Is my Rick's Regulator/Rectifier bad?

So i ran into a couple snags trying to directly connect my stator/alternator to the R/R. Both harness ends are male and there is a extra blue wire coming from the stator, connected to the oil pressure termination.

So i made a few female to female quick connect connectors to marry both stator/alternator and R/R. For now i can plug the blue (oil) wire into the sub harness by its self?

Anyway, wile i was waiting, I was curious to see if my stock regulator and rectifier would give me a different results after installing the Ricks unit. Come to find I have the exact same results with my stock R/R units. no further rise in voltage after I hit 12.8 volts @ 4000 RPM or higher. Idle is at 11.6. I also blew my main 15A fuse while testing this out yesterday.

Which leads me to believe I may be dealing with another whole issues, a short somewhere. But I could be wrong. Should I continue to marry the stator/alternator or hunt a short down?

attached pictures of my alternator/stator harness.

Attachments

• IMG_0859.JPG
    IMG_0859.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0858.JPG
    IMG_0858.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0857.JPG
    IMG_0857.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 235
The oil pressure wire coming from the stator area can plug into the blue/red wire in the harness.

Try wiring things like I did in my earlier post.

Update:

I tried the wiring exactly from the diagram you had on this thread, still the same issue of not reaching over 12.8 at 4000 RPM. Do you think there could be a short somewhere? I also cleaned and sanded down any trace of corrosion from the negative cable and the area grounded to the bike.

This latest test was done with the "new" ricks R/R. Please let me know your thoughts, I feel like I'm chasing a ghost at this point!

This thread really helped me with my Honda SOHC rectifier/regulator that i ordered elcheapo from ebay, from some manufacturer/seller from China.
My thanks goes especially to SONREIR.

The wiring colors from the R/R i ordered are correct for a SOHC, but inside it is a for DOHC!!

To make it work for a SOHC do the following:

I noticed that 3x yellow, red and green are the same, so that rectifier connector is the same an can be used.
The unit rectifies when you leave the old regulator do its work and don't connect the black en white wire from the new R/R.
To make the Rectifier do its regulating work do the following:

Connect black from the new R/R to black AND white on the old regulator wires.
Connect white from the new R/R to green on the regulator connector. It is important to connect it to the green wire on the big connector (straight out of the engine, from to the field coil), because, on that point the green wire from the field coil is not to ground.

Hope i can help someone with this.

Marinus.

Back
Top Bottom