A-65 DeadTail Restart

deviant said:
I also agree. Small honda XL headlight or from an earlier dual sport.

Thats what I thought, but I opened it to see and it has a Kawasaki sticker init.

It's just tied up Adco.

Miff I hear ya, I need to get it mocked up and done for paint, I did see the Smith speedo and it's correct along with the HL, we cant run yellow not sure on the laws for speedo

Working through and shit changes :-[

I want these pegs so I need to reach over to the the shifter this creates a linkage system so the fab begins again... already screwed me on the brake (lefty controls) switching between tigin and migin :eek: still workin the throw out and clearances around the wicked kicker that I need to reshape some because it sticks out from all the Lightning body and crap 8)

Attachments

• shift4.jpg
    shift4.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 317
  • shift.jpg
    shift.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 318
  • shift3.jpg
    shift3.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 316
  • shift2.jpg
    shift2.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 312
Tune, would moving the pegs forward a little work with the ergonomics? That might give you a little more room to work with. An other possibility is to use the old rear set style with the gear shifter looping over the kickstarter.

teazer said:
Tune, would moving the pegs forward a little work with the ergonomics? That might give you a little more room to work with. An other possibility is to use the old rear set style with the gear shifter looping over the kickstarter.

I could use the stock bracket as a mount and do some creative adaption to the pegs but the kicker is in the path if I go up over... I don't want forward controls and this position is very comfortable, had lots of riders test it and the target buyer is short... he loves the bike and he's a pro rider so good exposure lol

I will end up with something like this but still working on clearance at the kicker may be that I drop the shift pivot a tad more and the peg a 1/2 in or so to follow with a narrower bolt on heim joint then shave the nut/bolts and tack weld to look like a factory pressed in pin.

Brain banging shit for a simple thing

Flip ups mang!
5925e13c931bd251fe77088173b08a5d.jpg

c2d0384bc4f7c64fc581425e07a3f635.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I completely forgot that Brit bikes tend to use the cotter pin like and old bicycle pedal crank. I was going to suggest adapting a folding kickstart lever and heat and bend it for more clearance. You could probably weld and machine the lower part of that lever to take a folding kicker off another bike but that's going to be a 5 minute job.

OK so another off the wall idea. Take the linkage up and across the frame for left foot shifting and just have a brake lever on that side. That would be even more work and maybe a brake lever would take up the same space as the shifter.

OK. last idea. How about moving the pegs back just a couple of inches and revers the shifter (and shorten it). No linkage but the kicker will probably still hit. Damn. Now you know why my latest project has a cover over the kickstarter shaft ;-) Not an option on that bike though.

Looks like a folding kicker might be in that bike's future. this one is a touch pricey http://www.motorcyclealley.co.nz/buy/item/175651/57-4941-kickstart-lever-assembly-t160/

I have some GT750 kickstart levers you are welcome to have if you could modify the stock clamp to fit it. They look like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/72-SUZUKI-GT750-GT-750-WATER-BUFFALO-OEM-KICKSTART-LEVER-KICK-START-PEDAL-/231753931866?hash=item35f59c5c5a:g:1g8AAOSwsFpWSKFx&vxp=mtr

teazer said:
I completely forgot that Brit bikes tend to use the cotter pin like and old bicycle pedal crank. I was going to suggest adapting a folding kickstart lever and heat and bend it for more clearance. You could probably weld and machine the lower part of that lever to take a folding kicker off another bike but that's going to be a 5 minute job.

OK so another off the wall idea. Take the linkage up and across the frame for left foot shifting and just have a brake lever on that side. That would be even more work and maybe a brake lever would take up the same space as the shifter.

OK. last idea. How about moving the pegs back just a couple of inches and revers the shifter (and shorten it). No linkage but the kicker will probably still hit. Damn. Now you know why my latest project has a cover over the kickstarter shaft ;-) Not an option on that bike though.

Looks like a folding kicker might be in that bike's future. this one is a touch pricey http://www.motorcyclealley.co.nz/buy/item/175651/57-4941-kickstart-lever-assembly-t160/

I have some GT750 kickstart levers you are welcome to have if you could modify the stock clamp to fit it. They look like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/72-SUZUKI-GT750-GT-750-WATER-BUFFALO-OEM-KICKSTART-LEVER-KICK-START-PEDAL-/231753931866?hash=item35f59c5c5a:g:1g8AAOSwsFpWSKFx&vxp=mtr

FLODING Kicker!!! You duh man Teaser! I have the CB one and a KZ one to try! I would build the shift/brake swap kit but want to keep the bike as period BSA in the mechanics as I can, gotta keep some of these things around so we don't forget how when we ride a friends lefty ya know :p

miffa said:
they sell them off the shelf ,if your struggling

http://britishbikebits.com/folding-trials-kickstart-assembly-bsa-b25-b44-b50-a50-a65#.V9grLFQrJ9M

if this brit dont frustrate you to much,you might do another ,just for reference EI boyer mk5 or above are the best only because they will still start the bike down as low as 6v battery charge,most of the others only go as low as about 10v

cant wait till you try dialing in twin monoblocs thats a real head masher ,it will be worth it in the end

heard somewhere they make bikes with left gear shifter ...crazy...that will never catch on.... ;D

Looks like the XL kicker is the donor, not struggling mang ::) I love it just like to bounce shit to get good ideas

VonYinzer said:
For what it's worth... There's an old Honda. Something small. I can't remember the exact model, but they ran an internal throttle. You can pick the parts up cheap. Cannot for the life of me remember which model though.
My CD 175 runs an internal throttle, I think a lot of the early 70's small Hondas did.

Erskine said:
My CD 175 runs an internal throttle, I think a lot of the early 70's small Hondas did.

Yeah... I'm debating pillaging that era for an internal set-up for the XS chop when I have time to get started on it.

VonYinzer said:
Yeah... I'm debating pillaging that era for an internal set-up for the XS chop when I have time to get started on it.

I am wondering really searching for the ID/OD of those bars thin wall 7/8" the throttle could be too fat

Theres a ton of info on making your own internal throttle........even easier if you have access to lathe or mill
A lot of that early small honda internal stuff is really cheap and don't know if it would have the strength to open a set of Mikuni's

The fat bars are thick and I dont see an internal throttle working, to change bars a no go I have a custom tripple for those bars on there

sorry Tune, it wasn't meant for you since you already stated you wont be running an internal.....it was for the other dudes talking about it

Back
Top Bottom