www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 1968 CL175 repair and build  (Read 9279 times)

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: 1968 CL175 repair and build
« Reply #120 on: Aug 16, 2017, 12:06:48 »
Looks fine, but the mention of tight valves is not so good.  Get a new set of valve covers and then get those off anyway you need to and set the tappets. 

If you look carefully at the last picture, the left cylinder is on overlap and both valves are slightly open.  On th right side, the motor would be firing and both valves should be shut tight.  I suspect that valve seats may also be a touch rusty from being permanently open, so if it were mine I would pop the head off and remove and clean the valves and seats.  You have to loosen the valve screws (tappets) to do that so go ahead and get those covers off.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #121 on: Dec 12, 2017, 00:40:10 »
Over a year later! I finally broke down after putting this thing back together over and over and took it to a local shop. They checked my work and told me I'd assembled everything correctly, but the cylinders and pistons had way too much clearance. They're suggesting I pick up some 50 over pistons and have the cylinders bored/honed to match. I'm fine with that since everything else is good.

Will CB175 pistons work? Any good sources other than ebay? I'm looking to just grab the pistons, rings, pins, and clips at once if I can.

Sent from my SM-G935P using DO THE TON mobile app

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #122 on: Dec 12, 2017, 01:43:55 »
Well, that's a classic good news-bad news story.  Yes CB175 pistons will work.  I used to get all mine off ebay.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #123 on: Dec 12, 2017, 03:15:27 »
Sweet! Looks like I'll be ordering a little set that comes with rings and pins and clips.
Also Teazer you're rad dude, thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G935P using DO THE TON mobile app