Wiring Lengths - How important are they?

black350

How critical is the length of a wiring run? How much does the resistance of wiring come into play in this application?

I'm making a harness from scratch and I plan on only giving enough length to meet my components and a few extra inches on some runs to make changes later on if necessary.

My electronics box is small and the run from the battery + to the fuse (cb350) is only about 3 inches total. Would this be too short of a run? I was thinking I could snake the wiring around the box to give it a little more space but I'd like to be sure. Is there a way to calculate how long a run should be or should it be fine if not taken to extremes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a motorcycle it doesn't make an appreciable difference. Use the correct wire gauge for the load, and minimize lengths on high load items (headlight) and you'll be fine.
There's no such thing as too short of a wiring run!

SONIC. said:
There's no such thing as too short of a wiring run!
There is if it's feeding to one of the handlebar controls and disconnects connectors when you turn the handlebars. ;)

In most cases, voltage drop doesn't become a real issue for at least 50ft. For a 3amp circuit, the voltage drop on an 5ft length of 18ga copper AWG is only about 1.5% which is like 1/5th of a volt.

irk miller said:
There is if it's feeding to one of the handlebar controls and disconnects connectors when you turn the handlebars. ;)

In most cases, voltage drop doesn't become a real issue for at least 50ft. For a 3amp circuit, the voltage drop on an 5ft length of 18ga copper AWG is only about 1.5% which is like 1/5th of a volt.

I know someone would have something to say about that ha!
Very good point

I leave mine 5-6 inches longer and fold a section under my tank, it's like 3 2 inch sections stacked per wire (I use all black wires cause I know what there for) that way if I move something or put something else I have a tiny bit of wiggle room and it doesn't effect the look of the harness. I don't wrap my wires I just use all black wires solder and black shrink wrap then zip tie it with black zip ties.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

CQ Custom Designs said:
I leave mine 5-6 inches longer and fold a section under my tank, it's like 3 2 inch sections stacked per wire (I use all black wires cause I know what there for) that way if I move something or put something else I have a tiny bit of wiggle room and it doesn't effect the look of the harness. I don't wrap my wires I just use all black wires solder and black shrink wrap then zip tie it with black zip ties.

You use all black wires? I pity the next owner of that handiwork.

Aside from tape, other options exist. ;)

Attachments

• 1888775_589887837772794_1240268714_o.jpg
    1888775_589887837772794_1240268714_o.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 224
  • 1898855_592061090888802_1821784379_o.jpg
    1898855_592061090888802_1821784379_o.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 234
Back
Top Bottom