www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Suzuki GT550 Cafe and Restomod  (Read 4148 times)

Offline kadavenport

Suzuki GT550 Cafe and Restomod
« on: Dec 31, 2016, 11:04:06 »
Hey Guys,
A few years ago my 1975 Suzuki GT550's engine locked up while I was riding down a highway. Luckily I was able to keep it up right, and slid to a stop on the side of the road. After trailering it home, I was able to get it unstuck, but when turning the engine over it sounded like a can filled with buckshot. Long story short, I was pretty sure it had a fried piston and crank bearings and I parked her not having the time and money to fix it at the time. Life happened and after two kids, and after bit of time I got the itch to get her back on the road.

During my motorcycle hiatus, I took up leather work and kept up on my welding projects (pic below is my first attempt at welding an alloy motorcycle seat), and restoring my dad's 1972 Jeep CJ5.

Without tearing into the engine, I started sourcing parts for a rebuild. I was able to get a crank in good condition, pistons, jugs, gaskets, seals and bearings.

I also decided it was time to make the bike sportier and lighter, but want to preserve the stock parts and mounting points on the frame. So I ordered a new headlight bracket, and clip-ons.

After setting the practice seat and clip-ons on the bike, I decided I was ready to really take on this project (and my daughter was supportive too).

Offline Titan performance

• Titan cafe racer builders.
    • Titan Performance
Re: Suzuki GT550 Cafe and Restomod
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2016, 14:09:27 »
From one Suzuki stroker owner to another.......good luck , and watching with interest.

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
Re: Suzuki GT550 Cafe and Restomod!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2016, 15:26:41 »
Subscribed!
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Offline kadavenport

« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2016, 18:51:35 »
Thanks, I must have had luck during the strip down because everything went easy. I did the regular routine of using a baggy and sharpie to label all the bolts and small part and stored them on shelves in my basement. Once the engine was out I cleaned the jugs, and head using a mixture of boiling water/vinegar, and then added baking soda after scrubbing the parts until the mixture was neutral. Then I rinsed the parts in my dishwasher. My wife and I made a deal that if it broke, I had to buy her a new stainless still dishwasher (luckily it didn't).

Before:

During:

After:

Offline kadavenport

« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2016, 19:25:32 »
Ultimately I will be attempting an aluminum tank and seat. This is the template I've started for both.

But priority 1 is getting running after rebuild, tune, and back on the street.

Offline kadavenport

« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2016, 21:15:37 »
When I pulled the old jug I confirmed the trashed piston and crank. The connecting rod bearings were no where to be found, and the piston skirts were bashed to pieces.

Pulled the engine and started the tear down.

Empty frame:

Some thing satisfying about parts piles.

Offline Weasel

• 3rd generation rider
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2017, 00:31:51 »
Love the 70s Suzukis. Looking forward to following along.

Offline kadavenport

« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:51:53 »
Man, these two strokes collect a ton of oil and grime over the years:

After splitting the cases I cleaned them with Gunk Gel. It only did a decent job, so more elbow grease than anything else. Then using denatured alcohol I go to work on the left over gasket material. My dad came over and leant a hand. I think we put in about 3 hours cleaning.

Pulled an all nighter getting the engine back together and torqued down. Gotta love that Suzuki casts the torque order on the cases, and hate them for making the clutch bolts out of play-dough. Yes, I broke a clutch bolt off in the basket and wasted several hours drilling out the bolt, extracting it, drilling the basket and tapping for a larger bolt. The torque specs for the clutch bolts is only 7-10lbs and this was the second one I broke off.

At 8AM the next morning I bolted the engine back in the 550.

It'll be coming back out, but I want to make sure its running right.

Offline kadavenport

« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2017, 19:49:08 »
Happy to report 130psi on each cylinder on the compression test.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline Shoeman

• My old RD tuning pages from the 90's
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:15:07 »
Nice work so far.  Where you able to determine why that cylinder failed? 
I like cilp-ons, clubman's and superbike bars depending on the bike.  And rear-sets.