Sketchy turbo hardtail XS

rusche said:
One thing I also hadnt taken into consideration, is the heat offput by the turbo, right there by the tank...

Heat shield. They don't have to be ugly!

rusche said:
Great information, I appreciate the input.

I appreciate photos of nice chops with turbos. ;)

[quote author=rusche]
Whats your opinion on the Mikunis? Ive heard a handful of reasons to go either way
Unforunately, those carbs werent super cheap, and theyre here and brand new lol
I understand there are benefits to CV carbs, but do you think it will cause large driveability concerns?[/quote]

I do like the VM34s, I run VM38s on my n/a TR1.1 with great success and really love them. Quite frankly, I think they are the best roundslide carbs you can buy for road use. Of course you can try to make them work with a turbo, but CV carbs are operated indirectly and are therefore a bit more forgiving in respect to minor jetting issues. All in all I wouldn't say you can't make them work, I just think it will be A LOT harder to make them perform sensibly.

[quote author=rusche]
I think Im going to follow the backbone of the frame with charge pipe to the turbo
I had to clock the turbo in order to fit where I want, and removed the internal wastegate I've been looking at external wastegates, but they are all huge. I know there are benefits to large wastegates, but I want to try to keep the front of the bike clean..
[/quote]

Well, I'd reconsider the clocking then and use the internal wastegate they generally work quite nicely and it's a lot less plumbing to do. Regarding your heat-concerns underneath the fuel tank. Remember there's a motor under there as well and that's not exactly cold either. Intercoolers make boost a lot more manageable, depending on the level of boost you want to go for you may be able to skip around it though. Your heat concerns regarding the turbo are real though... the exhaust housing will glow cherry red after a proper full throttle run.

Should you really decide to go for an external wastegate, would you care and shoot me a PM regarding your stock wastegate actuator and rod? (My GT1544 is from a small diesel car and needs a different wastegate actuator anyway...)

Cheers,
Greg

Not alot of progress on this build in the last few months
However going to pick up a parts bike this afternoon, complete no title $400. Just what I need

I am considering revisiting the draw through idea. swansamaa seems to be happy with ther performance on his CB550.
I originally shyed away from the draw through idea because of concerns for poor throttle response and drivability
However at the end of the day Im not looking for maximum performance/race bike, and a draw through single carb would give me the option of the clean install like I originally pictured in my head when I decided to build this bike.
Does anybody know where I could source carbon seals for the GT15 if I decided to go that route?

I haven't found anywhere, where you can get Carbon Seals for a GT15 (and I looked very, very hard), but I'd give the guys from GPopShop a shout and see if they know something us mere mortals don't.

You can get away (to a certain degree) with running a positive seal turbo in a draw-through applications, but it will wear out the shaft and will always be a bit smokey. (It's definitely not the right way to do it.)

Cheers,
Greg

Well the weather got nice, and this project sat in the corner all summer while I rode my others.
I acquired an ST1100, and an FZ09 this spring, and spent all summer ridding the piss out of both.
19990114_10154867033797689_5918466249749805048_n.jpg

22008236_10155086630747689_3355287753887151477_n.jpg

Once again were getting to the time of year where I'll spend more time in the garage than on the road, so I dug this lump out and started playing again, once again completely changing my mind on everything in the build.

Welded up some half ass exhaust. Not sold on it. But it should work for the time being. The carb (draw through) is a 38mm CV Harley.

dgpe0w.jpg

jilx7l.jpg

Built a prototype intake manifold. Waiting for a silicone boost hose to connect the turbo to intake. Got exhaust wrapped up.
One thing at a time

1zewfhw.jpg

Finished the exhaust. Wrapped some shit. Found a silicone hose for the intake.
One thing at a time

rlj21z.jpg

Im considering building a heat shield underneath the seat.
There is a fair amount of room with feet on the pegs in the riding position though.
I guess well find out :eek:

The Limey said:
Won't your love plums get rather toasty with a red hot blower underneath them?

I have one next to my knee (less than two inches) and at the traffic lights or slow walking pace it's a bit unpleasant but as soon as you're doing 20mph or so, it's hardly noticeable.

Ditched the traditional seat springs for now. Experimenting with this mountain bike shock. Much firmer, pretty solid overall. I think the look is cleaner. I think I'll be keeping this for now

1znx4lt.jpg

I like that! Definitely time to invest in a heat shield though. Especially with the shock in such close proximity to the turbo

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using DO THE TON mobile app

Mounted a brake light w/ some random scrap. Think Im going to tuck it in a little closer

23915609_10155244819562689_2225112667290207410_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom