Dear Electric Gurus... I Left key on and now no power? Cb450

davidricci

Hi Electrical Gurus,

I left the key on when timing my 68 CB450 and now there's no power to anything? I have power at the battery and power to the red at the back of the ignition. When I turn the key and test everything grounds out. One set of the points was closed during the infamous key on fiasco. Did I fry a coil that is shorting everything out?

P.S. There is no kill switch on the 68.

Your help is much appreciated! -D

Coils will fry if the key is left on for a considerably long amount of time. You'll know if you did it, they get really HOT and possibly start leaking. They will also not measure out correctly with a multi-meter.

Yep. You definitely fried a coil. I've had the same thing happen, but it only cooked one of them. The exterior remained intact and looked normal, so Test them with a multimeter to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Once you get her fixed there are a few other ways to time, you can use a multi-meter with an OHMs setting with the key OFF. Hook it up exactly the same as the test light and watch the readout. It will have some number or in the case of mine a 0h and once you close the points it should read 0 or some very small number. Meters can be slow so you have to go a little slower when you turn the engine.

There's also battery powered timing lights that provide the light and a power source so again you don't have to have the key on. Like so..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Static-Ignition-Timing-Light-Motorcycles-Scooters-Mopeds-Small-Engines-/291883995201?hash=item43f5a45041:g:lwsAAOxyHIlTaYzN&vxp=mtr

Back
Top Bottom