79 750f dohc charging problems (what else can i do when its all new)

tccook

okay so I just got my bike running replaced stator tested all three yellows 0.9 ohm out each wire, got a new rotor 5.5 ohm on the slip rings new brushes and a new reg/rec. I replaced all them because I didn't want to have charging issues (que irony) with my new anti-gravity battery, I have read every right up tested every test I can think of and still nothing I don't mind retesting, the bike is all apart and waiting for suggestions!! please help anyone.

Attachments

• IMG_3592.JPG
    IMG_3592.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 231
Hi tccook. While I'm not familiar with your bike in particular. Is the battery earth and the engine earth on a common point? The freshly painted frame can insulate the engine from the frame. Check the output of your alternator using a multimeter between the engine and each yellow output wire. That will give you an idea if the alternator is charging. Then check between your battery earth and the yellow wires to see if you get the same reading. Hope that helps till the experts arrive. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using DO THE TON mobile app

if your reg rec is after market a lot of them ground thru the frame so run a jumper wire from teh negative post on the battery

directly to the body of the regulator and see if that works if so you will have to clean some paint off or run a ground wire to a bolt

to ensure proper .ground

cxman said:
if your reg rec is after market a lot of them ground thru the frame so run a jumper wire from teh negative post on the battery

directly to the body of the regulator and see if that works if so you will have to clean some paint off or run a ground wire to a bolt

to ensure proper .ground

Thanks I will give it a try and report back .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There have been a lot of problems with the R/Rs coming out of China this past year or two. Just because the part is new, don't assume it's working. If you want the test procedures, let me know.

Sonreir said:
There have been a lot of problems with the R/Rs coming out of China this past year or two. Just because the part is new, don't assume it's working. If you want the test procedures, let me know.

Yes please

Make sure your battery is still good and holding a charge, I know some types of batteries do not take kindly to being discharged.

OK... so the DOHC R/R differs from the SOHC R/R in that instead of increasing or decreasing the voltage output of the R/R in order to modulate the field coil, the DOHC R/R varies the resistance on the return circuit. Ohms Law means that an increase in resistance causes a drop in current, so as the resistance increases, the field coil gets weaker. The increase in resistance is something we can measure with a multimeter.

Before we get to that point, there are a couple of other, easier, tests we can do.

First up, unplug the black wire that leads from the R/R to the alternator and then turn on the bike and flip your kill switch to off.. Using your multimeter, check DC voltage between this wire and the negative terminal of the battery. You should have about 12.5V if everything is working correctly. Plus or minus a few tenths is nothing to worry about. If you're getting no voltage or anything under 10V, stop and we'll take a look at this problem.

That first test is to ensure that voltage is actually getting to the alternator. No power to the field coil means no power out of the alternator.

Next, we'll repeat the test, but plug the black wire back into the alternator and unplug the white wire. Measure voltage between the white wire coming from the alternator and the negative terminal of the battery. Voltage should be pretty close to, but possibly a bit lower than, your first measurement.

This checks to see if we have power flowing through the field coil.

If both of those tests check out, we'll want to remove the R/R from the bike and perform the next text on the bench. This isn't a super-simple test, but it gets the job done. I use an adjustable power supply for this test, but if you don't have one you can still get something together. If you don't mind spend the $$$, they're not very expensive and they're pretty useful for all sorts of things (including for use as a battery charger). Details here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251705177148

Anyway... Assuming you're not using a power supply, you'll need a spare 12V battery (any 12V healthy battery will work). And a few spare household batteries (AA, C, D, etc). You may also need an extra set of hands. Alternatively, you can use a trickle charger that puts out more than 14V.

Hook up the 12V battery, along with two of the household batteries (it's OK to mix and match types) in a series circuit. That is, positive terminal on one battery to negative terminal on the next battery, and so on. Form a line until you have three batteries all in a line and connected. Because we're wiring the batteries in series, this will increase the voltage when measured between the positive terminal of the last battery in the line and the negative terminal of the first battery in the line. DO NOT connect the first battery to the last battery. This will likely cause things to get very hot very quickly and possibly start a fire.

Now that you have your batteries set up, use your multimeter to measure the voltage between the positive and negative terminals of your battery line. You should have pretty close to 15V, hopefully a bit over. Next, connect the red and the black wire (the two in the same connector) to the positive end of your battery setup and then connect the green wire to the negative end of the battery setup. Switch your multimeter over to read resistance and measure the value between the other black wire and your white wire. You should get a value over 100 Ohms (the value will vary based upon a number of factors, so you're really just looking for a reading that's fairly high).

Assuming that looks good, remove the extra household batteries for your setup and repeat the test using only the 12V battery. The Ohm reading between the white and the black wire should now be fairly low; close to zero.

How's that looking on your side of things?

Sonreir said:
OK... so the DOHC R/R differs from the SOHC R/R in that instead of increasing or decreasing the voltage output of the R/R in order to modulate the field coil, the DOHC R/R varies the resistance on the return circuit. Ohms Law means that an increase in resistance causes a drop in current, so as the resistance increases, the field coil gets weaker. The increase in resistance is something we can measure with a multimeter.

Before we get to that point, there are a couple of other, easier, tests we can do.

First up, unplug the black wire that leads from the R/R to the alternator and then turn on the bike and flip your kill switch to off.. Using your multimeter, check DC voltage between this wire and the negative terminal of the battery. You should have about 12.5V if everything is working correctly. Plus or minus a few tenths is nothing to worry about. If you're getting no voltage or anything under 10V, stop and we'll take a look at this problem.

That first test is to ensure that voltage is actually getting to the alternator. No power to the field coil means no power out of the alternator.

Next, we'll repeat the test, but plug the black wire back into the alternator and unplug the white wire. Measure voltage between the white wire coming from the alternator and the negative terminal of the battery. Voltage should be pretty close to, but possibly a bit lower than, your first measurement.

This checks to see if we have power flowing through the field coil.

If both of those tests check out, we'll want to remove the R/R from the bike and perform the next text on the bench. This isn't a super-simple test, but it gets the job done. I use an adjustable power supply for this test, but if you don't have one you can still get something together. If you don't mind spend the $$$, they're not very expensive and they're pretty useful for all sorts of things (including for use as a battery charger). Details here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251705177148

Anyway... Assuming you're not using a power supply, you'll need a spare 12V battery (any 12V healthy battery will work). And a few spare household batteries (AA, C, D, etc). You may also need an extra set of hands. Alternatively, you can use a trickle charger that puts out more than 14V.

Hook up the 12V battery, along with two of the household batteries (it's OK to mix and match types) in a series circuit. That is, positive terminal on one battery to negative terminal on the next battery, and so on. Form a line until you have three batteries all in a line and connected. Because we're wiring the batteries in series, this will increase the voltage when measured between the positive terminal of the last battery in the line and the negative terminal of the first battery in the line. DO NOT connect the first battery to the last battery. This will likely cause things to get very hot very quickly and possibly start a fire.

Now that you have your batteries set up, use your multimeter to measure the voltage between the positive and negative terminals of your battery line. You should have pretty close to 15V, hopefully a bit over. Next, connect the red and the black wire (the two in the same connector) to the positive end of your battery setup and then connect the green wire to the negative end of the battery setup. Switch your multimeter over to read resistance and measure the value between the other black wire and your white wire. You should get a value over 100 Ohms (the value will vary based upon a number of factors, so you're really just looking for a reading that's fairly high).

Assuming that looks good, remove the extra household batteries for your setup and repeat the test using only the 12V battery. The Ohm reading between the white and the black wire should now be fairly low; close to zero.

How's that looking on your side of things?

okay I have a power supply like the one on Ebay I have for afx cars when I get home after work I will try these tests along with everyone else's suggestions. thank you

Cool. You can skip the battery nonsense then. Just adjust the voltage and check readings.
You should get next to no resistance on the white wire when the voltage is in the 12V range. As voltage increases, so should resistance.

Sonreir said:
Cool. You can skip the battery nonsense then. Just adjust the voltage and check readings.
You should get next to no resistance on the white wire when the voltage is in the 12V range. As voltage increases, so should resistance.

Okay here are my findings out the black wire on r/r with key on is 12.89 volts and out the white wire of alternator is 12.81 volts. So battery is good and power to field coil is good. Now bench testing r/r using pyramid regulated power supply at 12v OL on testing for resistance out black and white wires at 15.5v still OL on meter I then bench tested 1 other new r/r same results And the original off of bike with the same results. So I'm guessing r/r is bad ?

Sonreir said:
For the bench test, you'll want to be measuring in Ohms, not Volts.

That was ohms. The volts I described was just for reference as I increased volts from 12 up to 15 I had no change in ohm readings out black and white wire. The meter just read OL

Something might be hooked up incorrectly? It shouldn't be possible to get a voltage reading if the Ohhmeter is reading Open Loop.

Alternator hookup should be like so (from alternator to R/R):
Yellow x3 to Yellow x3
White to White
Black to Black

If it's not setup this way already, try running directly from the alternator to the R/R and don't pass through the (sub)harness.

Sonreir said:
Something might be hooked up incorrectly? It shouldn't be possible to get a voltage reading if the Ohhmeter is reading Open Loop.

Alternator hookup should be like so (from alternator to R/R):
Yellow x3 to Yellow x3
White to White
Black to Black

If it's not setup this way already, try running directly from the alternator to the R/R and don't pass through the (sub)harness.

It is hooked up as you said and I don't have a sub harness because I have a custom harness. I also was using two meters to bench test, I will send pictures of my bench test of the r/r

Okay here is how I have bench test set up red and black wire hooked to positive out power supply and green hooked to negative I am also using the yellow meter to see volts to make sure that my reading on power supply is accurate and then out the plug going to alt I have my blue meter hooked to white and black is this correct?
681800c29f4682692384d5217a75284b.jpg

Blue meter should be between the white wire and ground.

Sorry. I probably mistyped earlier.

So blue meter is hooked up to white on alt plug and green on other plug is that correct?

Back
Top Bottom