www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: FRANKENHONDA II the 1982 DOHC CB 750F2 Build  (Read 21355 times)

Offline cb250nproject

• If you can make it better do so
Re: FRANKENHONDA II the 1982 DOHC CB 750F2 Build
« Reply #210 on: Oct 09, 2017, 18:35:36 »
Yea, I think they may be in the way. I had to move mine.

Have you got any photos of how and where you moved your kick stand, Iíd be interested to see how those before me dealt with this issue... to be honest it hadnít even crossed my mind until you guys brought it up.

I had noticed the angle of the kick stand changed because the bike is now lower but i didnít even contemplate the fact it might not return to the correct place... :/

Iíll try to sort this seat pan before tackling that issue, one thing at a time otherwise Iíll become overwhelmed.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
first cafe build was an incomplete learning experience, more of a test run for the real thing FRANKENHONDA II

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #211 on: Oct 09, 2017, 22:40:26 »
Ok so the resin dried

So I grabbed a marker and drew the lines I wanted to cut

I removed the seat pan and original mould ..

Unfortunately my glad wrapping wasnít as effective as I would have liked it to be...rookie error to be fixed once fibreglassing is complete...

here is the new and old side by side for comparison, no one would have known the difference in quality except me, unfortunately that would have done my head in.

Thatís how she sits now... there are a few spots that need to be built up and smoothed out.... so now Iíll wrap the frame up again and hit it round two, this time the plan is to get it as close to plum before just finishing it with bog as opposed to the bulk amount I used on the original

first cafe build was an incomplete learning experience, more of a test run for the real thing FRANKENHONDA II

Offline esmoojee

« Reply #212 on: Oct 10, 2017, 01:26:00 »
Here you go. I got a tc bros and had it welded further forward close to the front engine mount.

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #213 on: Oct 10, 2017, 01:29:15 »
i love this bike, its badass

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #214 on: Oct 10, 2017, 01:36:39 »
i can almost see your damper set up, there are a few guys with CB750s on the forum Im on here and we are all scratching our heads on how exactly to mount that.

I looked at mounting it on the steering stop but when i turn the froks it looks like they will contact the damper.

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #215 on: Oct 10, 2017, 18:17:54 »
So the finish on the seat pan was really rough and textured.

So what I did was just mix the resin and pour it on without Abby additional fibreglass matting

Iíll wait to see how it turns out, currently in hospital waiting room baby day today ... watch this space

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #216 on: Oct 11, 2017, 12:34:42 »
If you want it smooth you have to finish it the way you want and make a mold from the plug, then make your final product from your mold.  Or add a bunch of material to it and finish it . It will probably be heavy though if you go that route.

And good luck at the hospital !!
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2017, 12:37:03 by 1fasgsxr »

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #217 on: Oct 11, 2017, 12:45:44 »
First issue is with that chop mat. That stuff isn't meant for smooth finished applications. What you should use is 6oz biaxial cloth common for boatbuilding applications. I used 5-6 layers on the seat on my 360.

You have the right idea of using resin to smooth, however straight epoxy is not ideal to shape to a final form. West System makes a featherlight additive for their epoxy which is a powder you mix in that essentially turns it into a epoxy based version of bondo. This is the stuff you want to use to build up on the exterior, then sand down to get your final, smooth form.

6oz mat

Seat after initial glass layup, finished off with a coat of epoxy w/featherlight additive.

After a few coats of featherlight and lots of sanding

I should note that with 5-6 layers of mat and quite a bit of epoxy filler, this seat pan only weighs about 3-4 lbs.
"He broke the mirrors off his Cadillac, 'cause he doesn't like it looking like he looks back."

74 CB360 - Luna - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=63294.0
82 GS550L - Tracker-ish - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=67229.0 - Sold
74 XL350 - The Turd - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70252.0
Suzuki FA50 "No-Ped" - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=71189.0
73 Suzuki RV125 -http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=73875.0

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #218 on: Oct 14, 2017, 05:44:14 »
 Ok so still at the hospital but had to do a run home so stuck my head in to check out my handy work

The seat pan came up really nice, the resin seemed to self level

But I think your right Iím going to need the fibreglass cloth over the rear section so it finishes nicely.

Iím just not sure if this transition to the tank works nicely or I need to tie it on some how, to tie it on will be very challenging I believe

I need a pros eye to nail it

Offline Ant36

« Reply #219 on: Oct 14, 2017, 22:50:29 »
There is also stuff called quick fair that is used in marine applications for finishing. It's Like the west systems stuff but easier to use.

1980 CB750F