Endurance inspired '00 Suzuki SV650 project

stange_dk

XS650 caferacer / SV650 Endurance project
Hi all,

After doing a few projects on 70s motorcycles I picked up a '00 SV650S in the Spring and spent my Summer riding instead of wrenching. Good fun!

However, I got the modification bug and heavily inspired by XTR Pepo's amazing builds I have started rebuilding my SV into a late 70s endurance racing inspired bike. In the process I am going to upgrade the SV's biggest weak point: suspension. A shock from a ZX6R is in the mail and I am going to pop in Öhlins fork springs to improve the feel in the front. Along with the shock being 3mm taller, it should also make it quicker in corner lean-in. Since the engine on these bikes is super torquey and fun (mine has K&N filters and has been dynoed with them) I am not going to mess with the powerplant but keep it to styling and handling.

On the list:
- Classic Fairing
- Externally mounted dual headlights
- New seat/modified subframe
- Suspension upgrade
- XR69 inspired paintjob

Here is the bike:
Billede%2009-10-2016%2020.05.01%201_zpsnwlsfnrm.jpg

Here's my inspiration:
suzuki-xr69-1.jpg

barry-sheene-7_0.jpg

Pepo-Suzi-6.jpg

0.JPG

Re: Endurance inspired SV650

and here is some progress...

tail end disassembled (trickier than you would think!)
Billede%2009-10-2016%2021.17.43_zpssioqee78.jpg

fairing off
Billede%2009-10-2016%2022.13.49_zps2dky3vib.jpg

a whole bunch of curvy plastic...
Billede%2009-10-2016%2022.30.13_zpsofxqqk29.jpg

testing with a borrowed seat... doesn't really work because of the subframe's passenger seat mount and grab rail
Billede%2009-10-2016%2023.00.28_zpsf7ms4qbw.jpg

here's the problem
Billede%2010-10-2016%2020.46.45_zpsm5dcabnq.jpg

problem solved
Billede%2010-10-2016%2020.54.01_zpsikebathl.jpg

First mockup with everything taped together. I bought a classic racing fibre glass fairing and found a dual shock seat unit in the workshop that I can use. I'll have to cut the shock covers off but otherwise it fits ok
Billede%2010-10-2016%2021.12.11_zpsawgneuus.jpg

More updates to come :)

thats bitchen man sweet project
ohlins springs dont work any better than any other brand its getting the correct rate and front rear both in balance rate wise that is the first most important susp tune procedure

I've been thinking of using one of these as a base for a project for some years now !

I'll be following your progress with interest. Not sure what style I would go with yet.

xb33bsa said:
thats bitchen man sweet project
ohlins springs dont work any better than any other brand its getting the correct rate and front rear both in balance rate wise that is the first most important susp tune procedure

Thanks! And you're right, I actually chose Öhlins because they're not much more expensive than Wilbers etc. but I can get them in the correct rate for my weight and they are linear instead of progressive. Linear springs are supposed to work better with cartridge emulators... and I plan on getting a set Racetech emulators when I feel like I have the money to spend ;)

Also, the 07-08 ZX6R shock fits the bike and is sprung to my weight... some nice folks in a SV forum had made a shock swap chart with all the data!

Yes! Loved my SV when I had it, but tried to stay away from modifying it! Always thought it would look good with some classic lines on it!

All the electrical components where distributed on the subframe so I'll have to make new mounts and extend some wires to make them all fit in the seat hump.

First, the battery tray tacked on
IMG_5362_zpsfuxrdcf6.jpg

I thought the fairing mount would be recyclable but then figured that it would be too much work to adapt it
IMG_5378_zps7qit0gcz.jpg

So I simplified it :)
IMG_5382_zpscgzj0k1w.jpg

New mount in the making
IMG_5383_zpscifo2axq.jpg

Test fitting on the frame
IMG_5386_zpsdclhcgnb.jpg

And after three rounds of measuring, I drilled holes and fitted the fairing on the front mount - happy times so far! 8)
IMG_5387_zpsddsexyeg.jpg

The tail light got installed as well. I decided to make the hole a bit smaller and insert the whole unit from the inside so the red lens wouldn't protrude all the way. I used a rubber O-ring as a black trim around the lens, I am pretty happy with the outcome :D I now need to make a bracket to hold the light form the inside...
IMG_5380_zpsvcb5qvmk.jpg

Next up are more fasteners for the fairing and seat plus a bit of a puzzle with the electrical stuff...

I've really been debating doing something like this with my 04 SV650 and this is just making it that much harder to leave it alone haha.

focusinprogress said:
I've really been debating doing something like this with my 04 SV650 and this is just making it that much harder to leave it alone haha.

I know the feeling! Mine only lasted 6 months... :D

outstanding work i see no ,nothing, design or concept sqwarlings drawn in chalk or a 12 0=oz surf fishing lead on the floor... must be a in head designer like myself eh ?carry on then http://www.teamhammer.com/team/history/
john ulrich/bruce hammer team hammer were who i remember at the time 1979-1982 being at some of the west coast (sears/laguna)superbike and f1 races to spectate one of them ulrich was the magazine guy.. i remember them well...tragically hammer was paralyzed in 82 and also 82 my close friend jon woo killed at laguna testing a factory honda superbike still in 1015cc for hrc, a very rough year and a time for change they got together and formed the jon woo memorial saftey project along with all the top pros basically a union of riders to let the promoter know safety up the race courses pronto,now or you are done...

check your local military surpluss mechandize store i have picked these places for 40 years and have some really trick brackets and titanium fasteners up the yang,brackets so trick they are hand signed and dated and the casual observer often turns to stone at first gaze
if you can find the metal recyclers scrap yards that deal with military stuff your on your way

That team hammer bike is sweet!

I got my showa shock today, can't wait to test the bike with this upgrade

36b6f1764675ce8e26d666bd41dd228c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Killer. My brother in law has an SV with the GSXR rear shock swap and an R1 front end. It's a blast to ride. Looking forward to more progress on yours!

Back
Top Bottom