Calling All Two-Stroke Guru's

What2007

Hello all, I've been a small twin Honda guy for the last 10 or so years and just recently got into the 2 stroke world.

I'm hoping you guys can help me pinpoint what exactly it is that I have and what I'm going to need to get this thing up and running again.

Just got this at an auction (26 hours of total driving) and I was under the impression it was an RD200 originally. After doing some research though (and actually looking at the serial on the thing after I shelled out the money for it) it looks to possible be either a very late CS3 or one of those weird CS5's with CS3 markings. I don't really know. Being the oldest Yamaha I've ever owned, I'm not quite sure how things worked with this company as far as serial numbers went.

Once again, looking for input on model and things that you see are missing or things I should look into replacing. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3810.JPG
    IMG_3810.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 294
  • IMG_3796.JPG
    IMG_3796.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 300
  • IMG_3799.JPG
    IMG_3799.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 300
  • IMG_3800.JPG
    IMG_3800.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 295
  • IMG_3801.JPG
    IMG_3801.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 288
  • IMG_3802.JPG
    IMG_3802.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 303
  • IMG_3803.JPG
    IMG_3803.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 297
  • IMG_3805.JPG
    IMG_3805.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 303
  • IMG_3807.JPG
    IMG_3807.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 301
  • IMG_3808.JPG
    IMG_3808.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 303
  • IMG_3809.JPG
    IMG_3809.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 286
1971 CS3 200cc 2 stroke Yamaha road bike.

Falls between the enduros and rds.. Nice little bike.

firebane said:
1971 CS3 200cc 2 stroke Yamaha road bike.

Falls between the enduros and rds.. Nice little bike.

Problem is though the air cleaner assembly on this bike does not match a CS3 air cleaner on the parts fiche. It matches the one for the CS5 though. I read on Air Cool RD's website that some early CS5's were stamped as CS3's. I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row for when I apply for the title and order parts.

All that matters as far as the title goes is that the numbers on the neck match the paperwork.

If you haven't joined here:http://www.2strokeworld.com/forum/index.php You will get all your answers there. I'm a later reed valve guy when it comes to Yamaha's.

Great bike man! I love the Yamaha 2 smokers! Jimmer is right, 2 Stroke World is the go to for 2 strokes. USA2strokers.com is a decent backup resource if you can't find what you need. I have a '76 RD400 and I've gotten all of my parts from economycycle.com so far. John gives a 10% discount to 2strokeworld members. I'm interested in this project! I haven't seen many CS3s.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

That's a great looking little machine...I remember them well. Let us know how you make out with it.

So we have confirmed over at 2 stroke world that it is indeed a 1972 CS5. I have ordered the basic carb rebuild parts and a few missing pieces that I could see.

I'm on break next week so I will try to see if I can get her smoking again.. This is my first two-stroke so I'm a little concerned with hooking up the oil injection stuff. Might just run premix until I can figure out the hose routing. Anyone have an idea of what ratio I should aim for?

From the pictures it looks like the injection lines are still in place. So what else is there to hook up? Looks like you have one supply line into the pump and two smaller ones from the pump to the cylinders. Just prime it first with the wheel than you should be good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

Use genuine Mikuni parts not suduco carb kits. I run the pump on all my Yamaha bikes. Buy a rebuild kit for the pump and do it yourself. They are very reliable. You should at least inspect your top end before starting. My mentor would slap me if I didn't tell you to do the crank seals. With fresh top end, rebuilt pump, and new crank seals that little Yammy will rip. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom