Clicking Starter Solenoid

djsmiles

Been Around the Block
Hi, I'm wiring up my 75 Honda CL360 from scratch. If I have it hooked up how I think it's right after studying the forums here and looking at way too many diagrams nothing happens when I push the start button. If I hook up the black wire from the coils to the brown wire from the ignition then i have power to the start button and when I push it the starter solenoid just clicks. I have power all the way to the starter but nothing more than a click.
1, Could it just be that my new battery is too low on power or what could I be overlooking?
2. Does this mean that my ignition is bad because the black wire has no power?
3. If so, can I just use the brown wire instead or do I need a new ignition?

Here is the diagram i put together from others diagrams. I haven't hooked up any accessories yet. If something is wrong please let me know.
Update, I found some mistakes and updated my wiring diagram.

Attachments

• wiring.png
    wiring.png
    182.6 KB · Views: 196
djsmiles said:
Hi, I'm wiring up my 75 Honda CL360 from scratch. If I have it hooked up how I think it's right after studying the forums here and looking at way too many diagrams nothing happens when I push the start button. If I hook up the black wire from the coils to the brown wire from the ignition then i have power to the start button and when I push it the starter solenoid just clicks. I have power all the way to the starter but nothing more than a click.
1, Could it just be that my new battery is too low on power or what could I be overlooking?
2. Does this mean that my ignition is bad because the black wire has no power?
3. If so, can I just use the brown wire instead or do I need a new ignition?

Here is the diagram i put together from others diagrams. I haven't hooked up any accessories yet. If something is wrong please let me know.
Update, I found some mistakes and updated my wiring diagram.

1.) It's a possibility, yes. Hook up a car battery with jumper cables and see if it makes a difference. Other possibilities include a starter button with weak contacts or a bad solenoid.

2.) I would think so, yes. You should have power on the black wire with the key in the first position. Second position is park and will only have power on the brown wire. Double check the key position before making any rash decisions. :p

3.) Better to replace the ignition.

Thank you Sonreir. The battery is a new antigravity 8 cell. the starter solenoid is new. the starter button is for 12v but I don't see what the difference could be, is there one?
So my wiring diagram looks OK? I was wondering about the green w/ red wire coming off the stator. am i right that goes to ground?

Not in the way you've set it up.

If your starter button is proving the link to ground, then the other wire on your solenoid (green/red, usually) needs to be for power.

On a later model 360, it would usually be the other way around, however. Starter button sends power through the yellow/red wire, to the solenoid, with the green/red wire grounding through the neutral switch or the clutch switch (either of these switches can be bypassed and you can run the green/red wire to ground).

oh good to know. almost all of the wiring diagrams were missing the green/red wire so I wasn't sure what to do with it. I also didn't know the stator needed power, I thought it only created power. so is this correct?

Attachments

• wiring.png
    wiring.png
    197.1 KB · Views: 196
Not quite there yet, no.

The stator does not need power. Grounding from the red output on your R/R to the green/red in the stator will cause a fire.

The light green/red wire leading into the stator is your neutral switch. If you're not running with the neutral switch and don't want the "safety" feature of being unable to start the bike unless it's in neutral, you can skip it.

oh i thought you said it goes to power. sorry. so thats why the green/red wire is missing from most diagrams, because they just don't use it? I'll just delete that from my diagram.
One more question, for now, do you know if my starter is supposed to have a ground? I don't remember any other wires connected to it, does it ground through the engine?

Starter grounds through the engine, yes.

In my previous posts, I was talking about the green/red from the solenoid (not to be confused with the light green/red for the neutral switch).

Ok I'm confused. i asked I was wondering about the green w/ red wire coming off the stator. am i right that goes to ground? and then you replied about the solenoid so I read back through the string here and am confused as to what I got wrong. the green/red wire coming off the solenoid I have hooked up to power. the yellow/red goes to the start button. I've eliminated the green/red from the stator. Is this right then?
and thank you for all your help, you're the only one who replied to me and I greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• wiring.png
    wiring.png
    196.4 KB · Views: 190
Light green/red from the stator is the neutral switch. You can skip it if you're not wanting a neutral light. It doesn't need to be grounded or connected in any way.

Thank you, Sonreir. I am going very minimal, no dash lights other than a basic analog speedometer.
thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom