Running rear turn signals as running lights

work9to5

See you in the wind.
So last night riding home from work I almost got hit from behind. I was stopped at a light guy behind me in an SUV didn't see me and swerved right at last minute nearly missing me. A$@hat ended up pulling up next to me and saying "I couldn't see you, you need to wear brighter clothing". Resisting the urge to get off my bike and show him the bright orange backpack and reflective details on my armor jacket and gear that I was wearing, close up after I had pulled him from his vehicle...I choose to just drive on.

We've all had close calls like this if you've been riding long enough. And this had actually been on my mind for awhile. I changed the brake light to an led awhile back. And have been procrastinating about changing the turns into running lights. But now's the time I guess after my wake up call yesterday.

From doing a bit of research I'm thinking there's three ways of doing this
1. Buy a boat trailer module (there's a post by Soneir on how to do this somewhere on the site)
2. Wire in resistors and a diode (this is what I'm leaning towards unless someone can elaborate a different way using a different flasher relay)
3. Different flasher relay? Or perhaps a four prong relay wired inline? (Can't find enough info out there, someone on a shadow forum used a 4prong flash relay to do it but there was no info on how they did it) anyone know?

The bike like all my bikes has two wire signals + and - leads. I'm thinking run a lead from my brake running light to each of the turn signal lights with a resistor and a diode inline. And run a separate diode in each of the + signal lines so they don't blow fuses. This vid has and example of how I'm going to try to do this. Not sure exactly what diode/resistor to use yet. Going to source from radio shack

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rjST1MgUJ1o

Let's talk about this, I think it's important! Help me get the info out there as how to make our ride(s) safer. I'm gonna post with how to and pics on the process

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I usually add separate running lights and position them away from my tail light/turn signals. That way they don't get "lost" by the light from the tail/turns.

I thought about that and may add a running light strip to my license plate area. But would like to keep as much of a "streamlined" ascetic as I can. So am going this route for now.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom