Pamco electronic ignition??

jammer415

Been Around the Block
Anyone running the Pamco electronic ignition with e-advancer?

I ordered the kit, but undecided if I should install it due to the problems I've read about (one cylinder not firing, etc). Any feedback from someone who installed it? How has it ran on you?

Also, all of the images of the kit installed, show it up exposed to the elements... Is that how we are suppose to ride around? Or does the cover fit on top just like over the points?

Nobody running electronic ignition? Pamco or Dynatek?

I'm actually leaning toward running points... Any feedback, anyone?

I use Dyna on most of our bikes - CB160, CB77, GT750 triple and have supplied them for GT250 and others. That would be my vote.

I run Dyna on most of mine, as well. I've known people with good luck with the PAMCO, but I can't speak from personal experience. I also have a buddy running the Tytronic ignition with great success. And I have a buddy that built his own with sensors from a Toyota distributor and GM modules. They aren't that complicated. Personally, I have no issues retaining the mechanical advancer like with the Dyna or Tytronic. As long as the springs are in good shape and it's kept clean and lightly greased, it works well.

I had a Pamco on my 450 (without e-advance). I just replaced it with one from Charlie's place. The Pamco rotor had excessive wear where it interfaced with the advance mechanism. I had to have my first unit replaced because it didn't work. Second one worked fine.

You run it with the points cover on.

e7e8acd022353d0ec2369e34e3f3e996.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I have a Pamco with a-advance for my cb360. Unfortunately, it is awaiting install, so I can't speak to its actually functioning.

All great info, thank you for chiming in.

I'm glad to hear that others are at least using electronic ignitions. I already have the Pamco unit w/ e-advancer, so I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

So once the e-ignition is installed... before I set the timing, I need to adjust the cam chain and adjust the valves, correct??

jammer415 said:
So once the e-ignition is installed... before I set the timing, I need to adjust the cam chain and adjust the valves, correct??

Yes, Adj cam chain. You dont have to do the valves. But its never a bad idea to check them simply for preventative maintenance sake.

Ok since I'm bringing this bike back to life and have never seen the valves, I might as well check them out.

Regarding the cam chain... Am I missing something? (See photo). Shouldn't there be a screw in the hole at the end of the cylinderical tube?

Attachments

• IMG_7110.jpg
    IMG_7110.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,019
Spring loaded tensioner. Loosen the lock nut then the set screw, the spring pushes the rod and takes up the slack, tighten the set screw and lock nut.

Right, but some manuals say to do it with the alternator cover off, while the Honda manual says to losen the screw and retighten while the engine is running??

Which is better?

...and do I have a screw missing?? (See attached photo, has a screw where I dont..?)

Attachments

• IMG_7109.JPG
    IMG_7109.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 798
Which photo looks correct?

The first photo (mine) has the empty hole

The second photo (random CB450) has the plunger in the hole

Is my plunger missing? Or does it come out a bit when the bike is running?

Is there nothing in there at all? There should be a spring loaded rod with a pad at the end that pushed on the roller mechanism against the chain. It's not a big deal removing it from the motor to inspect, just make sure you have a gasket or make one.

So the spring loaded rod with a pad at the end is held in there by a screw like in the second photo?

I don't see anything in there... Could it be in so deep that I just don't see it?

Does it pop out at all when the bike is running or should I be able to see it regardless?

Yeah. The set screw holds the rod. When you loosen the set screw, the spring forces tension and pushes the pad towards the wheel and puts pressure on the cam chain. So, it's totally conceivable that it's in so far you can't see it. Personally, I've never seen one that deep although my CB750 is about 10 - 12mm deep.

Ok, so the adjustment screw and bolt are the ones on top, but the screw I'm missing holds the rod in place which actually puts the pressure on the cam chain?

Do you know the exact names of the screw and rod in case I need to order them?

jammer415 said:
Ok, so the adjustment screw and bolt are the ones on top, but the screw I'm missing holds the rod in place which actually puts the pressure on the cam chain?

Do you know the exact names of the screw and rod in case I need to order them?
You have everything there. That screw on top holds the rod. The bolt holds the screw and prevents it from vibrating loose. Stick a small screwdriver in the hole and see how far it goes in. The rod is probably there. If not, you can probably buy a whole new used unit for cheap enough on eBay. I don't know exactly which bike you have, but you can look up a schematic and order the missing part if it's missing.

Get a gasket (or make one) and pull it off, only way your gonna go understand how it works and know for sure it's not seized from lack of maintenance

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Ok so I stuck a zip tie in that hole to see how deep it is and it stops right where the adjustment screw is pointing down.

So regarding adjustment... The Honda manual says to loosen it and then tighten it while the motor is running, correct?

I've also read another way is to remove the alt cover and line up the crank while the engine is off.

... which way is better?

Back
Top Bottom