www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Kawasaki KZ500/750 street tracker *** Finished bike pictures ***  (Read 2121 times)

Offline stidds

So wanting to buid a street tracker but go along a route less travelled, so I purchased a 1980 Kawasaki KZ500B, however quickly decided I wanted more power so I shoe horned a KZ750 engine in the frame and combined that engine with a set of KZ1000 carbs, the engine was a tight fit but fit it did and it certainly looks lovely filling the frame.

This is the original bike with its new engine, so pretty much my starting point for this project.

I have started tearing the bike down, I have changed the standard 'square' tank to a KZ750 twin tank and have started removing the clutter from the frame (mounts that are no longer needed).

The biggest job that I will face is to have 19" wheels front and rear with large flat track tyres, so I have sourced two KZ1000 front wheels (19x2.15 size) that will happily hold the tyre width, however the main thing will be to mill a couple of spacers/adapters to enable the front wheel to accept a sprocket and rear disc. I have started with the conversion but have lots more work to do, it shouldn't be too big a problem though. I really wanted to keep the Kawasaki 7 spoke wheels on this bike and of course I could have saved myself a whole load of effort and money by using a standard 18 rear wheel, but where is the fun in that?

As you can see I have also changed the standard shocks to adjustable piggy back items.

« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2017, 21:06:09 by stidds »

Offline stidds

Re: Kawasaki KZ500/750 street tracker
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2017, 12:21:35 »
I also started today on making a subframe to accept the fibreglass flat track seat unit, it just needs a bit of fibreglassing now to finish the job off as I had to cut the seat unit to sit on the frame the way I want it to. 

« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2017, 20:44:01 by stidds »

Offline stidds

« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2017, 12:27:58 »
I am using the original forks as they are in lovely condition, I may have to lower them, but not sure yet.  I have also machined down the original speedo drive to fit with the new KZ1000 front wheel and to space the wheel correctly in the forks.

Also started to fit the KZ750 tank, I will need to weld in a new petcock bung as the original is too close to the carbs, but that isn't too big a job.

New front brake master cylinder, which is a lot smaller than the OEM, with matching clutch.

« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2017, 20:47:33 by stidds »

Offline stidds

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2017, 12:33:08 »
Next job is to design and build some adapters for the rear wheel to allow it to a sprocket and the orginal rear brake disc.  It will be the first time I have machined something this big so wish me luck.  Fortunately I will have my father-in-law helping me with the lathe work (he is a genuis, which helps LOL).

I will update the thread very soon with some updates.

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2017, 12:45:33 »
Fun build.
--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
The Shovelhead springer chopper
A bunch of KZ's...some Suzukis', and a disassembled CB550
--

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2017, 07:07:48 »
Cracking along, nice project.

How will the rear sprocket cope with direct chain drive with no cushdrive? Or do you plan to incorporate some form of rubber dampener system? Interested... :)

Offline stidds

« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2017, 13:51:34 »
Cracking along, nice project.

How will the rear sprocket cope with direct chain drive with no cushdrive? Or do you plan to incorporate some form of rubber dampener system? Interested... :)

I am looking at using something along the lines of Ducati cush drive rubbers/pins inserted inside the sprocket side hub adapter to give the damping, if they are good enough for a Ducati superbike, they are good enough for this bike.
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2017, 14:00:43 by stidds »

Offline Rat_ranger

« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2017, 15:24:12 »
You might check what rubber pieces carrozzeria uses in their fancy forged wheels.  The cush drive on them has bolts with long heads that fit into the rubber, they run through the cush and the sprocket bolts on the other end.

http://www.allenmoore.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/ZRX_cz-bearings.jpg
Xs650

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2017, 06:55:15 »
Pretty sure race bikes don't have cush drives ?????  ;)
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

Offline stidds

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 17:22:58 »
Some updates to my build, I have been working on the exhaust and wiring etc, but took the bike out into the sun today to have a look at the stance of the bike.

« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2017, 20:51:33 by stidds »