Ducati Mobster

thats really awesome crasftsmanship you got my vote not that that means anything
i was wondering if you did any rough prototyping of the seat so that you could ride and see how the rider position is,
because it looks to me like you cannot move at all,it looks like you are stuck in one position

Long time.. Little progress...

I have made the upper part of the tank and it looks pretty mean! But sadly that's about it for this update.

Here are a few timelapse videos of the process
https://youtu.be/2_lYc6ZfxpE

I vacuum bagged the part into the mould. It has 2x layers of basalt, 1x layer of kevlar, and I think 4x layers of glass.

Here's the part in the mould with the peel ply removed:
4ae3bf_d441b50d6c4144319d9a6fdb11bb2e67~mv2.jpg

And fresh out of the mould:
4ae3bf_9123b17aa504453a867872095be2813a~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_b5937e50535441dab9ad894a5c2cb81a~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_d3b03a59e1cd4489812c64b330459077~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_f87399a4c16e4c82a4842b4c86ebbbb5~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_89513aea7c53484eabfac832c474f0dd~mv2.jpg

There are a bunch of bubbles and a few big voids which will need patching with epoxy and polishing back. Luckily though most of these imperfections are on the upper half of the tank which will be painted over so I think I'll get away with it. I think one of my big mistakes with this part was mixing up 500ml of epoxy at once which started to heat up and gel really quickly meaning that the first batch of epoxy in the mould was nearly set by the time I applied the vacuum. I should've mixed much smaller batches and possibly done the part in a few separate layups. Still planning to make a second one of these parts so hopefully I can do a better job on the next one.

Finally, I gave the tank a trim (damn hard to cut through kevlar btw. took two nights and a few hacksaw blades) and mocked it up on the frame. It's just temporary and not sitting in the correct spot but pretty happy with how it transforms the look!

4ae3bf_20eea717a68147aabcb907443303731d~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_342f1f23156441468bd52014b288afe9~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_7176e890193f44b79f038fe2b542a367~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_294bcdb3584d42639c7db10c04a39f7c~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_256e2c0d1aa3484c9751fab49a15d5ab~mv2.jpg

Did a quick photoshop which shows what I'm aiming for. Added some paint, shifted the tail and tank to their correct position, removed the cans (not sure exactly what I'll do with the exhaust), shortened the subframe, shrunk the front fender, and raised the rear sus.
4ae3bf_d7ece4b486fe49b6a7a0fbe0ab5adc11~mv2.jpg

Next step is to make the mould for the base of the tank, line the inside faces with Caswell tank liner and glue the halves together to finish off the part. Once I've got it together and checked it fits the bike then I'll go back and lay up the second tank.

If anyone's still reading find me on instagram @max_betteridge_design
https://www.instagram.com/max_betteridge_design/

And check out the build on my website:
http://www.maxbetteridgedesign.com/building-the-ducati-cafe-racer

P.S. to anyone who is out there wanting info on making a composite fibreglass / carbon fibre fuel tank. I have had a quick email conversation with Fantino from over on SOHC4 forum. He is building a sweet CB500 and he is a bit of a composites guru. He's doing a carbon tank and tail for his bike:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,159637.50.html
Tank20and20Seat20Concept_zpsyiyecowt.jpg

Here is our email convo:

Hi Evan,

My name's Max, I'm half way through a Ducati Monster cafe racer build and I've got a few questions about composite fuel tanks.

Here's a link to my build thread on Do The Ton: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68876.60

I am building a new tail, belly pan, and fuel tank from basalt fibre. I've just moulded the upper half of my tank but I haven't finished the lower half yet and haven't assembled it yet (and haven't put up the latest pics yet either).

My workmate put me onto your thread because you're also building a composite tank and you obviously know your stuff about resins and fuels. I live in New Zealand where we don't have ethanol in most of our fuels. I have made the tank with basalt, glass, and a layer of kevlar and I have laid it up with standard marine grade epoxy. My intention was to then coat the inside of the tank with a fuel tank liner like the POR15 product or something similar. Before I go any further with this part I just wanted to get your opinion on it and check if it's wise to keep going with this method or if I need to redo it with a better resin?
You mention on your thread that the tank liner delaminating from the tank could be an issue, is this something I need to worry about? Do you know if there are particular liners which are compatible with epoxy?
I have also had a quick search for the resin you said you used but I can't find a supplier in New Zealand and I'm not sure how difficult it would be to import.

This is the resin I have used: http://www.nzfibreglass.co.nz/2015/shopexd.asp?id=87
And I was going to buy something like this to line it: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/POR15-STANDARD-FUEL-TANK-SEALER-1-LITRE-/191990282149?hash=item2cb38337a5:g:t14AAOSwXeJYGA5w

Thanks a lot for your help,
Max.

Hi Max,

Very impressive work, you've been very thorough with your mold design and fabrication. I'm jealous of your access to NC machines, definitely what I miss most from my days working in aerospace! The laser cut coremat is super slick! Basalt fiber is also pretty uncommon in these parts, is this an easy to find product in NZ?

My own mold making progress has been significantly slowed down due to work obligations and indecision on locking down my CAD, but I've taken to 3D printing my molds as I don't really have the patience for more traditional fabrication. This is actually how we've started making low run production molds at my current work, it's really been a huge boon for productivity.

Anyways, onto your specific questions :)

Not knowing what additives go into your local fuels (and how that may change over the next 1,5,10 years) I can't offer much insight about how everything will hold up other than to say you should make a test coupon and do a submersion test for peace of mind. You may find your lam epoxy holds up fine without any coatings. To be frank, most general laminating epoxies (Bis-A/Amide) are already gasoline resistant. They may degrade over time, especially in elevated temperatures, but you're unlikely to see the epoxy dissolve into the fuel and clog up lines, even aggressive modern fuels. Failure is more likely to manifest in the deterioration of mechanical properties, so it will become more of an issue of tank longevity. I'll emphasize again that you should test your resin as there are literally hundreds of resin and hardener formulations and thousands of combinations thereof.

The poor reputation of composite tanks "melting" and gumming up the works is largely due to the majority of commercially available composite tanks being made from polyester resins which do not fare well with modern US gas. These tanks are primarily intended for racing, so the fuel blends are different and the tanks get emptied and dried out between races. It is their use on street bikes where folks start to see issues with the fuel system getting clogged.

In general I also would say with any composite fuel tank it's probably good advice to drain and store your fuel when you're not frequently riding the bike.

POR-15 will probably *work* but it's not my favorite coating for epoxy. It's a polyurethane based coating that cures via a humidity activated catalyst. Most coating failures are typically a result of improper surface prep or poor application conditions, as this coating relies entirely on mechanical bonding to its substrate. When it fails it tends to flake off or come off in sheets and block fuel lines. You have access to the inside of the tank before you join it together so you'll be able to prep the surface better than just shaking some screws around and rinsing it out with acetone.

Generally speaking, urethane is less chemically resistant than epoxies, so I'm doubtful it will gain you much and does add some risk due to the possibility of delam. POR-15 as a tank sealer is better suited as a lower cost option for polyester tanks which have very poor chemical resistance and where it's best suited as a sealer and rust inhibitor on steel tanks.

Unfortunately even on my side of the pond access to more exotic epoxy formulations are pretty limited if you are a small volume consumer. MAX GRE and the Caswell tank liner are about the only options I've found for Bis-F/Novolac (Phenol) based epoxies. They have improved chemical resistance across the board and are well suited to fuel tank applications.

You'll notice that most folks who complain about failure of the Caswell kit and other liners complain that it breaks off in pieces, and it's usually a steel tank. I can almost guarantee this is due to a combination of bad surface prep and differing rates of thermal expansion between the tank and liner. If you can get your hands on a Caswell kit you can avoid this with good surface prep, but also your liner and matrix will be more or less the same material and will expand at the same rate which will help some. If your matrix resin is still a bit green, you may also get some cross linking at the boundary layer which will improve adhesion between the coating and your substrate.

It's probably overkill to build an entire tank from a Novolac epoxy, but I like the peace of mind.

You can improve the properties of any epoxy product by post-curing. In fuel tank applications, your biggest enemy is heat. Elevated temperatures reduce the mechanical and chemical properties of your resin. When you cure epoxy at room temperature it cross-links polymer chains until they chains become long and tangled and lose enough mobility to make any additional links (vitrification). Post curing the resin at a higher temp increases the mobility of the chains and allows more complete cross-linking and thus a higher glass transition temperature, improved chemical resistance and improved mechanical properties. General amine/amide based laminating resins typically have a fairly narrow range for improvement before the resin will begin to degrade, but you can probably get away with baking the part at 55-65C for 2-4 hours and will see some improvement in your resin properties.

I don't know if any of this was really helpful or provided any additional clarity for your project, but if you have any other questions I'm happy to offer what advice I can.

Keep up the good work Max, your project looks awesome!

-Evan

Thanks a lot for your reply Evan. it's given me a lot more confidence.

I'm definitely spoilt with my access to machines and equipment. At least I make the most of it unlike most of my other workmates ;)
I like your approach, especially what you've done with the 3d printed plug. The tank upper is the first composite part I've made the traditional way shaping the plug by hand and making a fibreglass mould and I don't think I'll do it again! Something like an FDM form to get you 90% of the way there is not a bad option at all.

I couldn't find basalt anywhere in NZ, I even struggled to find it overseas. I bought all of my basalt and kevlar from china through Alibaba. Overall a good experience and the seller was helpful, however the mat did get slightly bent and damaged in transit. Thankfully this is less of an issue with basalt than it is with carbon as the weave is much less prominent and more forgiving in the final part.

I have had a look through the Caswell site and I really like the sound of their product. I will do a bit more research and see if I can get my hands on a kit. I'm kicking myself for throwing away the offcuts from my tank upper now. I actually saved them and left them on the floor of my garage thinking I might want them but after a few weeks I chucked them all out! I'll have to do the submersion test with some offcuts of the next part. I had also considered baking the parts but wasn't sure if that was necessary and as I don't have an oven big enough at my disposal I thought I might forget about it. After what you've said though I will make sure I bake everything once the halves are glued together.

I did have one other question, I read in your thread that you were planning to keep the kevlar away from the outer edge of the part to make trimming easier. Is this common practice? Will this not compromise the strength of the seam which is most likely already a weak area of the part? This is the first time I've ever worked with kevlar and I couldn't believe how hard it was to trim. If you think it's ok to end the kevlar layer slightly before the edge then I think I will give that a go for the next part.

If there's one piece of advise I've got to offer which I don't think many composites guys know is that a laser cutter makes light work of cutting peelply, glass, basalt, and even kevlar (not laminated, just the mat). I haven't tried carbon but I imagine it'd be similar to basalt. It makes a beautiful neat edge and actually fuses the fibres so they won't fray and makes them very easy to handle. Especially useful for someone like you who is already designing in CAD. I cut mine on a 90 Watt laser which is very low power, practically any laser cutting shop would be capable of doing it and their prices are pretty reasonable. But then again you probably have all the fancy tools and tricks which I don't have for working with carbon and kevlar..

As long as you don't object I might put this email chain up on my build thread for others to read. Seems hard to find much helpful info on this topic online, this might help someone else later on.

All the best with your progress. I've got no doubt you're getting there faster than I am at the moment!

Thanks,

Max.

Yes, feel free to post our correspondence. You're right, it can be very hard to find more in-depth information on composites for DIYers.

I ended up deciding the first plug was a little too big, so I'm reprinting it scaled down. I'm trying out saving a step by printing the mold surfaces directly. Will take about 50% longer to print and use about twice as much material, but it should save time and money over the traditional method in the end.

See if you can find a datasheet for your resin system, just to be sure what temperature your resin can handle. Most general purpose lam resins should post-cure fine in the 55-70C range, 80C will probably be pushing it. Make sure you heat up and cool the part while it's in the mold to prevent it warping and setting into a new shape.

I'm not sure what type of business your shop is, but I often have good luck getting resin "samples" from industrial suppliers by expressing interest in a product from my business email. I'm always surprised when European chemical suppliers send products across the pond and even cover the shipping! Drop in the bucket for them I guess.

With the Caswell kit, I think they deliver it in bags now instead of cans, but I would pour the two halves into a resealable container. Since you have the luxury of having both halves of the tank split apart, you can brush on the epoxy and get much more even coverage with less material waste compared to slosh coating. I bet you would have enough left over to use the Caswell resin as your adhesive to join the two tank halves together, might need to thicken it up a bit with some fumed silica though.

Laser cutting kevlar actually sounds like a really good idea I might have to bring up at our next continuous improvement meeting, it's a real nightmare to cut dry fabric. We use an ultrasonic shear for the most part at my current work, but we're not usually cutting out very precise shapes. From what I've heard carbon needs a significantly higher powered laser, but I've never tested it. At my old job everything was prepreg so it wasn't compatible with lasers, they cut everything on big NC plotters with ultrasonic knife blades.

Regarding kevlar setback... It depends on your application and what you're trying to achieve. Apologies in advance if I am repeating information you already know, but the thing about composite fuel tanks is they're not really "engineered" structural parts. The properties of the composite we are taking advantage of are low weight, relative ease of fabrication and cosmetics. From a mechanical perspective, we're taking the "black aluminum" approach by constructing the part entirely out of woven fabrics and thus having *relatively* uniform properties in all directions (as opposed to say a structural carbon part which would have unidirectional fibers oriented to account for a tensile load along a specific axis of the part). This is fine because a gas tank isn't a part that sees high loads in any specific direction. The most likely high-load scenario for a tank is (unfortunately) a crash.

Keep in mind that strength and stiffness are not the same, carbon is stiff and strong but likely to fail in high energy impact loads (the fibers kink and break under compression and propagate cracks). Kevlar is strong and abrasion resistant, but not stiff. It won't add much stiffness to our composite part (it's about as stiff as glass), however, If it is used to reinforce areas that may see an impact load or drag on the ground, we can expect a better chance of the tank not cracking at the location of impact or being quickly worn through by the asphalt. This is good when we are trying to avoid spilling flammable liquids on the pavement, haha.

Kevlar will be most effective on the sides of your tank or wherever a part is likely to hit the ground if the bike is dropped, you may even consider adding a little extra kevlar locally where the tank will contact the ground if dropper. It will add some toughness to your overall laminate, but shouldn't significantly change the strength of your part near the seams. The adhesive joint is likely to fail first anyways (adhesive joints can be stronger than their adherends, but typically only when bond lines are very thin, uniform with controlled surface preparation). You can always setback the kevlar around cutouts like the filler cap and petcock and keep it at one or both seams if you are concerned. A tip for finishing fuzzy edges on trimmed kevlar parts is to wet them out with CA adhesive (superglue) and sand the edge down. The fuzzy edges will break off and as long as you don't sand too deep, you will avoid fuzzing out more material.

Sorry for the long-winded answer to a simple question!

-Evan

Nice work. Thanks for posting that's conversation. Very interesting. I think a part that large and with so many layers would be a perfect candidate for resin infusion rather than a wet layup.

doc_rot said:
I think a part that large and with so many layers would be a perfect candidate for resin infusion rather than a wet layup.

You're not the first person to say that @doc_rot. I've just never tried it and don't know anyone who has and I'm scared I'll screw it up!If I did mess it up it'd be a pretty expensive screw up.. But I am going to look into it next time I make this part. I think it might be time I learnt

Sorry to say that I have almost run out of enthusiasm to keep updating this thread :S
Here is the progress from the last six (!) months

I have been taking it quite easy on this project but I visited Deus Ex in LA a few months ago and returned with renewed enthusiasm, and with the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride coming up later this month I was determined to get the bike rideable, if not completely finished by then. It's not quite finished yet, but it's close now!

4ae3bf_782455ed50ad4fc78d0cd5cfb376cc49~mv2.jpg

Last time I had just made my first tank upper. I have since made a new one of these with much better results. I was a lot more careful to get the vacuum onto the part before the resin started curing; I split the job up into two separate layups and also kept my mixed resin cool by tipping it into a shallow tray. I was able to get a much better surface with much smaller bubbles and also the weave of the basalt showed much more prominently.

The next step was the base of the fuel tank. This mould was made with laser cut 10mm MDF and designed to be disassembled during demoulding.

4ae3bf_0b1832d4257d43c4afccbcdefbfa0f6f~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_800e06dfada34bb88f47865a63f81896~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_bb88c44e617e4e0c9e4b4d28043efe7d~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_4c3e684b99c44bedb63da0c41a2a3515~mv2.jpg

The part fit the frame well and I also checked that it would fit snug inside the upper before moving on
4ae3bf_2e2439f5826841de8e33080557f0a187~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_3828d8067f4c432aa39f55bc1d725c48~mv2.jpg

I made a custom flange to mount the fuelpump and level sensor and feed/return lines.
4ae3bf_cc5504a4a5954c628ba6969fbdd09515~mv2.jpg

I copied the design of the California Cycleworks MTT flange thinking that it would fit my tank but it did not... By the time I realised this it was almost too late. The fuel level sensor was directly on top of the cross member on the frame where the old tank hinge mounted and I didn't want to cut this member for certification reasons. I ended up salvaging the M30x1.5 thread from the centre of my part and relocating it off to the side of the tank base and remaking a new flat flange plate which actually made the whole thing a lot simpler to assemble.
I glued a ring of 10mm aluminium with tapped holes onto the inside of the tank and a 2mm stainless ring on the outside of the tank for both the fuel pump flange and the fuel filler cap to screw into and seal up against.
4ae3bf_c1a4e5d245094a40a192eab449c0ee7b~mv2.jpg

I glued the upper and lower halves of the tank using epoxy with adhesive filler. Before gluing the halves together I coated the inside faces of both components with Caswell fuel tank liner which is an epoxy based system. After the halves were glued together I put more Caswell into the tank and tried to 'slosh' it around to cover the newly made seams. This product was far too thick to be sloshed around. It slowly dripped around the inside like honey. I should have thinned it down as they suggested in the instructions but the instructions were slightly ambiguous as to what thinner I needed to use and I was affraid to use an incompatible thinner and ruin the result.
4ae3bf_860090a4dba54a8daf5774536c8e18a9~mv2.jpg

I collected some nitrile gasket material and cut my own gasket for the fuel pump flange, I used fibre washers and loctite 567 to try and seal the screws which secure the plate. I haven't pressure tested this but I'm fairly confident it'll hold. And on a side note I did a submersion test with an offcut of my tank upper in petrol and it showed no signs of deteriorating so I don't think the Caswell was even necessary.

I couldn't use the original rubber tank feet at the front of the tank because they just didn't fit. I also wanted to avoid any point loads on the fibreglass, so I made up this support which wedges between the frame tubes. This has a few patches of thin EVA foam on top to take out any vibrations and further spread the load on the glass.
4ae3bf_e24675eeab764cbd9dca0b18bcffa270~mv2.jpg

On the rear of the tank I have reused the original rubber mount which rests directly on the fuel pump flange plate (I'm still not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing but it'll do for now).
The original tank was secured to the frame with a hinge at the rear and an over-centre latch at the front. I had no way of attaching a hinge to the base of my tank and I had no space to adapt a latch for the front either so I had to do something a bit different. A common solution is the fuel tank strap which I wasn't very excited about but it has a lot of merits mechanically, so I gave it a go.
I waterjet cut some 2mm stainless for the straps
4ae3bf_378d74913b7748b4ab9f49b47596d29a~mv2_d_1280_1280_s_2.jpg

4ae3bf_e656042d83e348568aaed1faa7fcf218~mv2.jpg

I opted to have the straps attach directly to the fuel filler cap and they had to go on top of the cap flange which left a large gap between the strap and the actual surface of the tank. To fix this I had to jog the strap down about 3mm. Because this is such an obvious part of the bike I didn't want to use straight jogs because they would look terrible, so I was left with only one (extravagant) option:
4ae3bf_81ed3b4632f24c4e8ec0e715edb619c8~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_b8d55a813ca64d4298d8804bee48f11f~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_69dba3fd0edb40bca4f198bc77d08a6e~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_b376789fa4734d13a24a39cfbcfd6003~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_46a029a4c5a3424e84ef2a8bb440b208~mv2.jpg

I think the result is pretty slick and it's probably better than not having a strap at all, so I'm happy :)
To finish it off I backed it with the same leather I used on the seat and grips and laser engraved a retro Ducati logo onto it
4ae3bf_6617eb85294840aab5d1852939d7f0e0~mv2.jpg

For the seat pan I used waterjet stainless. I didn't want to weld on a hoop because of possible certification complications and also I don't think it really needs that much strength out the back for only a single passenger. I designed the seat pan to slide into the ends of the frame and bolt onto the original front sear mount. These photos don't show it but there are two aluminium plugs turned down to the ID of the frame and bolted onto the vertical part of the tray which slide about 50mm down the tube to secure it.
4ae3bf_58bd3f8e17074f8ea9e233b822716bf3~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_3a1dd8b3ee9e49d0a3b8d5f03a22eb84~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_a2ab0821f7b44f1e9ff40f55a63bc475~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_bf4fc268559e41d98d929ed3f8673056~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_94771eb2216a471180e16dd8e7f9fef3~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_81ca24d8b100436f984392d185f6170d~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_af1749c02fa743a2b7efed79176224e8~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_edc63f53447c409a98a9265f36d76262~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_0871030889e44ee4b4c4d916ef36ab82~mv2.jpg

I also made (/stole) a numberplate bracket on the end of the swingarm. I made this with 2mm stainless but it's a bit flimsy so I will remake this with something a bit thicker when I get time.
4ae3bf_cd582e65d427441f884af233927ba656~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_f7562ec578b4456eb21e5b941b5474b2~mv2.jpg

Lastly I stripped the frame, detabbed it, had it sandblasted, and had it powdercoated in Dulux Matt Champagne Kinetic colour. The rearsets also had some surgery and a lot of polishing.
4ae3bf_a189db94c19e480f9fd9fe27e6d1b33a~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_5e8fe3e386be42bd9e4295d44c3dd0bf~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_bcce4aecfa2e4d479ba668ef955fe36c~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_43ad11159c6f41da8fda6dfbf69a6909~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_69823f8bd1b846f89dc5bc214af231e0~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_c09e943574f3479085b75d2005832e05~mv2.jpg

The frame is now reassembled, all the wiring done, and just waiting on a few brackets to mount the belly pan, some eshaust mid-pipes, and paint. I think that's it!

Next post will be the photoshoot ;)

If you're still reading find me on instagram @max_betteridge_design
https://www.instagram.com/max_betteridge_design/

And check out the build on my website:
http://www.maxbetteridgedesign.com/building-the-ducati-cafe-racer

Really liking this build! Love the use of technology! Imho I would do a modern gp style exhaust or a reverse mega. Looking forward to more updates :)

Keep it up man, this is a stunning build. Love your combo of skills from cad work, to machining to the glass work. Amazing. Bike has brutal stance. Thanks for sharing.

It's finished!

Here are the final things that needed doing.
One of the cans was quite damaged on the outside so I flipped the sleeve to hide the damage.
4ae3bf_73cee6a26ebe47f5a280b67a3129091a~mv2.jpg

I had to waterjet some stainless straps which hung the cans at the right height and offset from the stock hanger.
4ae3bf_1797cfd8e9cb4adcb258afb3442f2d82~mv2.jpg

Then just had to make the intermediate pipes to connect them up. I could've gone to an exhaust shop and hot some bends or at least some straight pipe to segment cut.. But I thought I'd try something different with the material I already had.
4ae3bf_96476d07bd0549e1880bb9f4267b7257~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_8360d8275cc14dddaf1b2c186f90015e~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_229911a63aea431fb5b20ff62ec0ca4f~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_104714f08f694fb9828512892065dce6~mv2.jpg

(BTW they're not supposed to be symmetrical!)
Since I couldn't transport the bike and I don't have a welder at home I had to use the 3D scan and CAD the pipes in Rhino and unroll the segments and waterjet them all connected so that when I rolled and bent them they should all align and match the angles in CAD. This meant I was able to tack them up at work without test fitting on the bike, then only test fitting them once they were welded up. It worked an absolute treat!

The paint was basically the only thing which I outsourced and I'm glad I did! The parts took I think 4x coats of clear just to get a flat surface to lay the basecoat on and then more clear.

4ae3bf_cb8d9f71aa4448dd91da9a89bc4b473a~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_8313f1f1e72242fead6628c9932c741c~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_6b49bc1263af43969ab4b22f706b8a24~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_03b83d92c7ea45488de10c718d0313ac~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_beebac480756495b98f3b4cf7ec9601b~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_84d38837e79645aaa3349554c51e3c65~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_fedad20d941d4c2394e7a028bbe29af2~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_114f99ae7cf542bbabba9750436b7cff~mv2_d_1280_1280_s_2.jpg

4ae3bf_d202f8adaf25425a84e97d3e54ca431c~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_a337d92d86d54b71996c7fe8f2e4d550~mv2.jpg

4ae3bf_5c6958b64b5f4f0f80ae42165c49b92f~mv2.jpg

A few weeks before I finished the bike I came across another custom Monster named the Mobster; I had always been treating Mobster as a bit of a working name for the bike but seeing another one come out with that name made the decision easy for me, the bike definitely needed a new name..

So here it finally is - the 'Flat White'

4ae3bf_97f2bc089c6b4c98b411069a6c9ed132~mv2_d_2048_1365_s_2.jpg

4ae3bf_8aae79e5c4f243e4a339084e5b73adf3~mv2_d_2048_1365_s_2.jpg

4ae3bf_9b5505d6055240b0a22234ab2ccfda0b~mv2_d_2048_1365_s_2.webp

4ae3bf_3f8cc4c0db8c4a3c924b03a843224b0d~mv2_d_2048_1365_s_2.jpg

4ae3bf_f9166a194f0b48af8975db44e0147759~mv2_d_2048_1366_s_2.jpg

4ae3bf_d3e3eed0ccc847d79143440a1dde01e4~mv2_d_2048_1365_s_2.jpg

4ae3bf_18ed30ddb36b4a4a93d6fcc677989b84~mv2_d_2048_1365_s_2.jpg

4ae3bf_4be601e5e2b9470d911a75ce81d31de5~mv2_d_2048_1366_s_2.jpg

4ae3bf_69ec95dbeaca4d6bbd6deb3154d107de~mv2_d_2048_1365_s_2.jpg

4ae3bf_9297ab850e4f41b5b4f50bd36f5af084~mv2_d_2048_1365_s_2.jpg

4ae3bf_a9f07cfb4f6c46c79186dd6fc14fa389~mv2_d_2048_1365_s_2.jpg