www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Another build thread? Why the fuck not! KZ650 daily driver build.  (Read 5921 times)

Offline JSJamboree

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT BIKE OF 2016
  • Drink Local
Just finished my KZ650 (700cc bore) and Andrews #20 Cams.  I put 86 miles on it so far since the rebuild and I am OBSESSED!  So much power.  It's a nasty sleeper.

I'll be tuned in to see what you do.  Good luck!

Right now I dont plan to mess with the engine if I can help it.  However, depending on how much I love the bike maybe some of that will be done next winter

Offline The Limey

• Load Bearing Member
That King and Queen seat is an abomination on one of then most gracefully styled bikes of the Seventies. Hopefully you'll have a ceremonial burning when it comes off.

Aside from that, sounds like you've got a great project brewing.
If it ain't broke, then I haven't been hitting it hard enough.

Offline JSJamboree

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT BIKE OF 2016
  • Drink Local
First round of fleebay came in. Gonna try to get some time in the garage tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SrgtBear

• The arsenic has oddly shaped feet...
What's in the boxes?

Ted

Kawasaki Kaiju (怪獣) - 79 KZ650 - 700cc Bore Cam Rocket - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39748.0
75 Yamaha XS500B Cafe - Completed - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=14392.0
74 Honda XL 125 - Original - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=25706.0

Offline JSJamboree

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT BIKE OF 2016
  • Drink Local
Well one of them was a '1976 kz650 seat' but ended up being a ltd seat so I'm not fighting the seller on giving me my money back (didn't make a model with this seat in 77) other stuff is some wiring harness stuff as mines poopie.

Offline JSJamboree

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT BIKE OF 2016
  • Drink Local
Unfortunately the bars I got from tifun where bent so they went in the trash. Had a set of bike master Daytona bars I cut up and threw on instead then. I liked the free ones better, little higher little more pull back but I'll run these for now and tifun had no idea what they came from.

Going to have to get new throttle cables, clutch cable, and brake line... these are all about 8" to long from the mini apes that were on it.

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
I had super bike bars on my '78 650 and the kz400/440 clutch cable works good for them. Motion Pro Clutch Cable 03-0005 - 48.5" long  with 4" slack, it's a half inch more slack than stock but you can adjust it out. The kz1000D throttle cables work good for both the push and pull but they have a .25" less slack than stock so it's a little tight to get it on but they do work.Motion Pro Throttle Cable 01-0233 - 40" long with 3.75" slack. One of my pet peeves is overly long cables.
---------------------------------
'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
These seats look really good imho.:

--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
The Shovelhead springer chopper
A bunch of KZ's...some Suzukis', and a disassembled CB550
--

Offline JSJamboree

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT BIKE OF 2016
  • Drink Local
I had super bike bars on my '78 650 and the kz400/440 clutch cable works good for them. Motion Pro Clutch Cable 03-0005 - 48.5" long  with 4" slack, it's a half inch more slack than stock but you can adjust it out. The kz1000D throttle cables work good for both the push and pull but they have a .25" less slack than stock so it's a little tight to get it on but they do work.Motion Pro Throttle Cable 01-0233 - 40" long with 3.75" slack. One of my pet peeves is overly long cables.

These bars are not as low as superbike bars.  The bars that came on it were really large, so these cables are super long.  I was looking at just getting stock cables.  Do you know if both push and pull are the same cable? I was looking at the motion pro 03-0001, but some people say its the pull cable, some say its the push cable, and no one says its both.  However, I cant find any other cables out there.  If you think i'll still run into length issues with my daytona bars i'll look into those kz100d cables, but I get annoyed quick fucking with throttle cables and that sounds like a sure fire headache. This weekend i'll run the current measurements and see what size cables seems to fit best.

These seats look really good imho.:

That does look nice, but not very good for 2up.  I want to make sure these says a full 2up bike for the lady. I really like this seat from ebay but im not paying that much.  At this point im just going to take my current couch seat to the local guy and see what he would charge to form it up into one similar.