www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Ugly Goose - Moto Guzzi 850T cafe  (Read 32700 times)

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
Re: Ugly Goose - Moto Guzzi 850T cafe
« Reply #50 on: Jun 27, 2016, 16:24:17 »
Here are some after shots.

you can see the corrosion on the top of the motor. this area must collect water easily. I am not sure what to do yet. I used a brass brush, but that didn't help. I may try hitting it with a wire wheel on either my angle grinder or dremel.

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #51 on: Jun 27, 2016, 19:20:43 »
I found this works surprisingly well on Guzzi cases, a little goes a long way...

Offline snmavridis

• Gettin my life together. One bolt. At a time.
« Reply #52 on: Jun 27, 2016, 19:37:19 »
Doing a great job with build notes! Lots to learn here! Got before and afters with the rub n buff?

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #53 on: Jun 27, 2016, 23:24:53 »
I can be anal, but there is no way I am polishing the whole motor. Aluminum paint looks good to me.

I found the build thread for the restoration on this bike and I am using the same high temp aluminum colored paint.

Pretty much the same stuff I used on my CB360 motor - crap that you can buy at the auto parts store.
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2016, 23:26:47 by Rusnak_322 »

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #54 on: Jun 28, 2016, 08:58:13 »
That stuff isn't to polish the cases, it just hides the staining of the alloy, though I don't know how durable the finish will be. Don't have a before and after comparison, but here's what it looks like after the first light 'coat'.

I also considered painting the cases, but decided against it in the end, as its bound to get stone chipped eventually, then it can look worse than leaving the cases unpainted.

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #55 on: Jun 28, 2016, 11:29:13 »
do you think that it will get rid of the patchy finish on the cases? what about the back of the motor that looks like it has battery acid spilled on it? How did you do between the fins?

how long did it take to do? did you do it by hand?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rub-n-Buff-Metallic-Wax-Finish-1-2-Ounce-Ruby/24626333?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=83&adid=22222222227031851617&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=61130956136&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=108538799336&veh=sem

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #56 on: Jun 28, 2016, 14:27:15 »
Awesomeness!
My wife just found this shirt -

We have a 2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs, a 2007 Ducati 1098 and the Moto Guzzi 850T!

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #57 on: Jun 28, 2016, 14:29:03 »
My fins are painted black so that wasn't an issue for me. The corroded part above the gearbox is normally covered by the battery tray, I made a billet tray for mine, but you could fit the original or make a simple plate as a cover.

I just used a rag and my finger, and sometimes a rag and thin piece of wood to get into the tricky to reach areas. Its a bit like toothpaste in consistency, its only a small tube, but a little goes a long way. You have the option of polishing the cases (which I guess is what its made for), but I just left it once dried.. it looks identical to the colour of the cases. Once its dry (which only takes a few minutes), you can add another 'coat' and another etc, until your happy with the result. In my case two coats were enough to hide 99% of the staining of the cases.

I found out about this stuff on here, there's a thread somewhere of using it on a Honda CB, and the owner saying its fantastic. I was sceptical, but I have to admit it does seem to work well.

What I don't know is how durable it will be, in rain etc. But then again it only took me half an hour to go over the whole engine, so if needed, I could always repeat the process every now and again. Over here the little tube cost about £5 which seems a lot of money for such a small amount, but its cheaper than paint if your happy with the results.

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #58 on: Jun 28, 2016, 15:20:15 »
I want the motor to look nice. For a Fathers day gift, my kids gave me this -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290962696179?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #59 on: Jun 28, 2016, 15:30:25 »
My fins are painted black so that wasn't an issue for me. The corroded part above the gearbox is normally covered by the battery tray, I made a billet tray for mine, but you could fit the original or make a simple plate as a cover.

I just used a rag and my finger, and sometimes a rag and thin piece of wood to get into the tricky to reach areas. Its a bit like toothpaste in consistency, its only a small tube, but a little goes a long way. You have the option of polishing the cases (which I guess is what its made for), but I just left it once dried.. it looks identical to the colour of the cases. Once its dry (which only takes a few minutes), you can add another 'coat' and another etc, until your happy with the result. In my case two coats were enough to hide 99% of the staining of the cases.

I found out about this stuff on here, there's a thread somewhere of using it on a Honda CB, and the owner saying its fantastic. I was sceptical, but I have to admit it does seem to work well.

What I don't know is how durable it will be, in rain etc. But then again it only took me half an hour to go over the whole engine, so if needed, I could always repeat the process every now and again. Over here the little tube cost about £5 which seems a lot of money for such a small amount, but its cheaper than paint if your happy with the results.

what do you think the surface finish of this motor is? (stole it from your build thread) is it paint? or is it the natural look of the aluminum? Vapor blasted?

« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2016, 15:37:20 by Rusnak_322 »