www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1981 Suzuki GS450L - Cruiser to Scrambler  (Read 19451 times)

Offline scramblerguy

Re: 1981 Suzuki GS450L - Cruiser to Scrambler
« Reply #150 on: Sep 02, 2017, 10:57:59 »
Thanks for sharing all your experience! I'm building a scrambler on a GS450S and I'm wondering how come you started with such big main jets as 145? My original main jets were 117,5 - that seems like a huge jump up to start with.
The current carb settings are:
Mixture screw - 2.75 turns out
Pilot jet - 22.5
Float height - 22.4 mm
Jet needle - plastic spacer removed, one 0.5 mm washer in its place
Main jet - 137.5

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • If you know what you're doing, you're not learning
« Reply #151 on: Sep 05, 2017, 11:18:38 »
Thanks for sharing all your experience! I'm building a scrambler on a GS450S and I'm wondering how come you started with such big main jets as 145? My original main jets were 117,5 - that seems like a huge jump up to start with.

Hey scramblerguy - glad you found my ramblings a bit helpful.  I started at 145 on the mains based on other builders' information they posted.  I was using K&N pods and a more free-flowing exhaust so figured I'd be pretty lean if I didn't make a big jump.  My stock main jet on my "L" model was 115 so it was a huge jump but after reading other ppl's experiences I decided to get some jets centered around the low 140's.  I've been pretty happy with the 137.5 so far with my intake and exhaust set up.  I see an A/F of around 11 to 13 when running on the mains.  Hope that helps.

Offline Riverduk

« Reply #152 on: Sep 10, 2017, 09:35:25 »
Hey Northish,

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your build, also very encouraged to have a go myself, I have a '88 GS 450 E, different tank / seat and side covers but basically the same bike. I have been trying to find something a little different to have a go at and have just started looking at scramblers when I found this blog. Congrats on your prize win at the bike show, well deserved, your bike has a very professional look to it so I can understand your pride in your first build. I also appreciate the amount of time you took to record, not only the build but also all of the additional info to help other builders on their journey to a successful build, cheers, Ross

Offline themountain

« Reply #153 on: Sep 11, 2017, 20:35:26 »
I really enjoyed reading your "ramblings" :D 
I will soon start a gs250 and I really hope the outcome will be half as good as yours!
Mayor kudos for your first build...its amazing!

Cheers from cold Lima/Peru
Andy

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • If you know what you're doing, you're not learning
« Reply #154 on: Sep 19, 2017, 17:51:48 »
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your build, also very encouraged to have a go myself, I have a '88 GS 450 E, different tank / seat and side covers but basically the same bike. I have been trying to find something a little different to have a go at and have just started looking at scramblers when I found this blog.

Riverduk - thanks for saying Hi!  Glad you found all the notes helpful; that was my hope.  Also glad to hear from another GS450 guy.  I hope your build goes well for you; riding the finished bike is great, but the build is the most memorable part.  Best of luck; hope to see your build on DTT!

I really enjoyed reading your "ramblings" :D 
I will soon start a gs250 and I really hope the outcome will be half as good as yours!
Mayor kudos for your first build...its amazing!

Cheers from cold Lima/Peru
Andy

Thanks man; glad to hear from someone all the way in Peru!  A GS250 has to be so light and nimble!  Let me know if you have questions on something; I'm no expert but I'd be happy to try to help.  Get that project rolling!
P.S. My name is Andy too