www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 1981 Yamaha SR250 Tracker style build  (Read 7613 times)

Offline Extreme_250

1981 Yamaha SR250 Tracker style build
« Reply #40 on: Jun 22, 2016, 17:53:52 »
Yeah, I'm wanting to put a flat seat on it. Not sure if I want to make one, or buy one from motolanna

Offline Extreme_250

« Reply #41 on: Jun 22, 2016, 17:55:27 »
I'm also wanting to paint the tank, just not sure if I wanna screw with it right now lol.

I'm open to ideas if anyone has any suggestions?
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2016, 17:58:27 by Extreme_250 »

Offline NoRiders

Re: 1981 Yamaha SR250 Tracker style build
« Reply #42 on: Jun 22, 2016, 19:07:45 »
If you want to change the tank, but not paint it, maybe decals could work? There are some good stock model decals that might work or custom decals made to your own design or maybe pinstriping could add a touch of custom class.

Buying in a seat is probably the quickest and cheapest way to a change. Making your own will depend how much you can do yourself and how you want it to look beyond what you can buy off the shelf.

As an example, on my CBX project I made my own seat which included seat base, cut down and shaped stock foam but had the leather stitched by a pro...it looks ace, but cost more than an ebay custom seat....that everyone else has.
Dodgy upholstery will look cack and could spoil the overall bike....many homemade seats look homemade, whereas a pro job can set the bike apart.

Offline JadusMotorcycleParts

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #43 on: Jun 23, 2016, 05:27:49 »
A tank leveling kit and some silver XS650 tank badges from Mikes XS would do a lot I rekon!

Offline JadusMotorcycleParts

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #44 on: Jun 23, 2016, 05:40:00 »
Also, with that exhaust silencer, they come from the factory with a pathetic amount of packing and it will be LOUD.  I always open mine up and repack them with some good 2-stoke silencer packing (can buy from any online MX store) and pack it real tight and wrap with some wire then stuff it all back in.  Ignore the science with back pressure, its super complex, just know that whenever you change something in the exhaust or intake system, you should re-jet and adjust your air screw to suit.  You'll likely run lean if you dont.

You are spot on with the clamp, they are rubbish.  If you dont mind the look, I highly recommend the stainless automotive style clamps - when you tighten them, they tighten around the entire circumference - see attached.

Lastly, no matter how well your fit up and clamp is, you will still end up with some tiny air leaks at the joint and this will affect your jetting.  Its best if you can use a proper exhaust cement when you attach the silencer to seal things up real good :)

Offline Extreme_250

« Reply #45 on: Jun 23, 2016, 13:26:06 »
Yep I bought a new clamp, got the muffler actually tight now lol. Honestly I like how loud the muffler is ATM. I'll get tired of it eventually and repack it.   ;D

Was looking at your build again, (page 11) and I love the look you're going for.

Right now I'm not really planning on doing a lot to the bike, (new tail light is a must though, still searching for one) just a few small things (maybe even a new speedo). I'm sure everyone has noticed, this is a low budget build lol (and most of it I've done before I started this build thread).

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #46 on: Jun 23, 2016, 13:32:53 »
I got to be honest I actually kinda like that seat you have on there now. Has pretty good lines with the stock tank positioning and the stance of the bike.

I wouldn't put a straight up flat seat on there, i think it kills the lines of the bike, but thats just me. If anything, use the pan from that seat you have on there and shave down the pad a bit, but keep the rear hump on there for a +1. Similar to what I've done on the GS but maybe a bit slimmer.
"He broke the mirrors off his Cadillac, 'cause he doesn't like it looking like he looks back."

74 CB360 - Luna - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=63294.0
82 GS550L - Tracker-ish - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=67229.0 - Sold
74 XL350 - The Turd - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70252.0
Suzuki FA50 "No-Ped" - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=71189.0
73 Suzuki RV125 -http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=73875.0

Offline zap2504

« Reply #47 on: Jun 24, 2016, 10:17:46 »
Something else you could consider for a seat is to get a SR250T seat. This was a 3-piece seat (the rear could be swapped with a rear box) that had a front solo seat, rear metal pan, and a rear passenger seat that attached to the pan. You could swap the rear seat for a "scrambler"-like luggage rack. Here's a photo of the bike with the rear box so you can see what the solo seat looks like:
https://terrydean.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/img_20121213_205445.jpg

Offline Extreme_250

« Reply #48 on: Jun 25, 2016, 14:17:08 »
Finally, someone who likes the stock seat! Haha. I've always liked it. It's comfortable and passenger friendly.

Offline Extreme_250

« Reply #49 on: Sep 15, 2017, 21:21:50 »
Got the bike legally on the road today! It took me a long time, but hey me being only 16 it takes time haha. Having some issues with it though. After riding it down the highway then shutting it off, it doesn't wanna start up again. Give it 15 minutes and it'll start up OK with some throttle. I checked the plug and it looked perfect, and it's getting spark when it's hot. Not sure what's wrong, it's never done this before. It doesn't wanna idle right either, keeps stalling at stop. The idle is either to high or to low, I cant seem to get a medium. Any ideas? Also, what is the standard setting for the idle mixture screw? Thanks for any help!