First Restoration 78' CB750F

survivor1911

So this is my first bike restoration

Next to my high school there is a small shop and I saw this old gal wasting away to nothing for a while so I told myself, man I gotta save her. So I did, I got the bike with whats on it, the pod air filters and the tach/spedo assembly, owners manual and title for $200
It is a 1978 Honda CB750F Super Sport that has been sitting for about 10 years, 9 under a canopy and 1 out in the elements where I found her. She seems to be in decent condition, mostly surface rust with faded and chipped paint. Tach and spedo were not on the bike, the guy had them inside the shop so no one would steal them, tach reads just about 20,000 (the shop owner said he thought it had 35,000 so it was a pleasant surprise when I saw under 20)
So first thing is to get the thing running, doesn't seem like it will need to much to do that, got some new oil in it already and gonna start work on it soon, looking to put no more that 3000 in to it and have it done in about 2 years, not in a big hurry.
The pic at night by the dumpster was the night before I took 'er home.

Any advice would be well appreciated!

Attachments

• 0406171943.jpg
    0406171943.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 249
  • 0409171850a.jpg
    0409171850a.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 256
  • 0409171850b.jpg
    0409171850b.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 242
  • 0409171850c.jpg
    0409171850c.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 244
  • 0409171851.jpg
    0409171851.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 247
  • 0409171850.jpg
    0409171850.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 240
Re: My First Bike Restoration

nice score
before you try to start it, take the plugs out (and replace with new ones anyway) and try spinning the motor with a rattle gun or even a big socket on the nut on the end of the points cam to get the new oil into the engine. maybe also a quick squirt of WD40 down the plug holes to give the pistons an easy transition back into movement
while you've got the plugs out check for spark, could save a lot of swearing if you at least know theres a problem before you start searching
prob also pull and strip the carbs as they will be inevitably blocked / full of crap
good luck and let us know how it goes

Re: My First Bike Restoration

The engine was not seized at all and I put new oil into and then started giving it a number of kicks with the kick starter, I did that on saturday and gave it a number of kicks then, yesterday and will today, I took out the plugs and checked them and they seem good (Planning to replace them), I tried getting a spark but forgot that there was no ignition, so first I gotta complete the ignition system which I think is all there and good other than the ignition.
First thing is to complete ignition and get spark and clean out the carb.
Thanks, Ill keep updating.

Just got a new battery for it, filled and charged up, hooked it up, nothing working right now so next step is to properly rewire everything.
Starting to gather parts, ignition, cables and getting her in condition to run.

What all is the ignition system missing? A set of points is probably a pretty cheap way to get it going.

Some possible wiring and the ignition switch, ive tapped some wires on the batter terminal so lights work, horn doesnt at the moment and stuff.

Could someone maybe also toss a full wiring schematic my way? Ive got all the wiring pulled apart and separated (lights, horn, bar switch connections and all), but having trouble finding what goes where.

Back
Top Bottom