sr250 first build, I know nothing at all.

I'll most likely use whatever I can find as I live in the boonies. The idea is to just get this thing running and then strip it down and make it sweet as I rebuild it. I just want to be sure I'm working on something that will actually run rather than a $200.00 boat anchor.

Going to whip up to the "Big City" of Port Hardy tomorrow and see what I can find in the way of connectors.

o1marc said:
And it's that kind of DIY crap that earns powder coating a bad name from poor results. There are very critical steps in the process of powder coating that makes the difference between me and some of the others. If the others did what I do, then I would have competition. Those are on CL because they don't work.

And they charge $550 to paint a frame. Beerslinger and I live on an island in the Pacific Ocean. Shit costs money here. Justified or not.

I've got a couple other quote requests floating around. My buddy let me in on the facts that the auto shop in the neighbouring towns highschool, where the kids from our town go, has an oven and they'll coat stuff just for the learning experience. Free, but dicey.

Sent from my LG-H812 using DO THE TON mobile app

New signal lights came today. Smaller than I expected but fit well on the front. I'm going to have to tap out the holes on the rear, as they're to small.
65ccf4ad2dd296f1a9b28174744b6047.jpg
0ca5b240c3d9c3809a1f455c223472fe.jpg

Not giving you a hard time, but perhaps turn signals should be a little further down the list of priorities at the moment.

You're shooting pretty high for a novice, but with guidance, patience, and a steady supply of cash, you can get there.

You need to go through that motor. Make 100% it's solid. Start making lists. Map out your next steps. Determine what's needed down the road.

You've chosen a killer bike for a first build. Simple and cheap. But start worrying about non essentials now and you'll be selling it for pennies in a month.

Again, don't take this as me giving you shit. I want to see you make it happen. I really do.

Oh, I don't take it as that at all. I do need allot of guidance.

Any knowledge or tips people can give me would be great. I am slightly mechanically inclined, but know nothing about bikes specifically.

I also realize that turn signals are far down the list. The guy I got it from said everything was there except turn signals and headlight. I'm not big on electrical, probably my biggest weakness, but figured if I had a broken circuit that things wouldn't run thus I ordered signals and wired them up.

I figure this build will take me over a year of slowly puttering at it, as I also have to maintain my klr650, and the wife will only allow me to budget so much for the toys.

Von nails it. Take that camshaft out and be prepared for the horror. It will be worn to a nub.

In my build there is a write up about drilling the oil feed bigger and putting a warrior 350 cam in there.

These motors are tough, run like there is a bag of hammers loose in there though. The weak spot is the camshaft oil feed. It will kill the rockers and the cam. Get that inspected first.

I'll take a look, but the guy I got it from said he had just had the head off, and when I looked inside the timing chain cover (big one on top?) it looked (to me) brand new, so I'm wondering if he just redid it. I'll open her up tomorrow and take a picture.

I'll need to order a whole new gasket kit I'm guessing. I'll need to tidy the shop up first as well.

Can't do anything on it for the next week. Have to ride down to Saltspring on Friday to do a ship move up to here. Might even get a chance to cruise the sunshine coast when we layover.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

No gaskets needed to check the camshaft.

eBay and yambits.co.uk are your friend. Stuff from the Uk gets here fast and duty free.

cosworth said:
No gaskets needed to check the camshaft.

eBay and yambits.co.uk are your friend. Stuff from the Uk gets here fast and duty free.
No? I thought I would have to pull the head off of the cylinder. Maybe I will have a chance to have a look today

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

If a gasket set is cheap, order one whether you NEED it now or not. It sucks when the bike is down for a week waiting on a $4 gasket.

You can yank that camshaft out with taking the head off. Tuck that timing chai out of the way and lockwire it to the side. Don't let it drop.

And do not, not be a butterfingers with the bolts. If they drop down in there, where the cam tensioner a are, you'll be pulling the motor and shaking it upside down. If you are lucky...

So be careful. Don't drop anything. You're coming by tomorrow, I'll give you some tips.

Um why try? just put some packing in duh void so IF a bolt drops you can fetch it wit a maggot

Back
Top Bottom