www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: XS400 café/tracker/scrambler  (Read 2614 times)

Offline offroadjeepin

XS400 café/tracker/scrambler
« on: Feb 20, 2017, 23:19:09 »
Figured i might fit in a bit better over here. Switching from a different site.

I've had this 81 XS400 for about two and a half years. When I purchased it was running pretty rough. Determined that is was the very crappy air filters and knew i was going to do custom exhaust and would need jetting. So I tore it down......there it sat for 2 years......i got the itch to finish the it about a month ago.

Yo bring you up to speed. I've worked out the tail section which will utilize a honda grom LED tail light that gets mounted to the underside of the tail. I then started on the exhaust this was my first time working with mandrel bent tubing. Its super easy to work with. Results are a 2 into 1 header with a CR250F left side dual muffler mounted underneath. I've been trying to figure out the shocks. The dual setup really takes from the tracker feel. So I've decided to mono shock it. Im currently trying to get my hands on a Buell XB shock. I placed an order with J-Rod10 for his universal rear sets today. Can't wait to get my hands on them. Well heres a few pictures and a video of some of the exhaust build.

Enjoy!

Offline offroadjeepin

Re: XS400 café/tracker/scrambler
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2017, 23:21:11 »
Exhaust

Sent from my SM-G900V using DO THE TON mobile app

Offline offroadjeepin

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2017, 23:22:29 »
Built a work table. My back is very happy.

Offline offroadjeepin

« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2017, 23:25:13 »
Started doing some Youtube videos. I will probably do more of thr bike as I can. Heres one of my first times doing a build type video. Let me know what you think.

Offline mothgils

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2017, 12:36:27 »
Looks like a great start!

Where did you source the exhaust tubing from?

'74 CB550 build thread - http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=13680.msg130739#new
'76 CB550 "Scrambler" Project Warpig - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=72747.0
Hoodcat Moto
Forrest Fabrication

Offline offroadjeepin

« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2017, 13:16:07 »
Thanks! Tubing is from www.mandrelbends.com great selection of tube. I used 1.25" for the front and the last 90 to the muffler is 1.380"

Offline killerx

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2017, 11:31:53 »
Looks good so far. Will be following.
05 Victory Hammer(110hp 115tq @ the wheel)

73 Honda Cl350(Haven't decided what to do with it)

Too much of everything is just enough.

Offline redwillissuperman

• Keep it simple- engine, wheels, bars
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2017, 15:17:24 »
Following. I have a XS360 that has been on the back burner for too long now.

Offline offroadjeepin

« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2017, 20:08:32 »
Glad you guys are liking the build. We came to an agreement on the price of the XB shock. So in the meantime I will be finishing the exhaust. I have a few collars to turn on the lathe then get the wrap on. Any of you guys installed exhaust wrap? Do I need to paint the bare steel tubes first? Was planning on some ceramic high temp paint down first then the wrap. I got Ti wrap. Do they sell a clear coat for the wrap? I see black....
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2017, 23:19:32 by offroadjeepin »

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2017, 20:46:46 »
I am doing a XS400 for my wife now.

Yes, you have to paint the header, one of the things about wrap is that it holds water against the pipes. If you have run the bike, the heat will burn it off, but even some high temp engine paint would be better than nothing.

I did the ti wrap on my bike. It was a lot easier then I expected. I did them on the bike, as it allowed me to pull it tight.

They also make a tool to tighten the stainless tie wraps, it also worked really well and was under $10.