Mounting Solutions for Seat & Pan

stephentcandrews

Hey all,

Currently rounding the corner on my 1979 GS750 build. Next up is my seat; hoop with studs is en route from Sault City Builds and just a final bit of chopping is left to do to shorten my frame to its final length.

The dilemma I'm having now is once my seat pan is made (going to use wood), do I affix my pan to my frame and then mount the seat in a removable manner, or make the seat and pan one contained unit and then mount both to the frame?

With either route, what's the best way to mount my seat to the frame? Just drill through the pan into the frame, insert bolts, and then secure with nuts underneath? And if I mount the seat and pan separately, any recommendations on how to secure the seat to the pan?

Thanks in advance, guys.

Cheers,
Steve

Sent from my Nexus 6P using DO THE TON mobile app

Attachments

• 1487646653396.jpg
    1487646653396.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 326
First off, why wood? If you're planning on doing any sort of riding at all it won't last more than a season or two. Second, no, do not drill through the frame. Weld a couple of tabs to the interior of the frame and attach through those. As far as seat/pan being separate or integrated, that really is up to you and how you plan to construct and cover the seat.

coyote13 said:
First off, why wood? If you're planning on doing any sort of riding at all it won't last more than a season or two. Second, no, do not drill through the frame. Weld a couple of tabs to the interior of the frame and attach through those. As far as seat/pan being separate or integrated, that really is up to you and how you plan to construct and cover the seat.
Thanks for the feedback man.

I was considering wood because it seems the most accessible to me. I was thinking about using something higher quality than plywood and using some sort of sealer on it. I also don't have access to any metal working tools, so sheet metal of any kind means having to outsource some of the build. I'm hoping to do as much of it myself as possible.

I don't have access to a welder. Any suggestions that don't involve welding?

Stanton Trading 18 by 30 by 1/2-Inch Cutting Board, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032AM0LW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_OvtIEw9kDS1Wp
This makes a pretty good seat pan. It takes staples well for securing your seat cover. You can also use heat to form it to a frame that isn't flat. And it cuts easily with a jig saw or band saw.

That's a pretty awesome idea! Good call. How did you go about securing it to your frame? And did you wrap your seat around the cutting board or just attach it on top of it?

Thanks for the tip!

I drilled through the pan and put threaded inserts in it. The mounting bolts go through a cross member between the subframe and into the seat. As for the cover, it does stretch around to the bottom of the pan and staples into the underside.

This...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2015-SUZUKI-GSXR-GSX-R-600-750-REAR-PASSENGER-SEAT-LATCH-MOUNT-CABLE-OEM-/252510518760?hash=item3acaccbde8:g:-jYAAOSwawpXvLsP&vxp=mtr

with this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-SUZUKI-GSX-R-750-GSXR750-REAR-SEAT-MOUNT-BRACKET-Z2-/351928698666?hash=item51f095c72a:g:-FgAAOSw5cNYSgJN&vxp=mtr

irk miller said:
This...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2015-SUZUKI-GSXR-GSX-R-600-750-REAR-PASSENGER-SEAT-LATCH-MOUNT-CABLE-OEM-/252510518760?hash=item3acaccbde8:g:-jYAAOSwawpXvLsP&vxp=mtr

with this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-SUZUKI-GSX-R-750-GSXR750-REAR-SEAT-MOUNT-BRACKET-Z2-/351928698666?hash=item51f095c72a:g:-FgAAOSw5cNYSgJN&vxp=mtr
That's a pretty solid idea. I'll have to do some measurements and see if that would work for me.

Have you seen that done before on a bike similar to mine?

cyclefreak said:
That looks really good. Essentially the same look I'm going for, minus the upswept hoop.

Do you have/can you find a picture of the threaded pieces you used to mount the pan to the frame? I think I know what you're referring to, but just want to make sure. Thanks!

0eb89413886cc559afd990283a4df568.jpg

Very similar to this. I found them at the hardware store, Lowe's if I remember correctly. Pretty simple installation, just drill a hole into the seat pan, the insert screws into that hole, and then a bolt will see into the insert.

stephentcandrews said:
That's a pretty solid idea. I'll have to do some measurements and see if that would work for me.

Have you seen that done before on a bike similar to mine?

I got the idea from Tune-a-Fish, who's a member here. I know he uses them a bunch. I use them on all of my bikes.

2182b9e034861d3813c3b75f5ab7b0f2.jpg

I believe these are what I actually used. The flange actually rests on the top side of the seat pan. Pretty much impossible to pull the insert loose if you over tighten the bolts holding the seat in place.

cyclefreak said:
2182b9e034861d3813c3b75f5ab7b0f2.jpg

I believe these are what I actually used. The flange actually rests on the top side of the seat pan. Pretty much impossible to pull the insert loose if you over tighten the bolts holding the seat in place.
Gotcha. That's the part I had in mind. Should be super easy to locate. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom