Shortening harness newbie stupid question

Jutboy

I am going to be shortening the wiring on my gn250 and was wondering which method would be better?
Soldering or crimping
I heard soldering would harden wires but crimp come undone easier.
Due to the special connectors on the loom I can't cut just the ends to shorten

Many thanks

Justin

soldering will always be better, shouldn't harden the wire but may damage the insulation if not done right.
crimping is generally crap unless you use the correct tools (generally not the stamped steel crimping pliers that you get from cheap auto supply stores) and good quality connectors
see sonrier for more info , he's the locally acknowledged guru for all things electricical , he posts often and wisely

Shortening harness newbie stupid question

I generally prefer soldering as well. I actually reuse a lot of OEM connectors by simply grinding down the crimped connection with a dremel and removing the wire, then resoldering your fresh wire onto the connector.

Of course, as spotty stated crimp connectors can be just as good with the right tools.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

advCo said:
I actually reuse a lot of OEM connectors by simply grinding down the crimped connection with a dremel and removing the wire...

Damn, you're hardcore advCo LOL but it is a great option.

Jutboy, soldering is better unless you heat the wires to a point where they're brittle after they cool. Here's my source for crimped connectors http://vintageconnections.com/

They used to be sold out of the small early Japanese connector style but they might have them again by now... and the crimper isn't cheap by any means.

advCo said:
I generally prefer soldering as well. I actually reuse a lot of OEM connectors by simply grinding down the crimped connection with a dremel and removing the wire, then resoldering your fresh wire onto the connector.

Of course, as spotty stated crimp connectors can be just as good with the right tools.

I do the same as advCo....Pops taught me that.

I'd like to add a few other random ramblings in a poorly formatted response style. ;D

I use pneumatic crimpers for all of my work. They exert about 3000 pounds of pressure on the crimp, which is more than you get using a hand crimper.

While I have never had a crimped connection fail on a bike (during normal operations), I have had dozens fail during the assembly / reassembly process. Often times, the mechanical interference strength of the connector exceeds the strength of the wire or the grip of the crimp. If you pull the wires instead of the connector, you can get failures. This has happened a lot less since I changed to a pneumatic crimper, but it still happens. I have never had an off-bike failure of a soldered connection, but I have had a soldered joint fail when riding.

If you have the time and inclination to do so, crimping a connector and then finishing the connection with solder would be the ideal option. I have never had a joint of this type fail under any normal circumstances.

Thanks for all the advice I have now got some uninsulated butt connectors. I also have some ratchet clamper.
Task for the weekend now

Back
Top Bottom