www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 1981 Suzuki GS450L - Cruiser to Scrambler  (Read 20569 times)

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • If you know what you're doing, you're not learning
Re: 1981 Suzuki GS450L - Cruiser to Scrambler
« Reply #120 on: Sep 22, 2016, 20:13:46 »
Wanted to get these slightly fancier shots of the bike added to the thread for completeness.

It really is a fun bike on the gravel!  I think I will forever have a soft spot for air-cooled, light and simple 2 cylinder bikes.

_Northish

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #121 on: Sep 22, 2016, 20:32:45 »
Such a good looking bike, like it should've left the factory like it, if you get what I mean.

Offline djmaynard

« Reply #122 on: Sep 23, 2016, 07:15:31 »
Those were great shots! Beauty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #123 on: Oct 02, 2016, 22:05:52 »
Such a good looking bike, like it should've left the factory like it, if you get what I mean.
I definitely get what you mean!  I'm glad you think so as that was my hope for this bike.

Those were great shots! Beauty!

Thanks djmaynard!

And thanks to all who got out and voted for October's BOTM.  It's easy to do and can mean so much to the community.

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #124 on: Oct 03, 2016, 04:38:44 »
Congrats on your BOTM nomination - the win was a bonus I reckon  :D

Offline sacruickshank

« Reply #125 on: Dec 04, 2016, 19:08:38 »
Northish ... i"m sure this has already been said in the thread, but thank you for documenting this. I recently snagged an '83 GS450L and will borrow from your thread shamelessly as I bring this bike back to respectability. The PO painted the tank and fenders a decent white, but the engine is a sketchy mix of the original metal and inconsistent black spray with no masking.

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #126 on: Dec 05, 2016, 10:19:01 »
Northish ... i"m sure this has already been said in the thread, but thank you for documenting this. I recently snagged an '83 GS450L and will borrow from your thread shamelessly as I bring this bike back to respectability. The PO painted the tank and fenders a decent white, but the engine is a sketchy mix of the original metal and inconsistent black spray with no masking.

Hey sacruickshank - Glad you found the build info helpful; also glad to hear someone else is turning a GS450 into something they can be proud of!  No shame in not reinventing the wheel; I'm sure you'll be adding your own ideas and flair.  Let me know if something I did was unclear or lacking in detail and I'll try to add some detail.  Best of luck and have fun with it!

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #127 on: Feb 24, 2017, 12:36:52 »
While waiting patiently for warmer weather to reach the north, I've made a few more purchases to take care of a few things I wanted to do last year but ran out of time for.

First things are new fork springs and oil.  The front end was a bit soft and I was bottoming out on moderate bumps.  I went with 10W oil and set the level at 140 mm (from the top of the forks with springs out and forks compressed.) 

When I pulled the original springs out I was surprised to see that they already had a progressive wind to them, so maybe they were an aftermarket spring already?  The new Progressive springs I put in seemed to be made with thicker metal so I'm hoping they are firmer than what was in there.  I'll be curious to see.  I may need to do some work with the preload spacer and oil level depending on how they feel.  More to come on this once I can get out and ride.

I also got a Koso narrow-band A/F ratio meter that was on sale.  I'm hoping to use that to make sure my carb tuning is in fact good.  I'll be wiring that in at some point and welding in the sensor port.  I'll post an update once it's installed.

Offline ApriliaBill

• Yeah...I'm old school.
« Reply #128 on: Feb 24, 2017, 13:15:57 »
Wanted to get these slightly fancier shots of the bike added to the thread for completeness.

It really is a fun bike on the gravel!  I think I will forever have a soft spot for air-cooled, light and simple 2 cylinder bikes.

_Northish

You took a horrible looking bike (never a fan a the L models) and turned it into something anybody would be proud to own. Great job....
"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it."

Online locul

« Reply #129 on: Feb 24, 2017, 14:22:23 »
Nice work.