www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 1981 Suzuki GS450L - Cruiser to Scrambler  (Read 20425 times)

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • If you know what you're doing, you're not learning
Re: 1981 Suzuki GS450L - Cruiser to Scrambler
« Reply #140 on: Mar 24, 2017, 09:25:50 »
LOL is my sickness showing yet?    ::)

You sound about particular as I am so I appreciate the insight and experiences.  My bike ran fine enough once I had rebuilt, re-jetted, re-leveled, and synchronized everything but the engineer in me knows that it can probably tuned a little better yet. 

All the tuning I did last fall was qualitative  (plug color, sound, butt dyno) so it'll be good I think to have some quantitative info (A/F #'s) to tune a bit further with.

It's supposed to get up to 51F here tomorrow so maybe I can take a break from my house project to make sure my A/F unit is working properly.

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #141 on: Mar 29, 2017, 09:17:25 »
Finally got some time to tear down the carbs fully after finding that the bike wasn't running quite right after winter storage.

Found that one of the mixture o-rings had been smooshed and split into 3 pieces, probably my fault when I had replaced it last year.  So, more o-rings ordered from cycleorings.com.  I'm hoping that's the reason for it rev-hanging like crazy.

I had picked up an ultrasonic cleaner this winter, so at least I got a chance to use it again.  All the carb pieces got a bath in ChemDip and then 15 minutes in the ultrasonic spa.  The bath got pretty murky so it seemed to do a pretty good job.

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #142 on: Mar 30, 2017, 05:37:22 »
Wow, very nice.

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #143 on: May 02, 2017, 09:37:56 »
Was able to get out for the first decent ride of the year and really test the state of the carb tuning with the A/F meter.  Two big observations from a couple hours of riding - The carbs are a bit lean in the mid-range and a bit rich on full-throttle.  At cruising speed (~3.5k rpm) I'd see an A/F around 16.1 and temps would start to climb.  The lowest the Koso gauge will read is 12.2 and at full throttle the A/F was dipping below the minimum reading of the meter.

Regarding my worries about the O2 sensor placement being too far away from the exhaust ports was somewhat valid.  The sensor won't get hot enough to give a decent A/F reading until you're up and moving.  It doesn't look like it'll give me an idle measurement but I think I'll live.

So, I've got a little more tuning to do.  I'll have to see if I can slide another washer under the Jet Needle to richen out the mid range and then I may drop the Main Jet from 137.5 to 135.

Overall still really happy with the bike.  The fork rebuild with Progressive springs is really nice.  It wasn't bottoming out on big bumps like it had been prior.  Wasn't able to get out on the gravel back roads on this ride as was with a good friend on a CBR600rr and they said absolutely not!

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #144 on: May 02, 2017, 21:30:02 »

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #145 on: Jul 11, 2017, 13:33:19 »
Had a very cool experience with the bike this summer.  Decided to see what the Rockers Spring Social was about in Minneapolis.  I had heard about it from a co-worker who said it was a neat cafe style gathering, so rode the bike there. 

Wasn't planning on entering it into the show (I'm kind of shy), but the gate attendant said I really should give it a shot.  Well, turns out it got the most votes for "Best Japanese" bike so boy did I get caught off guard.   :o  They had me hop on the stage and say a few words about the bike.  There was some disbelief when I said it was my first bike and that all the paint came out of rattle cans in the backyard, so I guess that's about the best outcome I could have imagined for this little GS-L.  :P  The trophy was really unique... hand-made out of old bike parts.  It evens spins around on bearings.  Someone put some time into them.

A few pictures from the event to share.  You might be able to see a few subtle changes I've made since last posting that include new mirrors, footpegs, and I've got the A/F gauge mounted.

Cheers,
Northish

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #146 on: Jul 11, 2017, 14:05:50 »
Really cool bud.   8)

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #147 on: Jul 11, 2017, 14:06:48 »
Good on you for the win. One of may favorite bikes to come out of here lately as well. Cheers

Maritime
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rxp1476

« Reply #148 on: Aug 15, 2017, 21:44:26 »
I know this thread is a couple months old now but, Awsome build.
I started a simular conversion on a 1980 GS450.

Thanks for sharing

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #149 on: Aug 23, 2017, 10:00:00 »
I know this thread is a couple months old now but, Awsome build.
I started a simular conversion on a 1980 GS450.

Thanks for the kind words and glad to hear you're tackling the GS450.  Which version GS are you working on?