Help needed identifying regulator/rectifier components

stonermedina

Hey guys, I impulsively bought a 76' Kz750 with no prior knowledge of how a motorcycle works at all other than there's an engine that makes it go vroom. She's a looker but needs a lot of TLC

Fast forward a few months, I'm learning a bit more and am beginning to tear her apart to bring her to a better place.

Now I'm testing the charging system and I'm looking all around for the little regulator rectifier with fins but this is what I find my self looking at.

Three yellow wires leading me to believe it's some sort of regulator rectifier but I've never seen one that consists of two components
M5AULLa.jpg

73J33NN.jpg

mk0VjW2.jpg

What the heck kind of system is this?

Big thanks in advance for any help or input 8)

Some of the older bikes had separate regulators and rectifiers. That's what you have.

I think Kawasaki changed to unit RR's around 77/78.

hillsy said:
Some of the older bikes had separate regulators and rectifiers. That's what you have.

I think Kawasaki changed to unit RR's around 77/78.
Probably true. The one with three yellow wires is a rectifier, looks exactly the same as the one on xs650's. Some old shindengen unit which lasts very well. Usually all that needs is cleaning up Every connection you can find in the entire harness to restore charging and functionality.

Thanks a lot, you rock dudes. I plan on getting a new RR to clean it up regardless but I was curious. As for the stator, I checked it out and got .8 all across but factory spec calls for .6 max so that's gotta go. I'll be starting a project thread in the new year once all the fun settles down. Appreciate you guys again

stonermedina said:
Thanks a lot, you rock dudes. I plan on getting a new RR to clean it up regardless but I was curious. As for the stator, I checked it out and got .8 all across but factory spec calls for .6 max so that's gotta go. I'll be starting a project thread in the new year once all the fun settles down. Appreciate you guys again

Proof of life for a permanent magnet stator is the AC output voltage - should be north of 60VAC on all three legs at 5K RPM.

Check this first before you chuck it out.

Back
Top Bottom