How to tell if rear shock bushings need to be replaced.

Supergyro

Looking at my CB360 swingarm here and it seems logical that a 40 year old rubber component of the suspension may be a prime candidate for an update. Am I on the right track with my thinking, or is that bushing a ride-it-til-it-fails part?

If it should be replaced are there any modern bushings that bring some performance gain, or should I look for genuine Honda?

Shock bushings or swingarm bushings? If shocks, I think the consensus would be to replace or rebuild the whole unit. If you're referring to the swingarm bushings, yes I would replace them, and there are likely more modern upgrades available than stock, likely bronze and I believe there may be some aftermarket that have grease fittings incorporated for easy maintenance and longevity. Speaking from a CB750 background though, not specific to the 360

coyote13 said:
Shock bushings or swingarm bushings? If shocks, I think the consensus would be to replace or rebuild the whole unit. If you're referring to the swingarm bushings, yes I would replace them, and there are likely more modern upgrades available than stock, likely bronze and I believe there may be some aftermarket that have grease fittings incorporated for easy maintenance and longevity. Speaking from a CB750 background though, not specific to the 360

There are rubber bushings in the swing arm where the lower shock mount is. These bushings go bad and being they are rubber means they should be replaced. Is it a necessity? Probably not but if your looking to get everything out of the suspension it could help.

With that said though I would rather put my money towards a new pair of shocks than the bushings as I pulled my shocks apart and when you compress and decompress the shock you can feel oil on the shaft.

firebane said:
There are rubber bushings in the swing arm where the lower shock mount is. These bushings go bad and being they are rubber means they should be replaced. Is it a necessity? Probably not but if your looking to get everything out of the suspension it could help.

With that said though I would rather put my money towards a new pair of shocks than the bushings as I pulled my shocks apart and when you compress and decompress the shock you can feel oil on the shaft.

You still need to replace the lower shock bushing if it is worn. Using new shocks with worn bushings will make the bike handle like it has worn out suspension, even though the shocks are new. For the price of bushings, to not replace them at the time of shock replacement is just foolish.

Ok then, as I figured I will be replacing the bushings. Stock Honda the best route or is there a better performing alternative?

Back
Top Bottom