DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
My first paying client - Charlie S, Austin, TX

1975 Norton Commando 850 MkIII custom cafe racer
(from donor original Norton High Rider)

Clubman racing seat, fairing & rearset controls
Thomaselli clip-on handlebars
Colorado Norton Works / Brembo full floating front brake kit
T.A.Baker alloy fuel tank (not as pictured with temporary steel tank)
Front fork brace
Sparx electronic ignition & regulator/rectifier
Barnett clutch plates

BEFORE
412797166.jpg

DURING
410181394.jpg

AFTER
379197827.jpg

Client restoration of a 1967 Norton N15C 750 Hybrid

This is one of several different variants of the Norton 750 Hybrids in AMC frames that were cross-badged as Norton, AJS, and Matchless. While it is similar to the P11 / Ranger due to the custom-built upswept scramber pipes, and similar paint job, it is actually MORE similar to the Matchless G15CS because of the frame, battery box and oil tank (that's why the pipes had to be custom made).

It has a set of custom made alloy engine mounting plates with primary chain adjusters on both sides, with snail type adjusters. The only other non-standard parts are the shouldered alloy wheels, finned rocker covers, and air filter pods.

BEFORE

308406467.jpg

AFTER

406849866.jpg

Original N15, for comparison; basically, the only difference is the downswept pipes.

375076700.jpg

1975 Norton Commando 850 MkIII client resto/mod

Client wanted a complete engine overhaul, Megacycle cam upgrade, Sparx electronic ignition, rearset pegs & clip-on handlebars, one of my monoshock swingarm conversions, alloy wheels, small tail light, and a modern front end (used a Suzuki TL1000 front end); but, he wanted to retain his original Fireflake Blue paint, and provided the 2-into-1 header and seat for me to install. He lives near the Willow Springs track in California, and takes it out to regular track days; he reported that it handles real nice and pulls like a freight train.

BEFORE

375456990.jpg

AFTER

385841725.jpg

385841723.jpg

It all started when I saw this on the internet-

332254382.jpg

It was Kenny Dreer's non-running prototype 952 with monoshock rear end, that he showed for the first time in New York at the announcement of the New Norton (America).

I knew IMMEDIATELY I HAD to have one. I called VR and talked to a guy, I asked if I could buy one now, then buy one of the new engines when they were done? He replied they were going to be totally different, unit construction, etc.

Anyway, time went by and history happened. In the meantime, I spoke to Kenny on and off over the years, and we did some dealing in VR parts. After he closed the sale of Norton America, he offered me some of the original prototype parts and we made the deal.

This is what I consider to be one of my top three builds in 45+ years - 1975 Norton Commando 850 / original Norton America monoshock

376452458.jpg

Original parts from the prototype bike include the bodywork, monoshock swingarm, "tight tuck" pipes, and carbon fiber primary cases (not installed).

Specifications & features include:

Norton 850 Commando Mark III e-start engine, vertical air-cooled OHV pushrod twin, dry sump
Norton 850 Commando Mark III frame, modified for upper monoshock mounting location
Kenny Dreer Norton America Custom fabricated monoshock swingarm with “big bearing” conversion
Isolastic eng/trans mounting subframe, modified for e-start and "big bearing" swingarm bearings
Kawasaki 636 Fork yokes, stem turned to fit OEM Norton steering bearings
Mark III vernier isolastic mount system with Dace Taylor top steady & Windy Eads front steady
Excel rims (2.5” F, 3.5” R) laced with Stainless Steel spokes & nipples by Buchanan’s
Custom built one-piece rear axle & spacers for OEM Norton Mark III rear hub
Kawasaki 636 front axle with custom built bearings by Buffalo Bearings
Dreer VR880 dual disc front hub & rotor spacers, with custom built axle spacers
Metzeler Lasertech tires: 100/90x19 Front, 120/80x18 Rear
Front forks: Showa 41mm fully adjustable (compression, rebound & damping) inverted forks
Rear Shock: KYB fully adjustable, gas charged reservoir rear monoshock
Front Brakes: Dual 4-pot Tokiko calipers, 298mm Brembo full-floating rotors, Nissin master cyl.
Rear Brakes: 2-pot Nissin caliper, lightened & drilled Norton 280mm rotor, Nissin master cyl.
Dreer VR880 matched seat/tail, fuel cell, sidecovers and front fender; in Blue with Red & White pinstriping
Dreer ONE-OFF “tuck in” exhaust headers w/ peashooter reverse cone megaphone mufflers
RK 520 chain, Drag Specialties Aero 95mm gas cap assembly, CRG bar-end mirrors
Kawasaki 636 push-pull throttle & clutch lever assembly, Doherty HD cables
Clubman rearset footpegs
Sparx 12 volt, 230 watt, 3-phase alternator, Sparx 3-phase regulator/rectifier, H4 halogen headlight
Sparx magnetic trigger electronic ignition, Blue Streak dual-lead 4 ohm, 12 volt ignition coil
Kawasaki 636 handlebar mounted lighting & accessory control switches (2005 spec)
Born Again Bikes hand-wired electrical harness system
AGM heavy duty battery, Barrel-type security keyswitch

Performance Specifications
10.25:1 Compression Ratio
Approximately 65 Rear Wheel Horsepower @ 6,500 RPM
Approximately 56 lb/ft Maximum torque @ 6,500 RPM
Maximum engine RPM – 7,000
Balance Factor – 63% (wet)
0 – 60 MPH – 3 seconds
0 – 100 MPH – 10 seconds
¼ mile Elapsed Time – 11.5 seconds @ 120 MPH
Top Speed – 137 MPH

Physical Specifications
Dry weight – 375 lbs
Wheelbase – 56”
Seat height – 32”
Overall length – 84”
Overall height @ top of meters – 42”
Overall width @ handlebar tips – 27”
Ground clearance – 5-1/2”

1972 Norton Combat Commando 750 Roadster project

I bought this unfinished rolling project from a friend, Ed, in 2008, along with a bunch of spare parts and 2-1/2 BSAs. Leo Goff (Memphis Mortorwerks) had already overhauled and tricked out the engine, and it was set loosely in the semi-rolling chassis.

410880036.jpg

I mocked up a set of bodywork that Ed included, but the Corbin seat was too hard, and the Red paint just didn't "do it" for me...

308408500.jpg

The Norvil 13" full floating brake with Lockheed AP 3-fin racing caliper is very trick, about as good as it gets.

309525443.jpg

In one of the boxes of spares, I found a rare ARD micro electronic magneto and small dual-lead coil, which I installed. The magneto is unbelievably easy to set and uses no battery power; the primary pulse is generated within a tiny coil in the lump that mounts to the timing chest. Extremely easy to set up, just rotate the engine to till the timing marks align on the alternator rotor, then set the mag lump in place with the setting pin installed, tighten down the rotor and stator, and pull out the pin. Done.

309525447.jpg

I already had a Dunstall nice bikini fairing, and Ed included a big ol' Gus Kuhn (Reg Curley?) long range GP tank. It was so hideous that I just had to use it, along with the equally ugly Dunstall seat/tail. "It's an acquired taste". I had my painter do them all up in Glossy black, but I was as yet unaware that the sidecover decals do NOT align with the top edge of the sidecovers! Lesson learned.

While the body parts were still being prepped and painted, I did one more mock-up, this time with a tiny Norton High Rider tank and Corbin bricklayer seat; most people say I should have left it like that...

311891629.jpg

Anyway, I wanted to go more retro, and did.

312321129.jpg

312321128.jpg

The modified and "fixed" Combat engine is EVERYTHING a proper Combat should be! It will straighten your arms and push your eyeballs back in their sockets with a handful of throttle. If it weren't for the clip-on handlebars and resultant weight-forward attitude, it would wheelie way too easily on launch. It is geared to do 130, and WILL do so withe the Megacycle cam and Leo Goff porting job. It's got a Sparx 3-phase alternator with solid state regulator/rectifier. The final touch is a set of brand new original Amal 932 carbs with a dual-neck K&N air filter.

This bike is still in my collection, but is among the complete runners that doesn't get ridden enough to justify keeping it these days. So, it's for sale...

Back
Top Bottom