www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Sketchy turbo hardtail XS  (Read 3300 times)

Offline rusche

Re: Sketchy turbo hardtail XS
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2016, 20:46:07 »
This is why I wanted a narrower tank

Online stroker crazy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • crazy as a fox
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2016, 21:28:18 »
This is why I wanted a narrower tank

Now you're talking!

Crazy
“Ride like the Wind” W.H.

Offline jimmer

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2016, 21:34:00 »
Wait, what? Blowing through VM carbs? Stronger return springs may help from letting the slides stick. Pitot tube? Rising rate regulator with return line?
Yamaha Blaster Bike                                                                  Suzuki T500 Titan Twingle

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2016, 22:11:44 »
cool i hope we can see it melt rear tars
blowing thru the carb is best accomplished with carb mounted in a box the entire box on the blown
or at least have the float bowls 100% vented to the blow only no atmosheric pressure venting,its to low to overcome boosted venutri pressure drops ,you wont get any fuel through any jets otherwise when on boost
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2016, 22:14:27 by xb33bsa »

Offline rusche

« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2016, 02:53:09 »
Wait, what? Blowing through VM carbs? Stronger return springs may help from letting the slides stick. Pitot tube? Rising rate regulator with return line?

Im not sure about heavier springs yet, I'm planning for low boost.  Right now Im thinking log style manifold behind frame rail w/ pitot tube
I've located a simple boost referenced regulator
Need to find fuel pump, and pressure rated needle/seats for the VM34s

This whole this is an experiment, any input is appreciated.

Offline der_nanno

• Faster!
    • Greasy Greg
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2016, 04:22:05 »
Hi Rusche,

having built something similar myself (Yamaha TR1 with a draw-through setup, currently rebuilding because of a turbo failure), if you want to go blow through, go back to the stock carbs or other CV carbs, VMs will give you a very, very hard time as the roundslides will become sticky under boost and are prone to boost leaks. With a parallel twin like this, you'll need a plenum at least twice the cylinder volume to smooth out pulses. Regarding the pitot tube, if I were you, I'd put it into the inlet of the plenum as that will match the actual boost level quite closely. A fuel pump from an old bigger car (plenty of that in the US of A) should serve you nicely. I'll use one from a BMW 525i, but that's because those are plentyful where I come from in merry ol' Europe. You'll also need a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and that's the only part, where I suggest to avoid skipdiving and get a proper Malpassi. Over-/underfueling under boost is one of those issues, which drive you nuts when setting the bike up and are extremely hard to trace back.

With a bit of luck you'll soon here something like this:

There's more on it on my blog. (Guess it's a bit late to open my own build thread on this on here, right? Might just do it for the blow-through-rebuild)

Oh and a bit more of the bike can be seen in this vid (actually pretty much the last vid, before it lunched the Chinese turbo...)

Cheers,
Greg

Real freedom starts with the freedom of thought.

My Blog:
http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at

My Turbo TR1.1 (XV1000) build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=72571

My XS Triple Sidecar build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=74211

Offline Cookie

• God help the child who grows out of everything
« Reply #26 on: Dec 01, 2016, 07:50:12 »
It's never too late to open a build thread, Greg! I think most anyone on here would be interested to read about that sweetness you have there.
There have been a few awesome build threads started after the build
* Insert something witty here *

81 CB750C
84 Tempter - well, most of it...

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:06:20 »

There's more on it on my blog. (Guess it's a bit late to open my own build thread on this on here, right? Might just do it for the blow-through-rebuild)

Please do, Greg.  It's something I aspire to do with a GL motor.  This is all very cool stuff you guys are doing. 

Offline der_nanno

• Faster!
    • Greasy Greg
« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 2016, 11:34:42 »
Alright, alright. Doesn't take much to convince me. ;D It'll be a few days, as I am a bit busy at the moment.
Real freedom starts with the freedom of thought.

My Blog:
http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at

My Turbo TR1.1 (XV1000) build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=72571

My XS Triple Sidecar build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=74211

Offline rusche

« Reply #29 on: Dec 01, 2016, 19:19:17 »
What do you think caused the turbo failure, and what turbo were you using?
I was under the impression that CV carbs didnt respond well to turbos do to the slide being blown open
Unfortunately, I purchased the bike without carbs. Those VM34s were brand new and cost me about $200. So Im going to try them lol
I was under the impression that round slides were prefered. I dont plan on running real high boost