Draw ( suck) through turbo??

der_nanno said:
Err, my setup is intended for a Virago/XV? So not too sure that this will help you?

Cheers,
Greg

Greg,

You're quite correct - I was just interested in maybe parts. But as the turbo is no good there's probably nothing I could salvage.

Maybe I should have kept my TR1 !!

Yes, guess so Greg ..........

BTW - which Honda minibikes am I looking for to source the oil pump ?

I have fired an enquiry over to the guys who have the GT15 carbon seals, just waiting for a reply.

I have a T3 ( new ) so there is a plan b in the wings !

Gt15 arrived today - perfect condition. Bad news is that it doesn't appear that carbon seal kits ARE available for that model.

Plan b is to blow through a Weber 40dcoe, which I already have. I also have the relevant intake manifold. Fortunately Lotus have a Weber blow through set up on one of their cars, so there is going to be load of relevant information.

Not my ideal set up, but in the circumstances a reasonable comprise.

FYI - the CT20 as fitted to Toyotas comes with carbon seal as standard. Uses ceramic vanes and won't stand ultra high revs.

Are you sure about the CT20? Checked that and it appears to be true, at least certain versions of it. AND I already found a dealer in the UK who has got one for sale... uh oh. Spendy-evening ahead.

That said, the stock carb on a Z750 Twin is pretty much perfect for blowing through, unless I mix it up with some other bike of my past.

der_nanno said:
Are you sure about the CT20? Checked that and it appears to be true, at least certain versions of it. AND I already found a dealer in the UK who has got one for sale... uh oh. Spendy-evening ahead.

That said, the stock carb on a Z750 Twin is pretty much perfect for blowing through, unless I mix it up with some other bike of my past.

Positive on the CT20 / 25 - definitely carbon seal. I've also found several suppliers of rebuild kits and they also specify carbon seal.

Fits a few Toyotas - Mr2 ???

There's the usual new chinabay units £150 or so.

I want to get the actual dimensions before pulling the trigger on that one - I can't afford to get it wrong !

I spoke to Turbo dynamics one of the top turbo peeps in the UK and he suggested the CT20 from his list of carbon seal units. The only issue is that they use ceramic vanes and won't stand serious over speeds. That said the Mr.2 guys are seeing 280+ HP using these units.

Let me know how you get on, and dimensions would be handy if you get one.

I still prefer draw through. I can use the Weber dcoe as a blow through ( as Lotus ) but it's not quite straightforward. I have both Weber and SUs in my stash, so no problem either way.

Looks like I can resolve the oil delivery problem.

One of the Lonesome Twin forum [ KZ750 ] guys has made a piggy back oil pump system to feed an oil cooler. Fits inside the sump - very neat. Bonus here is I can feed an oil cooler - then direct to turbo, back to sump without taking any oil / pressure away from the engine requirements [ original pump ]. He's run this system for many years on a road bike [ no turbo ] without problems. The same guy has also fitted twin plugs [ second spark plug ] and has all the jigs / drawings etc. which he's happy to loan out to the guy who fabbed the Weber manifold - who's also the source of the spare engine.

Anyone hereabouts have any experience / knowledge of blowing through Weber DCOE ? Lotus did it [ Dellortos ] but I can't find any specific mods to to carb.

That would make life very simple as I have a non carbon seal turbo [ GT15 ] in excellent condition and also the fabbed Weber manifolds [ long and short runners.

Appreciate your comments as ever.

Life's good ........................

Tune-A-Fish© said:
Is there a source for that piggy pump, or one off?

It's a one off. The guy is retired now and no longer has access to his former machine shop facilities. Pity as it's one neat solution. My pal is going to see him next weekend to see if he persuade him to make me one.

Other alternates might be electric external units or maybe if I can find a compact car unit and mount / drive it externally - we'll see

Mini dry sump head converted to mechanical would be ideal

b9f74ece01b44aff8b1f01de2bf84dc9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

lotus did theres in a pressure box not by sealing the carb however

lots of others have used them though

th evw guys run them to 8 psi boost with no mods and they work well a little strange to tune (nothing i normally did worked lol) had to figure it out

http://forums.turbobricks.com/archive/index.php/t-75160.html

and i know 2 bmw guys that run 10 psi thru un modded webbers

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?464129-Blow-through-carb-and-turbo

beachcomber said:
Positive on the CT20 / 25 - definitely carbon seal. I've also found several suppliers of rebuild kits and they also specify carbon seal.
I want to get the actual dimensions before pulling the trigger on that one - I can't afford to get it wrong !

Just bought one. Will be about two weeks until it has arrived on my doorstep, but yes, will keep you posted. (Plus I'll have to rebuild quit a few parts of my current setup as I am not too happy with it. Gets in the way with my knee, but then the current T3/T4 Turbo is huge...)

Cheers,
Greg

der_nanno said:
Just bought one. Will be about two weeks until it has arrived on my doorstep, but yes, will keep you posted. (Plus I'll have to rebuild quit a few parts of my current setup as I am not too happy with it. Gets in the way with my knee, but then the current T3/T4 Turbo is huge...)

Cheers,
Greg

Thanx for that Greg. Did they confirm carbon seal ?

No they didn't, as they were pretty clueless. Which made it cheap though. ;)

Thing is, only the early, non-watercooled version is running a carbon seal as stock. (54030 stamped) The later ones can be converted easily, but this means shelling out about 70 Euros on a kit plus having it balanced afterwards, which is another 100 Euros down the drain. I really have to find out, whether the Chinese copies are actually carbon sealed. The info comes from a tear down thread on a Toyota Forum with lots of pictures of the individual parts.

cxman said:
lotus did theres in a pressure box not by sealing the carb however

lots of others have used them though

th evw guys run them to 8 psi boost with no mods and they work well a little strange to tune (nothing i normally did worked lol) had to figure it out

http://forums.turbobricks.com/archive/index.php/t-75160.html

and i know 2 bmw guys that run 10 psi thru un modded webbers

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?464129-Blow-through-carb-and-turbo

Thanx for the info and links.

Lotus used a sealed intake log bolted to the back of the carbs leaving the carbs on display. They also used some sort of fuel pressure regulator, but apart from the advice to foam fill the floats I can't find any further info.

Blowing through the SU is straightforward and been done plenty of times ( Metro turbo ). However, I've already got the Weber, and purpose made manifold - and it looks the bollox compared to an SU !

The GT15 is very compact, and the unit I bought is genuine Garrett and in excellent condition (£65).

... and the GT15 will spool up quicker than you can say *whoooah*. Which is the whole point of this exercise as your internals can't take much boost anyway. 7 to 8 psi will be the safe-zone. Everything above, you might get away with on the 1/4 mile, but even then, if you run too much ignition advance and thus detonation, you'll break stuff *VERY* quickly.

The turbo project is definitely a goer - thanx to all for your invaluable feedback.

Plan is now for a blow through system using the Garrett GT15 - via the Weber 40DCOE and the manifolds I have already.

Now then - you know the old saying - "a friend in need .......... is a pain in the ass".

Well, I'm in need of some of that help.

Due to my well known lack of facilities / skills, I need some bits making / welding etc.

There's TWO PROJECTS IN FACT THAT I NEED THIS KIND OF HELP WITH

Happy to pay - not asking for freebies [ mate's rates would be good though ! ], it's just that I'm well out of the loop with local artisans. All the peeps I used / employed when I had my business are themselves retired -or dead !

Most of the parts I need are small enough to be posted / couriered and simple enough for a sketch / drawing.

There's no immediate rush - just need to get my ducks in a row.

Odd bits of alloy welding, turning a small adaptor [ alloy ] flange, turbo exhaust flange including support mounts.

There, not too proud to ask for help.

Back
Top Bottom