www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 1981 Suzuki GS450L - Cruiser to Scrambler  (Read 19468 times)

Offline YoungMoneyyy

Re: 1981 Suzuki GS450L - Cruiser to Scrambler
« Reply #20 on: Jun 03, 2016, 10:20:39 »
That is one beautiful looking bike, great lines with the tank reset and seat setup. strong work.

Offline MattL9

« Reply #21 on: Jun 03, 2016, 11:50:39 »
How did you level out the tank? I can see that you raised the front and lowered the back, but what did you do to do that?

Offline hillsy

« Reply #22 on: Jun 03, 2016, 19:42:05 »
How did you level out the tank? I can see that you raised the front and lowered the back, but what did you do to do that?

I think he's just raised the back - the front looks untouched.

Offline dualero

« Reply #23 on: Jun 04, 2016, 13:55:08 »

At this point the tank mounts have been modified/created and welded into place.  The front was dropped just over an inch and the rear was raised about as much. 

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • If you know what you're doing, you're not learning
« Reply #24 on: Jun 06, 2016, 10:22:34 »

Here's a better shot showing the new mounting locations with arrows where the old locations were.  The front mount was cut off and I made a new one with a piece of rod welded under the frame bar with a couple washers on it to hold the rubber bushings in place.  I reused the original rear mount, but cut it from its position between the frame rails and welded in bar stock on each side to stand it up.  Hope this helps answer your question.

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #25 on: Jun 06, 2016, 10:26:22 »
That is one beautiful looking bike, great lines with the tank reset and seat setup. strong work.
Thanks Young$, glad you think it's heading in the right direction!  Now to keep it going.  I hope to update on fender progress soon.

Offline YoungMoneyyy

« Reply #26 on: Jun 07, 2016, 00:32:11 »
Northish quick question about your tires, I read you went from the stock 16" & 19" setup to a 17" & 18" setup for the stance, which turned out great. I plan on doing something similar on my kz440, my question is did you need and modifications to the rims (looks like you used the stock ones) or were you able to simply swap the rubbers. Sorry if this seems like a basic question... just need to know before I bite the bullet and drop 200$ on new tires.

Sent from my SM-G928V using DO THE TON mobile app

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #27 on: Jun 07, 2016, 08:39:21 »
Northish quick question about your tires, I read you went from the stock 16" & 19" setup to a 17" & 18" setup for the stance, which turned out great. I plan on doing something similar on my kz440, my question is did you need and modifications to the rims (looks like you used the stock ones) or were you able to simply swap the rubbers...

Not a dumb question!  I spent a good month trying to figure out the wheel situation and was actually looking at KZ wheels at one point.  I ended up going with Suzuki wheels again as I knew that they would fit right in with no problems with the stock brakes and modifications.  Also, I kind of think they kind of have the approximate "look" of a spoked wheel.

Here are the specs of the stock wheels vs. the ones I'm using if interested:
Stock GS450L wheel sizes:
Rear:  16x2.15
Front:  19x1.85

Bought Wheels:
Rear:  17x2.15
Front:  18x1.80

I picked my tire sizes so that the front and rear would each have the same overall outer diameter as that symmetry is appealing to me.  The front overall diameter with an 18" rim and 4.10 tire is actually pretty close to the same as it came stock with a 19" rim and 3.6 tire, so I wouldn't have to modify the speedo if I didn't want to, but I will be :)  Hope this helps, ask more if needed.  I'm not an expert at all but I can tell you what I did.

Online Psycrow

« Reply #28 on: Jun 14, 2016, 11:19:52 »
Northish it might be helpful to state what bike (model and year) rims you ended up using. Nice build so far BTW.  I'm working on a similar conversion to a Yamaha XS 750 triple. 

Psy

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #29 on: Jun 14, 2016, 12:05:06 »
Hey Psy - thanks for the suggestion.  I'm not 100% sure what Suzuki bikes the wheels came from.  I bought each separately off eBay but the sellers didn't list the source.  From what I have found I believe that the front wheel (18x1.80) likely came from a '80-'82 GS-450E or S.  As for the rear (17x2.15) I'm still not quite sure what the source was.  I believe the GS550's had a 17x2.50.  Perhaps someone with a broader knowledge than I may have to chime in here, as I'd be interested as well  :)