrap arrived today so will gladly fit them tomorrow. In communication with Jadus at the moment about a seat and that should wrap this sub 1K practical commuter build up! Thinking about repainting the tank silver and getting the existing yamaha badges recut out of some polished copper since I have access to a plasma cutter through a friend.

FYI - there was a SR250-T version that had a 2-piece seat.
http://allfotocars.com/data_images/gallery/04/yamaha-sr-250/yamaha-sr-250-04.jpg
The rear seat fastened to a metal sub-plate and could be swapped out for an optional lockable plastic tail box. The complete assembly should swap out with any 1-piece seat. That way you could have a single seat and mount a small luggage rack on the sub-plate to look more "scramblerish".

Also - try switching to 20W fork oil.

I have a similar state project and similar experience so your build is pretty helpful. Good to see you take other people's advice. What ended up being your issue draining the battery? I have something draining mine at the moment too

zap2504 said:
FYI - there was a SR250-T version that had a 2-piece seat.
http://allfotocars.com/data_images/gallery/04/yamaha-sr-250/yamaha-sr-250-04.jpg
The rear seat fastened to a metal sub-plate and could be swapped out for an optional lockable plastic tail box. The complete assembly should swap out with any 1-piece seat. That way you could have a single seat and mount a small luggage rack on the sub-plate to look more "scramblerish".

Also - try switching to 20W fork oil.

Will keep the oil in mind. Jadus is sending me a new seat prototype to test out that should fit the bill perfectly but I won't post any pictures till it get's here and is on the bike. Until I've got the time to rebuild, a home depot run is definitely in order to grab some PVC for the time being.

Milpool said:
I have a similar state project and similar experience so your build is pretty helpful. Good to see you take other people's advice. What ended up being your issue draining the battery? I have something draining mine at the moment too

Honestly I'm not entirely sure. My buddy went through the wiring and cleaned it up and cleaned all of the connection points. More likely it seems it was just an old as shit battery that wouldn't hold a charge. I just upgraded to a 4 cell lithium and haven't had any issues.

Here are a few pictures with the new lithium 4 cell. http://www.dimecitycycles.com/6-amp-hour-120-cca-antigravity-4-cell-battery.html completely opens up where the battery tray was. So much room for activities! Also cleaned up the wiring a bit so it was less awkward and dangly. Just discovered those cool zip ties that you twist to break off excess. New battery weighs about a pound. Mocking up a battery box to tuck under where the old mounting points were for the big battery tray but man it looks cool out of the way.

12509255_10208682840132760_5333720940659773888_n.jpg

12552793_10208682840252763_8666487074173440979_n.jpg

still can't get over how tiny that battery is!

I'm currently building an SR250 myself, plan to redo the loom as wiring old/corroded, lugs are brittle and broken etc. looking at a new battery, I assume you replaced the regulator/rectifer? Which one did you get?

Back
Top Bottom