Ugly Goose - Moto Guzzi 850T cafe

hidn45 - that is a sharp bike, but it looks more like a muscle bike then the small lightweight café racer look that I am going for. A 6 gal tank hides the massiveness of the motor, and that is what attracted me to a Moto Guzzi in the first place.

Perter said:
... and a phone no to the gal please 8)

No phone number, but the model is Melissa Bryan. She's a fellow rider in our local Portland group.

I'll let you do your own stalking. :p

Perter said:
Very nice bike Randy, is that yours?

Don't I wish!! Came across it on the ol' innerneck...... from France, I believe. My absolute fave. Began life as an 850 t-3, if I recall correctly. If I could find a decent Goose I'd love to do something similar (although red is DEF not my first choice....).

Quite muscular looking, I quite agree. Kinda just threw it out there for the discussion. I like the light look too, but this is just an all out stunning package.....

Sonreir said:
No phone number, but the model is Melissa Bryan. She's a fellow rider in our local Portland group.

I'll let you do your own stalking. :p

Don't worry, I have a wife and 4 kids.... too expensive for me to mesh around :eek:. But never the less I appreciate a nice woman and the combination of her curves and the bikes line is just perfect. Say hi to her from a guy in Denmark next time

I had a busy weekend. I had to modify my rear sets to get them to sit right. Then went from this-
9d2e1589fb78975b0d93c861ab0e2a4d.jpg

To this

240c38fc3b6d1a069f128d5c66b735cf.jpg

In preparation for soda blasting and painting the motor and frame.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

OK,
it was time to cut the frame.

IMG_1009.jpg

I cannot cut it where I think that it would look best due to the rear mounts for the seat and it is getting close to the shock mount. There is a gusset in the way as well.

I wanted it to be a straight cut, and I didn't have a pipe cutter (on know if they would work on this thicker walled steel tube).

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

I wound up using a reciprocating saw after I made sure to make a nice line to guide me.

I know that I will mess with it more later.

I want to have a straight edge to the end of the tube, but I want it closer to the seat. I may use the tubes to house some led brake lights.

What I want to do is cut down the gusset and make it look nicer. I cant see there being any loss of strength to that area. Am I wrong? I marked the area that I want to cut off with blue tape.

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

I also have a bunch of tabs that I need to cut off and areas of the frame that need to be cleaned up before I paint it.

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

From this -
Rusnak_322 said:

to this.

IMG_1155.jpg

what a pain. I bought the wrong cut off wheels, so I had to use a dull reciprocating saw and then sand down with a flapper wheel. luckily I had some 24 and 60 grit, so it didn't take too much time, but it made a mess.

I have some filler work to do, but only really thin. I plan to paint and not powdercoat, so no big deal.

Soda blasted the motor over the weekend. It was 90 degrees out and humid, so I had problems with condensation in the air supply. I have a cheap water separator and bought a harbor freight Inline Desiccant Dryer/Filter that was too small. I didn't realize it, but it has a 1/4" inlet and the soda blaster needed 3/8 to 1/2". So the blaster would work for a short time, but then the pressure fell and I would have to wait while it filled up again. I could hear it, sounded like filling a small air tank.

The carbs cleaned up great. the motor is clean, I went over it with some carb cleaner and paper towels and got the last bits of dirt.

The aluminum still has some stains and corrosion areas, so I am going to paint it with hi temp aluminum paint once the temps and humidity drop back down.

Here are some before shots.

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

Here is the blaster I bought - I was going to buy the HF 15lb soda blaster, but they were out. this sand blaster, with a soda conversion was less money.

IMG_1142.jpg

Here are some after shots.

you can see the corrosion on the top of the motor. this area must collect water easily. I am not sure what to do yet. I used a brass brush, but that didn't help. I may try hitting it with a wire wheel on either my angle grinder or dremel.
IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

I found this works surprisingly well on Guzzi cases, a little goes a long way...

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 486
Doing a great job with build notes! Lots to learn here! Got before and afters with the rub n buff?

I can be anal, but there is no way I am polishing the whole motor. Aluminum paint looks good to me.

I found the build thread for the restoration on this bike and I am using the same high temp aluminum colored paint.

IMG3260-L.jpg

Pretty much the same stuff I used on my CB360 motor - crap that you can buy at the auto parts store.

That stuff isn't to polish the cases, it just hides the staining of the alloy, though I don't know how durable the finish will be. Don't have a before and after comparison, but here's what it looks like after the first light 'coat'.

I also considered painting the cases, but decided against it in the end, as its bound to get stone chipped eventually, then it can look worse than leaving the cases unpainted.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 488
do you think that it will get rid of the patchy finish on the cases? what about the back of the motor that looks like it has battery acid spilled on it? How did you do between the fins?

how long did it take to do? did you do it by hand?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rub-n-Buff-Metallic-Wax-Finish-1-2-Ounce-Ruby/24626333?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=83&adid=22222222227031851617&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=61130956136&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=108538799336&veh=sem

Awesomeness!
My wife just found this shirt -

duc_detail_large.jpg

We have a 2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs, a 2007 Ducati 1098 and the Moto Guzzi 850T!

My fins are painted black so that wasn't an issue for me. The corroded part above the gearbox is normally covered by the battery tray, I made a billet tray for mine, but you could fit the original or make a simple plate as a cover.

I just used a rag and my finger, and sometimes a rag and thin piece of wood to get into the tricky to reach areas. Its a bit like toothpaste in consistency, its only a small tube, but a little goes a long way. You have the option of polishing the cases (which I guess is what its made for), but I just left it once dried.. it looks identical to the colour of the cases. Once its dry (which only takes a few minutes), you can add another 'coat' and another etc, until your happy with the result. In my case two coats were enough to hide 99% of the staining of the cases.

I found out about this stuff on here, there's a thread somewhere of using it on a Honda CB, and the owner saying its fantastic. I was sceptical, but I have to admit it does seem to work well.

What I don't know is how durable it will be, in rain etc. But then again it only took me half an hour to go over the whole engine, so if needed, I could always repeat the process every now and again. Over here the little tube cost about £5 which seems a lot of money for such a small amount, but its cheaper than paint if your happy with the results.

Bevelheadmhr said:
My fins are painted black so that wasn't an issue for me. The corroded part above the gearbox is normally covered by the battery tray, I made a billet tray for mine, but you could fit the original or make a simple plate as a cover.

I just used a rag and my finger, and sometimes a rag and thin piece of wood to get into the tricky to reach areas. Its a bit like toothpaste in consistency, its only a small tube, but a little goes a long way. You have the option of polishing the cases (which I guess is what its made for), but I just left it once dried.. it looks identical to the colour of the cases. Once its dry (which only takes a few minutes), you can add another 'coat' and another etc, until your happy with the result. In my case two coats were enough to hide 99% of the staining of the cases.

I found out about this stuff on here, there's a thread somewhere of using it on a Honda CB, and the owner saying its fantastic. I was sceptical, but I have to admit it does seem to work well.

What I don't know is how durable it will be, in rain etc. But then again it only took me half an hour to go over the whole engine, so if needed, I could always repeat the process every now and again. Over here the little tube cost about £5 which seems a lot of money for such a small amount, but its cheaper than paint if your happy with the results.

what do you think the surface finish of this motor is? (stole it from your build thread) is it paint? or is it the natural look of the aluminum? Vapor blasted?

index.php

Back
Top Bottom